The Sewing Place

How do you narrow it down to just one?

wrenkins

How do you narrow it down to just one?
« on: December 25, 2019, 07:57:39 AM »
Well how do you?
My monochrome quilt is still sitting in kit form while I fanny about on Pinterest trying to decide on one.  :S
I'm doing two same-but-different quilts for my twin bedroom and I have my feature fabrics which will be scattered willy-nilly onto black and white combos to create something beautiful. That's the plan. I have everything ready to go except the final pattern and I just can't decide. Every one I see becomes the new best one.  :(
How do I pick? Are there picking criteria or do I stick a pin in?
Harbouring resentment is like swallowing poison and waiting for the other person to die!

Lisalou1965

Re: How do you narrow it down to just one?
« Reply #1 on: December 25, 2019, 07:59:36 AM »
Oh dear, I feel your pain...I want to start a new quilt - I think I want to do a sampler block quilt - I think that is what it is called...but how to decide what I want to do!
If you see me with a seam ripper, now is not a good time

Iminei

« Reply #2 on: December 25, 2019, 08:55:08 AM »
Try a block (the main block) of each/any one that takes your fancy in gash fabrics ... nice but not your main beauties .. and see if you like the technique, are happy with the result .

You might find that that FPP Lone Star pattern that looks fabulous drives you to distraction when you actually have to make it.

My First BIG quilt was The Opus, it was a traditional block made simple by Anita Grossman Soloman class on craftsy and was so quick, simple and easy to make that I had soon pieced an entire double quilt ... of course as I was very much a novice in those days I had no way of quilting it until about 3 years later when my proficiency levels and machine had caught up with my ambitions!!!

Simple can be stunning Wrenkies!
The Imperfect Perfectionist sews again

wrenkins

« Reply #3 on: December 25, 2019, 10:50:10 AM »
I get my kicks from the fabric choosing and the calculations. The piecing does my head in so simple it will be. I have the attention span of a gnat so it has to be quick or it will join the pile in the big box of undones!
I'm looooking at this  :loveit:
Harbouring resentment is like swallowing poison and waiting for the other person to die!

Catllar

« Reply #4 on: December 25, 2019, 11:01:45 AM »
Love the black and white one!
If life gives you lemons, add to gin and tonic !

Iminei

« Reply #5 on: December 25, 2019, 11:05:11 AM »
Im hoping resurrect the BOM next year;

Im thinking a sampler quilt in black and white plus a pop of colour ...  Traditional blocks made modern.
« Last Edit: December 25, 2019, 11:07:07 AM by Iminei »

Ploshkin

« Reply #6 on: December 25, 2019, 12:25:47 PM »
If you want simple piecing and a a multitude of layout variations you can't go wrong with log cabin.
It also lends itself to Quilt As You Go as each log can be stitched onto waddling and backing then folded back.  It would work well too with black and white for the dark and light.
Life's too short for ironing.

Lowena

« Reply #7 on: December 25, 2019, 17:35:13 PM »
Square in a box lends itself to monochrome with a pop of colour, is quick and easy and looks effective. My go to pattern for a quick make
Triumph of hope over experience :D

Iminei

« Reply #8 on: December 26, 2019, 09:13:49 AM »
I agree ... and Low if you had to get rid of all your quilts (roll eyes smilie) you could have shoved that batik one Dorsetwards ...

Acorn

« Reply #9 on: December 26, 2019, 10:41:09 AM »
I'd say stick a pin in, and if you're disappointed with the result try again... but I think Iminei's advice is probably better!
I might look as though I'm talking to you, but inside my head I'm sewing.

Pearl

« Reply #10 on: December 27, 2019, 10:49:35 AM »
I get my kicks from the fabric choosing and the calculations. The piecing does my head in so simple it will be. I have the attention span of a gnat so it has to be quick or it will join the pile in the big box of undones!
I'm looooking at this  :loveit:

If you like that, is it the one?