The Sewing Place

Heavy linen for skirt, online shop?

Nerys

Heavy linen for skirt, online shop?
« on: November 11, 2019, 09:27:32 AM »
I have not bought apparel/garment :frock: fabric in decades. Looking for an online shop that sells a heavy quality linen? :thread:
Also looking for linen thread for hand sewing? :) :thread:

snoozi soozi

Re: Heavy linen for skirt, online shop?
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2019, 19:44:13 PM »
Merchant and Mills stock lots of linen, Montreux Fabrics have some, Truro fabrics also  :)
Let it sew, let it sew, let it sew

BrendaP

« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2019, 20:58:22 PM »
Linen thread is often sold for lacemaking, so try some of the lace suppliers.
Claire's Lace
Roseground
Jo Firth
Makit Lace

The most readily available brands are Bockens (Swedish) and Fresia (Belgian).
Thickness-wise; if you want it to compare to regular polyester sewing machine thread like Gütermann SewAll you need size 80/2 or 90/2 or 100/2.  The lower the first number the thicker the thread, the higher the number the finer the thread.

Nearly all linen threads are spun in the S direction which is usually better for (right handed) hand sewing - less likely to twist up on itself.  Sewing machine threads are Z spun to suit the way the thread moves through the machine.
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

BrendaP

« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2019, 21:01:01 PM »
Sorry @Nerys , have just realised that you are in Europe - where exactly, it's a big place!

Also, I would suggest using regular cotton or polyester in your machine, it won't like the S twist of linen thread.
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

Nerys

« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2019, 22:15:03 PM »
The linen thread is for hand sewing, not for machine sewing.

Kwaaked

« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2019, 12:57:12 PM »
With hand sewing, an all purpose thread that is conditioned with beeswax or silk thread would be easier to find and sew with.  A quality needle is more important then thread in my experience, since you can always treat the thread to not shred and use the recommended length for hand sewing to control it better if there is a problem.

Although I prefer Gruschwitz brand I have no idea where to get it retail, but Amazon carries Gutermann brand if you want the linen thread.