The Sewing Place

Refashion this poncho for me

Vezelay

Refashion this poncho for me
« on: November 12, 2019, 15:25:28 PM »
When I broke my elbow last year nothing I owned fitted over my arm cast so a kind friend offered to buy a couple of ponchos on my behalf. I wore one of them once, the other still has its shop tag on. Turns out ponchos aren't my thing.

Both are made from quality jersey - one cotton, the other viscose blend. I'd like to refashion them rather than just donate to charity.

All I can think of is neck warmers - I should find a free pattern for one of those easily enough. But I'm lacking inspiration.

They're basically a doubled rectangle open on 2 adjacent sides and the longer closed side has an opening at one end.

Any other ideas please? And no, I definitely won't wear them as is.
  [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]  
  [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]  

« Last Edit: November 12, 2019, 16:03:25 PM by Vezelay »

SewRuthieSews

Re: Refashion this poncho for me
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2019, 17:06:48 PM »
How about cutting a front and back t shirt shape from them, keeping the neckline and adding sleeves from another fabric?
If its not long enough for a front and back you could piece creatively.

Vezelay

« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2019, 19:00:49 PM »
Creative piecing is worth considering @SewRuthieSews  - sounds a bit adventurous for me  :) but I can check a couple of tnt patterns for size.

Greybird

« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2019, 21:45:20 PM »
Can you possibly cut sections out of both sides to create an all in one jumper shape? Done on an overlocker it should be fine. The sleeves and hem would probably have a shaped edge but this might look effective over a long-sleeved top.

SewRuthieSews

« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2019, 22:37:16 PM »
Yes @Greybird's idea sounds good, a pattern like this would work (sort of depends how big the poncho is and how big you are, the one poncho I had only came to the elbow)

Vezelay

« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2019, 23:30:57 PM »
Good idea @Greybird. That could work particularly for the poncho with the collar (which I'd like to retain). They're both asymmetric on me and the sleeves when evened up would come about to the elbow. But over a long sleeve top it could work. Tomorrow I might take a photo of me or my dress form wearing one, give us a better idea. 

That New Look pattern looks useful @SewRuthieSews - might put it in my basket anyway :).