The Sewing Place

Help needed with Overlocker blades

Vezelay

Re: Help needed with Overlocker blades
« Reply #15 on: November 14, 2019, 22:41:20 PM »
@Helen M like Ohsewsimple, I use the longest stitch. I don't loosen the tension though because I'd probably forget to reset it after  :|. I don't backstitch but I tend to use a similar colour thread to the overlocker and generally don't bother to remove it afterward as it's trapped in the overlocker seam. I machine baste my jersey garments a lot, especially sleeves, as then I can overlock with confidence!

Helen M

« Reply #16 on: November 14, 2019, 23:15:58 PM »
Thank you @Ohsewsimple easy and logical I'll give it a try!

That's a good idea for the overlocker too @Vezelay. The one I use is a 3 thread only machine so I seam then trim, but I have recently acquired a 4 thread one but prefer the old 30 year old one. I always like to try the garment before cutting away any excess.
Stash Busting 2024 - Goal: 25 metres
So far:  1.5 metres  ------ Donated : 0 metres
Items decluttered: 55

Ohsewsimple

« Reply #17 on: November 15, 2019, 14:38:21 PM »
@Helen M like Ohsewsimple, I use the longest stitch. I don't loosen the tension though because I'd probably forget to reset it after 

Hahaha.  Ok I wasn’t going to own up but yep, been there done that!   That’s why I thought it important to point it out.  ;)

Lachica

« Reply #18 on: July 27, 2020, 23:17:28 PM »
After my recent incident with a hidden pin, I ordered a replacement lower blade (as I could see a notch out of it) from the dealer I bought the machine from. He had to order it from Brother in Germany. It's still not here, but at the same time I ordered both blades from a Chinese supplier on eBay. These arrived in 11 days, looked good and DH (engineer) pronounced them good quality & he fitted them. Big mistake. The blades were chewing fabric, the upper blade was pushing cut off bits of fabric up & back into the overlock chain & couldn't be retracted properly as it's too thick & the wrong shape. The lower blade wouldn't locate properly in the machined recess. DH has now 'fettled' the originals to remove the damage & the machine is working fine again. Thank goodness, as it's less than a year old. An expensive lesson. :scream:
Mary
2020 stash: not gonna count, not gonna feel guilty.

Acorn

« Reply #19 on: July 28, 2020, 09:27:46 AM »
Interesting... has he any idea as to the problem with the replacement blades?

Experience with my sewing machines tells me that they are very, very fussy over bits and pieces, and it generally isn't worth trying out generic parts - although I know many machines are fine with them.  Mine won't even use bobbins that aren't branded.
I might look as though I'm talking to you, but inside my head I'm sewing.

Helen M

« Reply #20 on: July 28, 2020, 11:23:03 AM »
Was interested to read your story @Lachica. I had a similar problem with my 30 year old Brother overlocker about 5 years ago and located some new blades from Bedford knitting machines on eBay. I had used the company previously and rang them before ordering, they are Brother stockists. I ordered blades and thought about changing them myself. I rang Bambers (fairly local to me) as they service Brother and asked if I could change them myself. The guy gave me a couple of pointers and I managed it okay, problem solved. A year or so ago I noticed the same thing on a couple of fabrics, heavier ones, so ordered another set for good measure. I haven't changed them over as yet as I found that increasing the pressure and width of stitch as much as I could (mine is a 3 thread only machine with a small width adjustment) and sewing slowly on heavier fabrics has stopped the problem.

Sorry that was a bit long winded!

Can I ask which machine you have?
« Last Edit: July 28, 2020, 14:52:00 PM by Helen M »

Ohsewsimple

« Reply #21 on: July 28, 2020, 12:29:45 PM »
Never worth putting cheap parts in your machine. 

Lachica

« Reply #22 on: July 28, 2020, 15:02:10 PM »
@Helen M it's a Brother4234. Not a year old yet. When I rang the dealer about a new blade I expected him to sell me blade replacement & a service (that's what I'd have done) as it's still under warranty. I'd have accepted & paid. Changing the blades was very simple, there's only one position they will fit. The new Chinese blade is the wrong shape to fit the machined recess. The upper blade seemed ok in the cutting position and sort of worked but when folded out of the way it hit the bottom of the lower blade. I turned it over by hand so found this out without causing damage. Unfortunately, on the advice of DH I ordered 2 more sets from the same company - and I've contacted to ask to cancel but it's too late  :facepalm:  I expect DH will machine the blades down to match the original. @Acorn @Ohsewsimple A useful lesson & I will try to get a refund from the supplier but don't hold out much hope. Will now order a genuine pair to keep in reserve.
Mary

Helen M

« Reply #23 on: July 28, 2020, 19:50:33 PM »
That's the top of the current range isn't it @Lachica?

Lachica

« Reply #24 on: July 28, 2020, 23:24:41 PM »
@Helen M I'm not sure where it fits in the range, it has a needle threader which sold it to me, and variable width stitch which has been surprisingly handy. I bought the extension table too, wouldn't be without that now. It's also a lot easier to thread the lower looper than on the 1034 which I had before. Push a button & the whole looper assembly pops out for threading.
Mary

Helen M

« Reply #25 on: July 29, 2020, 09:16:11 AM »
Yes the lower looper threading is great, mine has the same mechanism that the 1034 but I'd say the rest is even easier than the 1034, it must have been its forerunner. It has the differential feed (all the others I looked at didn't) and I went for the 3 thread one, as back in 1989 the £100 extra for the 4 thread was an awful lot more to pay!