The Sewing Place

Would you believe it???

Lowena

Would you believe it???
« on: November 13, 2019, 18:12:32 PM »
As most of you know, I only do P & Q. 90% of my makes are quilts. Ok so far..... Wouldn't you expect that to have penetrated the mind of someone I live with??
We were talking about the possibility of reducing our use of central heating. OH said " if we needed extra warmth in the bedroom, we could always add blankets to the bed "  :S. I said " or a quilt??? " to which he replied " Oh yes, maybe"
Hmmmm....... Thoughts please  :D
Triumph of hope over experience :D

Acorn

Re: Would you believe it???
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2019, 18:20:35 PM »
Just put one onto the bed and let him see how lovely and warm and snuggly it is!
I might look as though I'm talking to you, but inside my head I'm sewing.

Lowena

« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2019, 18:23:43 PM »
@Acorn I don't think he's a fan....I think he just humours me  -< No wonder I give all my makes to charities  :D
« Last Edit: November 13, 2019, 18:26:55 PM by Lowena »

Lisalou1965

« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2019, 18:32:47 PM »
Lowena, I think Acorn has hit it on the head. Put it on the bed and let him find out for himself. My father was not a fan, until I made one for him and my mother ...now they are both sold on it. In fact, so much so, that I know when it is cooling off as my mother informs me she has put "my quilt" on the bed!

Lx
If you see me with a seam ripper, now is not a good time

Lowena

« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2019, 19:12:22 PM »
Might try that, thanks. Trouble is, he does the bedmaking because he thinks he does it more thoroughly than me  :D

Lowena

« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2019, 19:31:24 PM »
Contentious thought........I'm not actually sure that a quilt IS as warm as a blanket or fleece throw???????

Greybird

« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2019, 19:33:24 PM »
Since when did they ever take any notice of what we were doing? OH said to me the other day "You've got a message from, you know, that knitting thing you go on" He meant TSP.

Ploshkin

« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2019, 20:20:42 PM »
Yes, I would believe it @Lowena I could easily imagine  my DH saying something like that.
We use a quilt on top of the lightweight duvet when it is very cold.  We have also used a fleece blanket.  I think the quilt is just as warm (I use polyester batting).
Life's too short for ironing.

Sheilago

« Reply #8 on: November 14, 2019, 00:35:07 AM »
I use a quilt all year round ( made to match the colour scheme of the room) : on top of a thick duvet in winter and a thin duvet in summer. When it’s cold, like now, I really notice if the quilt has slipped down, so it does add quite a bit of warmth. In summer I often push it off if I’m too warm and when the weather’s really warm( maybe 3 or 4 nights here!) we use just a sheet with the quilt on top. Your quilts are beautiful @Lowena - can’t think why he’d not be a fan. :[

Renegade Sewist

« Reply #9 on: November 14, 2019, 08:05:26 AM »
Is re-education on his part a possibility?   8)

I do find a knit fleece blanket very warm, light and fluffy. Quilts are warm too. Currently on the bedzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

HaHa! I left that row of z's, as I fell asleep here just now. Almost Midnite. Must be bedtime.

On the bed I have a quilt with cotton batting, fluffy knit fleece throw, smaller quilt, also cotton batting over my feet and a woven fleece throw on the top . My room is cold!
Hey Bill! Read the manual!  Hehehe.

wrenkins

« Reply #10 on: November 14, 2019, 08:23:48 AM »
It's the 'single' life for me.

My stock answer in situations such as this is "Go Home!"  0_0

Harbouring resentment is like swallowing poison and waiting for the other person to die!

BrendaP

« Reply #11 on: November 14, 2019, 09:28:44 AM »
Contentious thought........I'm not actually sure that a quilt IS as warm as a blanket or fleece throw???????

A quilt with a single layer of wadding isn't as warm as a duvet, but you don't need a duvet all year round.

We use a quilt with a sheet during the summer; on the hottest nights it's sheet only.  Spring and autumn it's a duvet then when it's really cold in winter the quilt, or a lightweight blanket goes on top.
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

Gernella

« Reply #12 on: November 14, 2019, 10:29:09 AM »
Get a duvet, far warmer.  Ours is 13.5 tog but is two buttoned together so it can be split to the lower tog for summer.  We only had the full amount on one year and it was just too heavy so we now just use the 8.5 one in winter and provided it  is given a good shake you have no need for anything more on the bed and no radiator on.  There is a fleece throw straddled across the bottom of the bed but that's for the old cat to have her afternoon snooze on.  She has a thick coat but looses a lot of hair and for some reason it never sticks to this throw.

We always sleep with bottom and top sheet on under the duvet as well.  Being lazy it means you don't have to wash the quilt cover as much.  Then you can choose what you have next to your skin when you sleep naked.
Stash extension 2024- 6.1 meters
Left at the end of 2023 - 66 meters now (includes fabric found hidden out of sight)  Lining fabric not included

Lowena

« Reply #13 on: November 14, 2019, 10:41:07 AM »
@BrendaP I definitely need a duvet all year round  :o
@Gernella  we have a duvet....winter weight. This would be on top of the duvet
« Last Edit: November 14, 2019, 10:43:17 AM by Lowena »

Bodgeitandscarper

« Reply #14 on: November 14, 2019, 11:14:57 AM »
I only have down duvets, can't bear anything heavy on me - a cotton patchwork quilt would be far too heavy for me, and of course it would squash the down and the duvet wouldn't be very efficient then.