The Sewing Place

Easing back gently

Catllar

Easing back gently
« on: November 15, 2019, 15:19:09 PM »
So the next round of costume sewing is starting. I have 15 crossover tops to make for our littlest dancers - some of who are only 3 years old this year. Going traditional flamenco red this season for them.

A simple batch of waistcoats , only 8. Stretch lightweight denim, should be an easy sew. These will give a new look to the skirts I made a couple of seasons back, also in the stretch denim. The zero budget has shrunk to minus zero this year -  the association is in the red so we  have nothing to spare for costumes. I expect make do and mend will be on the cards again.

Perhaps I'll start next week!
If life gives you lemons, add to gin and tonic !

Fabric Lover

Re: Easing back gently
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2019, 09:14:01 AM »
Wow that doesn’t sound like easing back to me!
Stitching in Staffordshire with Style! (Well hopefully anyway)

Catllar

« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2019, 19:42:50 PM »
Believe me, it is! 0_0

Catllar

« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2019, 21:07:40 PM »
Feeling a bit better today so started the cutting out and...ran out of fabric ...grrrr.

MitchOfTheNorth

« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2019, 08:05:58 AM »
I remember those days - trying to make something out of nothing - costumes pieced together from leftovers.  If I need to get stuff done, I just put on Nutcracker music - it still induces anxiety for me & a burning sense of "have to get it done".
Stashbusting 2022
Goal:  50 meters
Total:  32.5 meters

Catllar

« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2019, 22:34:14 PM »
All finished, just got to wrap them up. Finally there were 17 of the little buggers!

Lollipop

« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2019, 11:03:57 AM »
I'm trying to motivate myself to get on with costumes and tutus for comps on 1st February but Christmas and a fair bit of lethargy are getting in the way. I have several pieces started and waiting for fittings, which are very difficult to arrange as the kids have so much going on at this time of the year.
I feel your pain @Catllar regarding budget. I'm lucky when making troupe costumes for our dance school as they appreciate the cost of everything! That and the fact that I am by far the cheapest of all their costumers.  :P
Was Sewnanny

Catllar

« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2019, 15:22:16 PM »
Those of you who have proper money for your costumes are soooooooo lucky!

Catllar

« Reply #8 on: December 15, 2019, 16:42:56 PM »
Grrr and double grrrr. 2 of the tops I made turned out to be unnecessary - they decided after 2 goes that it wasn't for them so they never came back. still, positively we have 2 more costume pieces we wouldn't otherwise have had! In fact we have three. remember I made these tops without having seen the children or having any measurements, purely their ages.

I was told that one of the little ones is "7 years old but she's chubby" so I made a 10 yr size. As soon as I saw the child I knew it would go nowhere near her and I was right, so I have to make her another one as it won't do for her to be left out  I'm now cutting youngster size 14 from Childhood Treasures and using an adult size 8 for the sleeve width.

I'm surprised all the others seem to fit although it's had to get a good representation when they are cramming them on over the top of poplin flamenco dresses complete with 3 layers of frilled sleeves! They were determined to wear them!
« Last Edit: December 15, 2019, 16:49:01 PM by Catllar »