The Sewing Place

Antique quilts

Lisalou1965

Re: Antique quilts
« Reply #15 on: November 19, 2019, 07:08:32 AM »
Wow @Iminei That binding is very neat. I would love to do that - is there a tutorial somewhere?
If you see me with a seam ripper, now is not a good time

Iminei

« Reply #16 on: November 19, 2019, 08:20:17 AM »
I'm the tutorial !!! hehehehehe

Its easy @Lisalou1965 ... which bit are you struggling with!
The Imperfect Perfectionist sews again

Lisalou1965

« Reply #17 on: November 21, 2019, 08:54:33 AM »
@Iminei - I love that blanket stitch, but have never used that stitch on my machine - I suspect she is perfectly capable of it (being an expensive machine, just me that is below standard here -  but I am not sure I could get it looking that good! What stitch length did you use, as that looks quite long. I shall have to practise.

Iminei

« Reply #18 on: November 21, 2019, 09:19:58 AM »
Before I finish the binding I always take one of the cut off tails of binding , pop it on top of some wadding and fabric and try out the stitch.

I alter the stitch length (how far it travels along the binding before swinging over) and stitch width (how far over the binding it swings)

When I do small applique ie on the 2020 coverlet, I use a small width, when I do a wide binding a larger width.

Horses for courses ..... really I like the look of the stitch ...

There is a really detailed destructions on binding at the end of The Cot Quilt from Start to Finish tutorial.

Oh and one vital thing, your machine MUST HAVE a mirror image function for this to work ie the stitch that swings over onto the binding must swing to the left. That way you have all the bulk to the left of the needle.

Lisalou1965

« Reply #19 on: November 21, 2019, 09:44:50 AM »
Yes, my machine has a mirror function - but I have never used it before! I have a lovely machine, a Bernina 450, a gift from my insane husband when I first started sewing. At least it gives me plenty of growing space!  :D 

I will wander off and practise at some stage - will have a good look at the tutorial, thanks Iminei!

Iminei

« Reply #20 on: November 21, 2019, 11:24:06 AM »
The first quilt I machine stitched the binding down on, (Think it was Pink in 2017) I was fretting about how to get the bulk of the quilt through the harp when someone ... on here or was it the other place ... asked if I had the mirror function ... I too hadnt used it before, Hell didnt even know I had it .... but it changed everything!

Renegade Sewist

« Reply #21 on: November 21, 2019, 12:12:30 PM »
@Iminei  I like that stitch. Haven't tried it. Are you machine sewing onto the back then folding around to the front with this on the front? Looks that way, just clarifying.

My Brother not only has a mirror function but has this stitch and a couple other stitches in both right and left versions built in. It's a small machine but quilter friendly. Plus, as it has a ME module it warns me when a bobbin is getting low. I can't tell you how many times I would be at the LQS sewing with friends and someone would have one or two sides of binding on a king size quilt to discover there was no bobbin thread.
Hey Bill! Read the manual!  Hehehe.

Iminei

« Reply #22 on: November 21, 2019, 12:18:09 PM »
Are you machine sewing onto the back then folding around to the front with this on the front?

Depends on how Im feeling. Generally the side you first stitch the binding on will have the smallest binding width (tho not always if you leave the needle set at 5/8 or to the left instead of 1/4)

Sometimes I want a lot of binding, almost like a mini border, at the front sometimes on the back.