The Sewing Place

Sewing Speed

Acorn

Re: Sewing Speed
« Reply #15 on: November 20, 2019, 12:21:32 PM »
When I had my introductory class for my machine I was amazed at how fast the other people on my course sewed!  I'm a total snail by comparison.  Or maybe a tortoise.
Or maybe a perfectionist...  ;)
I might look as though I'm talking to you, but inside my head I'm sewing.

Lowena

« Reply #16 on: November 20, 2019, 12:54:09 PM »
That's me told!!
That's one reason I don't do clothes making
Triumph of hope over experience :D

Sara-S

« Reply #17 on: November 20, 2019, 13:39:17 PM »
I use the sped limiter most of the time.  For piecing, I always do. At my machine’s fastest speed, I feel like the fabric is running away from me.  Also, the vibration is a bit much, since it sits on a plastic folding table. 
« Last Edit: November 20, 2019, 17:43:17 PM by Sara-S »
You can't scare me. I taught high school for 32 years.

Goth Gardiner

« Reply #18 on: November 20, 2019, 13:48:53 PM »
I don't use the foot in my sewing machine as I have had numerous issues with my right hip that make doing so for any length of time uncomfortable. I struggle with using the overlocker for the same reason. This response only applies to dressmaking and the odd handbag.

I do everything using the start/stop button on my computerised jamone. I decide at the start of each seam whether to set the speed at its slowest or a bit quicker. I quite often then speed up. I can hold the fabric with both hands and then hit the stop/start button within a couple of stitches at a medium speed. If necessary I use the up/down button for individual stitches.

I have no idea whether this makes me a tortoise or not, but I do know that for the dress I have just finished I didn't need to unpick anything.
There's no workman, whatsoever he be, That may both work well and hastily

Renegade Sewist

« Reply #19 on: November 21, 2019, 10:41:42 AM »
I use the sped limiter most of the time.  For piecing, I always do. At my machine’s fastest speed, I feel like the fabric is running away from me.  Also, the vibration is a bit much, since it sits on a plastic folding table.

@Sara-S usually you can improve the vibration if you can move the machine so it's fairly centered over a leg on the table. Also try putting in on a length cut to fit your machine of that shelf liner with the open spongy surface. I took my serger to the LQS and it was hopping on the table. One of the gals had a jar opener with her, about 8" square. We put just that under one foot and moved it closer to the leg. It was night and day improvement. This stuff from Dollar Tree is what I used.

Hey Bill! Read the manual!  Hehehe.

Sara-S

« Reply #20 on: November 21, 2019, 12:39:55 PM »
@Renegade Sewist I already have a shelf-liner mat under my machine.  Unfortunately, centering it over a leg is not an option, as this table's legs are only at the corners of the table. 

In the foreseeable future, I will be shopping for a better table. But for now, vibration is still a limiting factor. On the other hand, so is my skill level.  At the very fastest speed, I always feel like the fabric is running away with me and I don't sew very straight.
You can't scare me. I taught high school for 32 years.

Renegade Sewist

« Reply #21 on: November 21, 2019, 20:50:14 PM »
@Sara-S , still move as close to a leg and front edge of the table as is comfortable. Usually this means moving your machine to the right front area. Plan B takes more work. Get a thin sheet of a firm material I use a sample of Pergo flooring. Oh worked as the Pergo rep so I kept his samples. The gripper mat goes on the table, Pergo goes over that and sometimes another layer of gripper shelf mat on top. And as you do, use the speed limiter. I use mine as I frequently shift weight for my back and have been known to press down on the pedal doing so. Oops!  >:)
Hey Bill! Read the manual!  Hehehe.