The Sewing Place

Christmas tree napkin tutorial

Lilian

Christmas tree napkin tutorial
« on: November 19, 2019, 23:05:44 PM »
Just watched this and thought I would share it.   :)

xmas tree napkins
Willing but not always able :)

b15erk

Re: Christmas tree napkin tutorial
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2019, 09:07:51 AM »
@Lilian , what a good tutorial!  Might have to try that...

Jessie
Jessie, who is very happy to be here!!  :),  but who has far too many sewing machines to be healthy, and a fabric stash which is becoming embarrassing.

Lilian

« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2019, 09:20:40 AM »
 @b15erk  Glad you like it, I will try it too. I watch all the Jordan videos. I love to see the industrial machine working (enviously) and Donna is so easy to watch  :)

Renegade Sewist

« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2019, 09:29:57 AM »
@Lilian  this is a nice tutorial. I've never seen them done with the tree trunk though.

Easier way to mark them and cut. You can use fat quarters for this. Two fat quarters yields two napkins. For a template use freezer paper and draw your half circle on it. Before cutting, press your two fabrics right sides together. Don't iron like this woman did and call it pressing. Lightly press the template onto your top fabric. Cut with scissors or rotary cutter. They are ready to sew and perfectly lined up. I've seen them made up with ric-rac or pompom fringe inserted into the curved edge. Makes for nice decorations on the tree.  :flower:

Here's a good print version to make these for people who learn better that way.

They are great gifts year round. No need to limit it to C'mas fabrics, especially if you leave off the trunk.

BTW, thanks for the link. New shop to me. Cheap US shipping. Yay. My LQS closed and the other ones in town are meh. Jordan has a lot of free quilt patterns. I'm really liking a couple of the precision precut kits. I signed up for the mailing list. Hope they have some sales for Black Friday.  :devil:

ETA: you can reuse the freezer paper template many times.
The clever cat eats cheese and breathes down rat holes with baited breath. w.c. fields

Renegade Sewist

« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2019, 09:33:46 AM »
@Acorn thanks for the move. I hope more people will see this great tutorial @Lilian posted.
The clever cat eats cheese and breathes down rat holes with baited breath. w.c. fields

Lilian

« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2019, 10:01:41 AM »
@Renegade Sewist  the 'ironing' is the only part I don't like about her videos. I press instead but she has some good ideas. They usually have a 'giveaway' with each new video. I seen some lovely table runner kits but the postage is too high for me. They say they have a GB shop but I can't find it. I see many table napkins being made this winter.

Thanks for the tip 👍  :)

Helen M

« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2019, 18:09:05 PM »
Thanks for posting, really pretty napkins!
Stash Busting 2019
Goal: 30 metres
So far: 8.5m metres

HenriettaMaria

« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2019, 20:15:30 PM »
Not sure semi-circular napkins would be a thing that would work for me but I do think an array of these would look great as Xmas bunting or even as tree decs if made smaller.  I may have a go :)

Lilian

« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2019, 20:19:13 PM »
@HenriettaMaria I did think half circle was odd for a napkin but then thought that it would sit more neatly on the lap  :)