The Sewing Place

Strip quilt question

mudcat

Strip quilt question
« on: November 21, 2019, 04:14:14 AM »
Has anyone ever made a strip type quilt where you sew strips one end to the other until you have a very very long continuous strip.  Then you fold it in half (lengthwise) and sew it up.  Then take that and fold it in half again and sew up on side.  Repeat as many times as it takes until you have run out of length at which point you should have a top.

I was thinking about doing this in a lap size using red, black and perhaps a small amount of gold but I'm a little worried about how it would actually look. It would be random.  I would probably use 3 or 4 inch strips.

Edit: I was looking for this a few days ago and couldn't find anything but tonight I added "continuous" to my search and found this link. She does the corners like you would for binding. I probably wouldn't since it seems like more work than I want to do.
Continous strip quilt
« Last Edit: November 21, 2019, 04:17:41 AM by mudcat »

Pearl

Re: Strip quilt question
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2019, 06:41:41 AM »
This was one of the first quilts I made.  It’s called a jelly roll race because it’s usually made from recut 2.5” strips.  Took me a couple of hours to make the top; I still haven’t sewn the binding on.   :S

Iminei

« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2019, 07:40:52 AM »
Its a good one to start with because ....

A) you can use precut jelly rolls (2 1/2" Width of Fabric strips in complementary colours) so no rotary cutting required
B) Its a fast make, so a quick result ... You wont get bored and put it to one side
C) its forces you to accept randomness ... choosing colours/fabrics and placement is usually the most time consuming  part of making a quilt

I'd go for it Mudcat and remember to post pics!!!
The Imperfect Perfectionist sews again

wrenkins

« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2019, 07:53:45 AM »
Harbouring resentment is like swallowing poison and waiting for the other person to die!

Lisalou1965

« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2019, 08:51:39 AM »
Looks like fun - although I would probably sew in the way suggested when making the long strip, simply cos it looks cool, I doubt it would take you long to get it, and once you have the technique it should be equally fast to do
If you see me with a seam ripper, now is not a good time

Lowena

« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2019, 11:10:35 AM »
No, not my thing I'm afraid
Triumph of hope over experience :D

Sara-S

« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2019, 17:39:46 PM »
I’ve never tried that but I might in the future.  It looks like fun.
You can't scare me. I taught high school for 32 years.

Deafoldbat

« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2019, 19:37:23 PM »
If you use a jelly roll, make your first cut about quarter to a third the way in to stagger the strips.

This is a fast(-ish), easy way to use up all sorts of bits - probably why it's not Lowena's 'thing'  ;)

Lilian

« Reply #8 on: November 21, 2019, 20:03:24 PM »
It looks interesting, I have never seen it before. Might give it a try when I have enough scraps  :)
Willing but not always able :)

Renegade Sewist

« Reply #9 on: November 21, 2019, 21:23:00 PM »
@mudcat , they are fun but it took longer than 1 hour to sew as often touted online. Look up Jelly Roll Race as suggested earlier or 1600 Quilt. You'll get some different results for images and links.

I've seen 3 methods of doing the eternally long strip. On the diagonal like binding, selvage trimmed off then just butted end to end or my preferred method, butted with small pieces of a complimentary color or black. The short pieces I randomly cut 2" to 5" pieces, about 18 of them to sew at the end of some of the 40 strips. It helped to randomize the join lines. I used Hallowe'en fabrics and short pieces of black. Wear sunglasses when viewing.  :x

If you're doing wider strips this will be even more important but you have to cut one piece in half and discard to create the randomness. I also cut a number of my pieces in two, not always in half. With wider I'd consider some that way and some in thirds. The diagonal ends might be nice with the wider strips as well.

Otherwise you might as well do a flip and sew quilt as you go with all the strips. Those work well for a lap quilt and can go vertical or horizontal for the strips.
Hey Bill! Read the manual!  Hehehe.

mudcat

« Reply #10 on: November 22, 2019, 17:19:54 PM »
I will be using mostly fat quarters but also some strips from 1/4 yard pieces and random scraps.  I am making a flannel backed lap quilt for Mr MC.  His niece gave me the flannel for Christmas a couple of years ago.  I didn't even know she knew that I sewed so it was kind of a surprise.    I want to make it fairly quickly since I don't enjoy quilting very much.

I also thought it could be a quicker way to use up my rather large cotton stash since I don't want to quilt any more and I can make only so many napkins and pillowcases.  Most of the future quilts I make will be for charity.

Celia

« Reply #11 on: November 23, 2019, 17:17:22 PM »
I love this, I have a jelly roll I have had for a very long time and could use or if I used fat quarters and 2 1/2 inch strips how many would I need has anyone an idea to make a lap quilt?

Deafoldbat

« Reply #12 on: November 23, 2019, 19:00:17 PM »
I love this, I have a jelly roll I have had for a very long time and could use or if I used fat quarters and 2 1/2 inch strips how many would I need has anyone an idea to make a lap quilt?

@Celia
Decide how wide and how long you want your quilt. Let's say 42x54. You'd need 21x2½" strips, each made up to 54½". The ½" is the seam allowance. Or if you want to do the jelly roll race method, you need a total length of 1144.5" !

Celia

« Reply #13 on: November 23, 2019, 22:37:23 PM »
@Deafoldbat
Thank you that makes sense, I am going to go through my fabrics tomorrow and decide wether to use the jelly roll or some fat quarters

Celia

« Reply #14 on: November 24, 2019, 19:13:25 PM »
Well you know what happens to best laid plans PLEASE let me get to doing just something I have planed, no sewing today again :( :( :(