The Sewing Place

New to sewing, and to the Forum

Sara-S

Re: New to sewing, and to the Forum
« Reply #15 on: November 22, 2019, 12:59:12 PM »
@Tim Sr welcome from another American!  I have only been sewing for about a hear myself. 

First, a couple of questions about your machine; What kind is it (brand & model)?  Do you have the instruction manual?

Next, some suggestions;
1) Here’s a little drill to get used to the feel of the machine.  Take a piece of white paper & a ruler.  Mark several parallel lines on it.  Without any thread in the machine, run the paper under it, trying to go straight along each line.  When you’re done, hold the paper up to the light, to see the holes made by the needle.  They will show you how accurately you sewed.

2)Get some scrap fabric to experiment with. Open up the manual and go through it, testing the different stitches and presser feet.

3) New sewists often forget to put the presser foot down. If you do, you will get a nasty tangle of thread on the underside. Remember to put it down before you sew!
You can't scare me. I taught high school for 32 years.

Ohsewsimple

« Reply #16 on: November 22, 2019, 14:15:46 PM »
Welcome to the forum @Tim Sr.  Nice to see more people starting to sew.  I’m sure you’ll learn lots here.  Always someone willing to help, just ask. 

hernibs

« Reply #17 on: November 22, 2019, 15:11:59 PM »
Welcome from across the pond and then another wee pond which will bring you to Northern Ireland.
Best wishes on all your sewing endeavours!

HenriettaMaria

« Reply #18 on: November 22, 2019, 15:15:29 PM »
Welcome from me too.  Regarding presser feet, your machine will have a few already so don't start buying additional ones until you know which ones you really find useful.  I have some I got with the machine and have barely used.   Others I have acquired and then not got on with.

Really handy ones in my world are:

adjustable zipper foot - it has a slider that allows the foot to move left and right so you can press exactly where you want.  Good also for making cushion covers that you want a piping trim on.
clear 4 step buttonhole foot (if that's your only option) else the machines automatic buttonhole foot
open toed foot - looks much like a regular foot but the toes are wide apart and it makes it easy to see what you're doing so long as the fabric allows it to be used
walking foot - great for anything that's slippery

Feet I have that don't see much action

binding foot - good if you intend to bind edges, else not otherwise useful.
rolled hem foot - gives a narrow hem but I never have got good results with it.  Maybe it's just me or the foot is a problem?
couching foot - this has a tunnel that allows you to zig zag over cord or strings of pearls for decorative effect.  Used once by then-11 year old son to apply caterpillar tracks to a D-Day landings applique of a tank!
edge-stitching foot - supposed to allow close-to-the edge stitching but I prefer to do it by eye using the regular foot
invisible zipper foot - prefer to use the adjustable one instead

The other piece of advice is to buy branded feet even if they cost a bit more.  There really is some cheap rubbish on Amazon so caveat emptor!

Tim Sr

« Reply #19 on: November 22, 2019, 19:02:39 PM »
WOW!  <3 I mean WOW!  <3 I wake up |O and see this welcome and I am flabbergasted at such a nice and warm welcome. THANK YOU! :)
Now lets see, this is going to be a long response, so best to break it up into a few hundred pieces……
I think I will start with the personal side and group requests together to save space (Tree’s)
@Renegade Sewist @UttaRetch  @Kenora   The current boy in the avatar is “Simon Peter”  who has a brother “Sunshine” (Called “Sunny” usually)  who is a Marmalade tabby. I acquired the fellas last year just before Christmas, only 5 days old. Mom wanted me to have a Kitten for Christmas and these two rescue kittens just happened into the family on December 10. I had the joy of watching them open their eyes, ears, take their first steps, everything a momma cat would have to do to raise the kids. I am rather attached to them it seems.  They are very precocious boys, and know how to test me… Sunshine is special though, requiring special attention to approach. He will go from ecstatic to rage in an instant. The vet has dubbed him with Autistic behaviour, and has the injury to prove it. Simon on the other hand is Velcro, so typing this is rather fun, fighting for the keyboard and all of my attention.  They come from an abandoned litter at birth, on a concrete loading dock in the freezing weather.  When found because of Sunshine’s last few whimpers, Simon had to be revived from frozen, and both carefully warmed. 4 brothers and sisters did not make it.
So that’s my special boys.
I spent the last 10 years living with my mom, taking care of her as she coped with the effects of dementia and the changes this meant for her. I believe she knew inside I would need these boys at this point to keep me company, as this year we had to move mom to assisted living. I will say this has been very hard to accept, even though is is the better choice for her.

@WendyW @riverchica @Sewingsue  @b15erk  @Greybird  @fajita  @Ellabella  @Ploshkin @Silver Rose  @Lilian @Ohsewsimple  @hernibs    I accept the coffee and cake slices, feeling the warmth surround me  from so many participants in this hobby and forum. I have never had such a beautiful welcome at a forum as this one, and I hope I have spelled everyones name properly.

@Sara-S   Thank you for the suggestions, I will be taking them to heart. I am watching a video series on you tube for beginners, and learning a lot of little (BIG) things. I have a Viking Husqvarna 120, :vintage: and I do have the manual and have read it. I am referring to the manual as I go as well, to get a grip of what is being said, how it works and such.

“Next, some suggestions;
1) Here’s a little drill to get used to the feel of the machine.  Take a piece of white paper & a ruler.  Mark several parallel lines on it.  Without any thread in the machine, run the paper under it, trying to go straight along each line.  When you’re done, hold the paper up to the light, to see the holes made by the needle.  They will show you how accurately you sewed.
I did this!! I used brown grocery bag paper and I shall not state  how accurate I was… at this point.

2)Get some scrap fabric to experiment with. Open up the manual and go through it, testing the different stitches and presser feet.
I am doing this, using dark thread on light scraps and vice a versa, to see how the tensions are working, and having issues yet with the tension aspect. It seems that the adjustment of tension does not do anything, yet I have no complaint to the stitch I am getting, looks like perfect tension. When I change weight of fabric though I will watch carefully to see if there is any issue here.

3) New sewists often forget to put the presser foot down. If you do, you will get a nasty tangle of thread on the underside. Remember to put it down before you sew! “
YUP! Did that already! I already broke a needle too!

@HenriettaMaria   I have 8 different feet with the machine, 3 of them I learned by research are Bias tape Binding feet of different sizes, a zipper foot, 2 straight feet, and a clear one with a small wheel and rod in it. Right now I am sticking to the standard straight foot, and probably will not change this unless I run into a procedure that would require it.  I will attach pictures of them here (Have to figure out how to subscribe)

I found a project that I should focus on first, and that is a cover for the sewing machine. I will now research the names of and types of fabric that would work best for this project, as I am sure silk would not be a good or durable choice. Old denim possibly.
I ordered a set of bobbins for the machine, since I only have 3 and I have to unload one to another that doesn’t fit the machine so is a pain in the foot right now.
Again thank you everyone for such a wonderful welcome

Tim
Sew it up, Rip it out, Sew it up, Rip it out, Sew it up...check the pattern..Rip it out!

HenriettaMaria

« Reply #20 on: November 22, 2019, 19:12:20 PM »
Silk - definitely not.  It's really not hard-wearing at all.  A cotton twill is ideal, of which denim is but one example.  Don't go too heavy, though, or you might give yourself a problem sewing it.

Look in the techniques section - there are lots of tips and links to video tutorials that you might find helpful.  A quick search threw up this one

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nw8aY9UzfRI

Man Sewing!

Greybird

« Reply #21 on: November 22, 2019, 19:37:03 PM »
@Tim Sr I used to have a Husqvarna 190 and loved it (now sadly deceased). I'm sure it will do you proud!

StitchinTime

« Reply #22 on: November 22, 2019, 19:40:47 PM »
Lovely to read all about you and the cats, @Tim Sr, and nice to see another Husqvarna user (I’m on my 4th Husqvarna, though that is over nearly 40 years).

In addition to remembering to put the presser foot down to sew, you need to remember to lift it when threading the machine as this releases the tension discs allowing the thread to sit between them. If the thread is not sitting n the discs it might explain why you are not seeing any effect when you adjust  the tension.

Tim Sr

« Reply #23 on: November 22, 2019, 20:46:11 PM »
Silk - definitely not.  It's really not hard-wearing at all.  A cotton twill is ideal, of which denim is but one example.  Don't go too heavy, though, or you might give yourself a problem sewing it.

Look in the techniques section - there are lots of tips and links to video tutorials that you might find helpful.  A quick search threw up this one

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nw8aY9UzfRI

Man Sewing!

YeAH! Perfect and thank you!

Nice resource!

Sew it up, Rip it out, Sew it up, Rip it out, Sew it up...check the pattern..Rip it out!

Tim Sr

« Reply #24 on: November 22, 2019, 20:52:31 PM »
Lovely to read all about you and the cats, @Tim Sr, and nice to see another Husqvarna user (I’m on my 4th Husqvarna, though that is over nearly 40 years).

In addition to remembering to put the presser foot down to sew, you need to remember to lift it when threading the machine as this releases the tension discs allowing the thread to sit between them. If the thread is not sitting n the discs it might explain why you are not seeing any effect when you adjust  the tension.
Forgive me, I was not clear, as I do think the pressure is there, I just am not seeing a change. Now to add to that, I tried to do a hem a moment ago and got a wadded up mess underneath, and upon examination, was a simple thing, the thread had jumped out of the tension assembly and running free. Ripped that out and set thread into pressure plates and again no issue. As long as the machine is threaded properly, it works fine, I have a lot to learn about the function of the machine.
Thank you for the thoughts :)

Tim

BrendaP

« Reply #25 on: November 22, 2019, 21:06:08 PM »
Hi @Tim Sr   Welcome to TSP

You have a great attitude towards you new hobby, I'm sure you will soon be producing great results.

Once you have the hang of sewing an accurate line onto paper things like napkins and place mats are excellent beginner projects - not too big, not too complicated and useful end products.  After that the sky will be your limit  0_0
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

Tim Sr

« Reply #26 on: November 22, 2019, 21:50:11 PM »
Thank you @BrendaP for the welcome
I am still!! flabbergasted at the number of wonderful people here!
I do have a question @Iminei  about posting links. I see the helpful you-tube one I appreciate, and my question is about image hosting platforms, if that is it allowed (Absolutely  no advertising of course and nothing inappropriate) to post images of my project this way?

Tim

Acorn

« Reply #27 on: November 22, 2019, 21:59:44 PM »
Pictures using image hosting sites are fine.   :D  Looking forward to seeing them!
I might look as though I'm talking to you, but inside my head I'm sewing.

Tim Sr

« Reply #28 on: November 22, 2019, 22:26:48 PM »
Pictures using image hosting sites are fine.   :D  Looking forward to seeing them!
Thank you @Acorn
@HenriettaMaria & the rest of the forum:
Here are the images of the presser feet I do have.

In the future when I pick up other presser feet, I will not be trying to save pennies here, knowing that the manufacture brand is the preferred as it is designed around "that" machine. I am not very big on generic things.
I was pondering where to start posting current projects and think it would be best to start a diary in the wardrobe section. Thoughts would be appreciated.

Tim
« Last Edit: November 23, 2019, 11:34:21 AM by Acorn »

Roger

« Reply #29 on: November 22, 2019, 22:41:49 PM »
Hey Tim,
pull up a seat grab a drink and chat and ask questions! Sewing is a lot of fun and an interesting hobby to have and some of the stuff that gets made here is amazing!

R.
A bit of a vintage sewing machine nut! Singers: 500a, 401g, 48k Elnas: lotus SP & grasshopper, Bernina 530-2 F+R 504, Pfaff 30, Cresta T-132