The Sewing Place

New to sewing, and to the Forum

Tim Sr

Re: New to sewing, and to the Forum
« Reply #30 on: November 22, 2019, 23:37:28 PM »
@Roger
Hello Roger!
I am finding this to be a really fantastic place/resource/idea-creator/ just plain fun (I say that rarely) great social community, so the first round is on me! (Hope everyone likes milk)....
I am making my first pattern, going slow and learning not to forget the 5/8" along the edge where I will need to sew on. Was half done when it hit me! Little things that are not so little.

Tim
Sew it up, Rip it out, Sew it up, Rip it out, Sew it up...check the pattern..Rip it out!

Roger

« Reply #31 on: November 23, 2019, 04:08:10 AM »
Take it slow Tim, as they say measure twice, cut once...

It takes a little practice. I’m not a great sewist but I’ve made a couple of things I’m proud of.
A bit of a vintage sewing machine nut! Singers: 500a, 401g, 48k Elnas: lotus SP & grasshopper, Bernina 530-2 F+R 504, Pfaff 30, Cresta T-132

Tim Sr

« Reply #32 on: November 23, 2019, 05:18:45 AM »
Take it slow Tim, as they say measure twice, cut once...

It takes a little practice. I’m not a great sewist but I’ve made a couple of things I’m proud of.
I hear you! When I am making a violin or cello, I measure at least 10 times, then I do a practice cut and test the fit. Being new to this there is an element of hurry and rush and learn and feed the brain.. heck it is nice to feel that and I am "allowing" myself to be the kid in a candy store for the moment. But as in the practice cuts, I am throwing everything I have at scrap materials and such, so as to make a few mistakes, since it seems I learn by making mistakes. I craft once I conquer the mistake. So it is going to be a long time before I know I will be crafting. Until that time YOU (The Forum) have to put up with me posting mistakes and horrible looking oops. Forgive me but I do think it is good to share the ugly learning part, that maybe someone out there could benefit from that. But I will amend my attitude a bit as when it comes to safety, I put the kid away and weigh my approach carefully. (Now to find a seam ripper to free my fingers from each other)
This has been a fun day, Thank you to everyone for this.

Tim
Sew it up, Rip it out, Sew it up, Rip it out, Sew it up...check the pattern..Rip it out!

Nevis5

« Reply #33 on: November 23, 2019, 08:52:21 AM »
I'm late to the party (as usual) but just wanted to say hello and welcome to @Tim Sr  too!  Enjoy the learning process!  :toast: :cake: :sew:

Bodgeitandscarper

« Reply #34 on: November 23, 2019, 12:44:55 PM »
Welcome from me too  0_0

@Tim Sr

...New sewists often forget to put the presser foot down. If you do, you will get a nasty tangle of thread on the underside. Remember to put it down before you sew!
Old sewists can forget this too, so you won't be alone  :|

Helen M

« Reply #35 on: November 23, 2019, 12:54:09 PM »
Hello @Tim Sr from me as well!
Stash Busting 2024 - Goal: 25 metres
So far:  1.5 metres  ------ Donated : 0 metres
Items decluttered: 55

Roger

« Reply #36 on: November 23, 2019, 15:27:54 PM »
And don’t sew your own finger or nails by accident... that is definitely the messy end of learning!
A bit of a vintage sewing machine nut! Singers: 500a, 401g, 48k Elnas: lotus SP & grasshopper, Bernina 530-2 F+R 504, Pfaff 30, Cresta T-132

HenriettaMaria

« Reply #37 on: November 23, 2019, 22:49:54 PM »
And don’t sew your own finger or nails by accident... that is definitely the messy end of learning!

You mean like this?

Lilian

« Reply #38 on: November 23, 2019, 23:38:20 PM »
Ouch! Ouch! Ouch! @HenriettaMaria  :o
Willing but not always able :)

HenriettaMaria

« Reply #39 on: November 24, 2019, 11:35:34 AM »
You need to get a pair of bent-nose tweezers - like these

https://www.myfabrics.co.uk/96-A11420_bent-tweezers.html?gclid=EAIaIQobChMI14n1h-CC5gIVTLDtCh3q0AshEAQYASABEgLaJvD_BwE

If pin heads get entangled under the presser foot, use tweezers and not your finger nail.  Silly really, I have the tweezers, but I was in a hurry so instead of getting on with the work I spent the next two hours at the minor injuries clinic getting the needle removed.  Fortunately it has healed without leaving a scar!

mums sewing machine

« Reply #40 on: November 25, 2019, 16:35:25 PM »
Hi @Tim Sr - welcome from me too  :drink:
No such thing as too much fabric

Tim Sr

« Reply #41 on: November 25, 2019, 23:55:53 PM »
Hi @Tim Sr - welcome from me too  :drink:
[/quote
Thank you @mums sewing machine I like your nickname since it is my mum's sewing machine I have.
@HenriettaMaria I do have these tweezers, and a few others. But it was not in my mind to use them. Thank you :)  [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]  

Manuela

« Reply #42 on: November 26, 2019, 10:34:40 AM »
A belated welcome from me too @Tim Sr, I try to keep up with the forum, but have been somewhat preoccupied lately.

Sara-S

« Reply #43 on: November 26, 2019, 13:18:08 PM »
I hear you! When I am making a violin or cello, I measure at least 10 times, then I do a practice cut and test the fit. Being new to this there is an element of hurry and rush and learn and feed the brain.. heck it is nice to feel that and I am "allowing" myself to be the kid in a candy store for the moment. But as in the practice cuts, I am throwing everything I have at scrap materials and such, so as to make a few mistakes, since it seems I learn by making mistakes. I craft once I conquer the mistake. So it is going to be a long time before I know I will be crafting. Until that time YOU (The Forum) have to put up with me posting mistakes and horrible looking oops. Forgive me but I do think it is good to share the ugly learning part, that maybe someone out there could benefit from that. But I will amend my attitude a bit as when it comes to safety, I put the kid away and weigh my approach carefully. (Now to find a seam ripper to free my fingers from each other)
This has been a fun day, Thank you to everyone for this.

Tim
Are you an instrument-maker, by profession?  We would love to see pictures of your work.  As to your sewing mistakes, do post them.  By seeing them, we may be better able to offer suggestions for improvement.
You can't scare me. I taught high school for 32 years.

Tim Sr

« Reply #44 on: November 26, 2019, 22:54:09 PM »
Are you an instrument-maker, by profession?  We would love to see pictures of your work.  As to your sewing mistakes, do post them.  By seeing them, we may be better able to offer suggestions for improvement.

@Sara-S I shall oblige with a few photos, though it will be a bit before I can access them. The joys of moving and priorities. I will probably be working on some bows after the 1st of the year and will gladly post a few pics of that. I still do the old historical methods so it takes a while to make one and I will be happy to post a bit while making one. Yes Violin making was one of my professions. I now only keep my hand in it as I am able.  Thank you for asking :)

Tim