The Sewing Place

New to sewing, and to the Forum

Tim Sr

New to sewing, and to the Forum
« on: November 22, 2019, 01:08:23 AM »
Hello everyone:
I was glad to find a forum of nice people who share sewing ideas.
I inherited my mom's sewing room, and have always wanted to try my hand at this art form, just never found the time. I am totally new at this, and have a lot to learn. I know I will have many questions, (some of the "dumb" kind). I have been reading through the forum topics and see that many of my questions are already answered :) and with a bit of research and hands on attempts may  learn how to sew.
I am approaching this with an open mind/book, without any expectations or plans. I am exploring what I could do  with this hobby, even though in the back of my mind I am thinking about my kitchen, (Place-mats, napkins, etc.) as well as knowing I have items that are in need of repair or pants needing hemmed... there are a lot of ideas out there, and my approach is to go slow and figure out what I might be able to handle.
My first step has been to organize everything, and determine what everything is. My big hurdle is the presser feet, and again through this forum have found direction to the information I will need.
My avatar is one of my boys, who are eager to help me with this hobby, help as in being the center of attention.
I welcome any input and thoughts and look forward to getting to know the people here.
Thank you to Iminei for approving my registration.

Tim
Sew it up, Rip it out, Sew it up, Rip it out, Sew it up...check the pattern..Rip it out!

WendyW

Re: New to sewing, and to the Forum
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2019, 03:04:43 AM »
Welcome, Tim! Glad to have you here. This is indeed a friendly place where you can learn a lot. Have lots of fun with your new toys!

riverchica

« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2019, 04:47:58 AM »
Welcome! Love your attitude  ;)

Renegade Sewist

« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2019, 06:44:12 AM »
Welcome to the fold @Tim Sr !

Much of the North American contingent seems to be here to welcome you this evening. Glad you've decided to join us.

The kitchen is an excellent place to start. Lots of rectangles to cut and much straight line sewing is a nice beginning. You can make yourself a nice apron to wear, pot holders as well as items you listed. Even coordinating cloth shopping bags that you can launder as needed.

A favorite of mine is sewing pillowcases. There's a nice type we can refer you to called a Burrito or magic pillowcase that is a good skill builder. It has a contrast wide hem and all edges are enclosed if you do a French Seam. Make lovely gifts too if you buy quilting cottons of your friend's hobbies.

Good to see your boy helping you. Is that Tim Jr?  :meow:

PS:For some reason I feel like chanting "USA! USA! USA! USA!:)
Hey Bill! Read the manual!  Hehehe.

Sewingsue

« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2019, 07:23:21 AM »
Welcome Tim from across the pond.
I am sure there will be more greetings as we wake up and start our day.
Bernina Aurora 440QE, Brother BC-2500, Singer 99K (1938), Juki MO-654DE overlocker, Silver Viscount 620D overlocker.

Iminei

« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2019, 07:33:32 AM »
Hello from Deepest Darkest Dorset to yourself in Ohio ...

I have been watching Mr Mercedes (on Amazon) .... Is it on the telly over there???
Im quite confused about all this streaming and payforTv,  But Im pretty sure that yesterday was episode 10 (the final one sad to say) of Season 3 and as far as I have seen its a corker!!!!

Why am I banging on about an obscure TV series ... because its set in Ohio of course !!!

Anyhow enough of that and my borderline obsession with SK's America ...

Welcome to TSP, cant wait to see what you get up to ...
The Imperfect Perfectionist sews again

UttaRetch

« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2019, 08:16:39 AM »
Welcome @Tim Sr.  How many moggies (cats) do you have?

b15erk

« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2019, 09:12:43 AM »
A very big welcome from me too @Tim Sr !  Nice to have you here.

Has anyone offered you a  :drink: or a slice of  :cake:

Look forward to seeing some of your projects.

Jessie
Jessie, who is very happy to be here!!  :),  but who has far too many sewing machines to be healthy, and a fabric stash which is becoming embarrassing.

Greybird

« Reply #8 on: November 22, 2019, 09:16:07 AM »
Hello and welcome from me too. There are those of us who are still learning after 50+ years!

fajita

« Reply #9 on: November 22, 2019, 09:22:49 AM »
Welcome, @Tim Sr  :flower: :drink:

Ellabella

« Reply #10 on: November 22, 2019, 10:27:13 AM »
Welcome from me too @Tim Sr

There are no dumb questions, we all had to start somewhere.

Ploshkin

« Reply #11 on: November 22, 2019, 10:37:23 AM »
Another welcome @Tim Sr Ask away, there are plenty of people here with answers.  Napkins and placemats are a good place to start.
Life's too short for ironing.

Silver Rose

« Reply #12 on: November 22, 2019, 10:39:23 AM »
Welcome Tim  :drink: enjoy your sewing journey.
Still learning

Kenora

« Reply #13 on: November 22, 2019, 11:19:35 AM »
A warm welcome from me too. :) Love your "boy". How many more do you have?
Minding my P's & Q's in Portreath

Lilian

« Reply #14 on: November 22, 2019, 11:57:07 AM »
Welcome @Tim Sr  :drink: :)
Willing but not always able :)