The Sewing Place

Batik quilt #2 - it's finished!

Flobear

Re: Batik quilt #2
« Reply #45 on: January 04, 2020, 16:17:37 PM »
Wow, suitably impressed, @Ploshkin  :D

By 'not (to) turn the quilt under the machine' do you mean you kept it the same way up all the time and just moved it forwards, backwards, sideways, diagonally (other directions may be available!) to create the designs?
Proud new owner of Elvistoo !!

Ploshkin

« Reply #46 on: January 04, 2020, 16:25:25 PM »
Yes, that's what I mean Flobear.  I did, of course turn the quilt for each section I FMQ'd to get the best access to the area and minimum amount of quilt in the harp space but once I started stitching that section I didn't turn the quilt.  I actually find it easier to get even stitching when I'm going backwards.
Life's too short for ironing.

Flobear

« Reply #47 on: January 04, 2020, 17:00:56 PM »
Thank-you. More knowledge to add to the Dark Side of the Moon brain.

Deafoldbat

« Reply #48 on: January 04, 2020, 19:03:09 PM »
  I had seen many recommendations for Aurifil thread for quilting so I got some to try.  It appears much thinner than the King Tut and YLI that I have used previously but it is the same weight (40).

Aurifil is very good, as is King Tut. YLI isn't what it was. It used to be really silky smooth until a couple of years ago when it turned dull and fuzzy. Apparently the manufacture was moved from USA to Mexico about this time.

I couldn't travel backwards without it skipping stitches or just not picking up at all.

Which thread were you using when this happened? I have had this problem using the 'new-style' YLI.

Ploshkin

« Reply #49 on: January 04, 2020, 21:48:10 PM »
@Deafoldbat I had the problem with King Tut and YLI but when I tried some bits of FMQ with remnants of Gutermann Sew All it was mostly ok which is what made me think it was the thread.

I did a lot of sections of FMQ on this quilt and I had very, very few skipped stitches, and then it only skipped one, and I only had 2 thread breakages.  I'm a convert to Aurifil.

rubywishes

« Reply #50 on: January 04, 2020, 23:54:54 PM »
Fabulous results........I'm super envious and suitably inspired  :)
Juki TL2010Q, Juki DX7,  Singers: 1917 27K treadle (aka Gertie), 1957 99k (aka Vincent), 1951 99k knee lever (aka Shirley), 1950 99k handcrank (aka Alice), 1927 28K (aka Dora), 1947 201K treadle with motor conversion (aka Livvy)
....and the dusting and vacuming can wait!

Ploshkin

Re: Batik quilt #2 - it's finished!
« Reply #51 on: January 09, 2020, 11:26:26 AM »
It is completed.  The finished size is a smidge over 60" square.  I did a narrow binding with an 1/8" flange.  The quilting is a mixture of straight line quilting echoing the star shapes and a bit of FMQ in the spaces.  I'm pleased with the final result but the backing fabric isn't what I wanted, it was about my 6th choice from Doughty's as, despite the fact they have them on their website, they either had no stock or not enough of my first 5 choices.  This was the same with the turquoise fabric that I originally chose.
The quilt is a house warming present for my niece and her partner who have just bought their first house.  It has no central heating so I thought that they might like to cwtch up under a quilt to watch the tv.
Here it is.
  [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]  

Flobear

« Reply #52 on: January 09, 2020, 11:33:07 AM »
That's a work of art, @Ploshkin . Niece and chap will no doubt be thrilled.

Acorn

« Reply #53 on: January 09, 2020, 11:44:11 AM »
Ooh that is lovely!  The backing fabric is wonderful, even if it wasn't your first (second, third...) choice.
I might look as though I'm talking to you, but inside my head I'm sewing.

Ellabella

« Reply #54 on: January 09, 2020, 12:18:44 PM »
Oh that’s beautiful @Ploshkin   The recipients are very lucky.

Greybird

« Reply #55 on: January 09, 2020, 12:24:32 PM »
Beautiful!

Lowena

« Reply #56 on: January 09, 2020, 12:46:30 PM »
Lovely  <3
Triumph of hope over experience :D

Stitches

« Reply #57 on: January 09, 2020, 17:42:55 PM »
Lovely @Ploshkin

Missie

« Reply #58 on: January 10, 2020, 09:02:30 AM »
Ooh that is lovely Ploshie.  I'd forgotten you were in Wales and saw "cwtch" and did a double-take!

Lisalou1965

« Reply #59 on: January 10, 2020, 20:49:00 PM »
Absolutely gorgeous - now you have me wondering what your other five choices for backing fabric were!!!

Lx
If you see me with a seam ripper, now is not a good time