The Sewing Place

Batik quilt #2 - it's finished!

supergran

Re: Batik quilt #2
« Reply #30 on: November 30, 2019, 21:32:30 PM »
It looks like the binding tool star quilt pattern from Missouri Star.

Ploshkin

« Reply #31 on: December 01, 2019, 09:21:32 AM »
It could well be.  The original picture I saw was a long since out of production quilt kit.  If I see things I like I just take a picture of the screen and file it in with my photos for when I need an idea.  If it's pieced I can usually work out how it's put together.
I've nearly joined all the blocks now.  It's taken a bit of judicious stretching and easing to get the seams to match in places - I'm not surprised as the blocks were a pig to square up.  I do need to unpick one seam to lose some excess fabric that is not going to disappear with easing and stretching.
Life's too short for ironing.

Ploshkin

« Reply #32 on: December 05, 2019, 11:44:23 AM »
I've managed to piece a border with the left over strips from the braids.  I knew it was going to be tight - the remnants will now fit into a matchbox and one of the border squares has a join in the middle (I rummaged in the bin to find those pieces.
I haven't got any backing fabric yet but I think I will get enough to use for the binding too which will probably also involve a turquoise flange.
 [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]  
« Last Edit: December 05, 2019, 11:47:08 AM by Ploshkin »

Lilian

« Reply #33 on: December 05, 2019, 12:39:30 PM »
That's really lovely @Ploshkin  just love the colours  :loveit:  :)
Willing but not always able :)

Lisalou1965

« Reply #34 on: December 05, 2019, 14:59:41 PM »
Stunning, I love it. And your thriftiness to use up all the leftover bits. Well done you!!!
If you see me with a seam ripper, now is not a good time

Flobear

« Reply #35 on: December 05, 2019, 15:02:47 PM »
We're good at jigsaw puzzles, we Ploshes  ;)

Looking fab @Ploshkin. I love the diagonal-ness of the design contrasting with the squareness of the border pieces.
Proud new owner of Elvistoo !!

Iminei

« Reply #36 on: December 05, 2019, 17:08:11 PM »
The turquoise flange will really bring out the pop!

The measurements for my binding for the 100 shades was 2" grey, 3" bright ...
sewn together 1/4" seam...

Attached to the back with a generous 5/8th seam (needle in the middle position)
Giving me a nice 1/2" of bright flange and 1/2 of grey on the front of the quilt.

« Last Edit: December 05, 2019, 17:10:12 PM by Iminei »
The Imperfect Perfectionist sews again

Ploshkin

« Reply #37 on: December 05, 2019, 17:18:15 PM »
I've never considered a big flange, I've only ever done them 1/8th ".  I'll see what I think with different widths.

Lowena

« Reply #38 on: December 17, 2019, 14:32:50 PM »
I'm going to make this quilt for my OH in the new year. I'll arrange the blocks like the middle four....starlike. It will be bigger so it should work. I need it to be about twice the size. Do you think it will work @Ploshkin ?
Triumph of hope over experience :D

Ploshkin

« Reply #39 on: December 17, 2019, 16:30:44 PM »
Oh, you've reminded me @Lowena I didn't give you the size to cut if using jelly roll strips.  I'll remedy that forthwith.
What size would you like your finished quilt to be?  Do I understand correctly that you want to use 4 blocks to make the quilt so that it us one large star? You can, of course always add borders to achieve the size you want. 

If you use jelly roll strips one block swill be 16.5" square (including seam allowances
Each braid will be 2.5" x 8.5"
Small squares for cornerstones 2.5"  x 2.5"
Large squares 8.5" x 8.5"
To get the points of the triangles to extend enough so to get the point making  the 1/4" seam allowance the square, cut across the diagonal, needs to be at least 9" square.  I found it easier to cut all my large squares the larger size and trim off the excess when squaring the blocks.

I hope that makes sense, my head gets confused with the size of triangles needed so I'm not good at explaining it.

Lowena

« Reply #40 on: December 17, 2019, 22:30:26 PM »
Thank you so much @Ploshkin  <3
Triumph of hope over experience :D

rubywishes

« Reply #41 on: December 19, 2019, 06:48:44 AM »
@Ploshkin ..it's lovely...your colours are gorgeous and what a triumphant moment for you when after rummaging in your scrap bin you found the little bits you needed! (We need a "fist pumping" emojee for just this sort of moment!)
Juki TL2010Q, Juki DX7,  Singers: 1917 27K treadle (aka Gertie), 1957 99k (aka Vincent), 1951 99k knee lever (aka Shirley), 1950 99k handcrank (aka Alice), 1927 28K (aka Dora), 1947 201K treadle with motor conversion (aka Livvy)
....and the dusting and vacuming can wait!

Ploshkin

« Reply #42 on: December 31, 2019, 16:27:33 PM »
I'm still in the land of the living - I've been quilting this since before Christmas.  I've done straight line quilting echoing the star and arrowhead shapes but there is a lot of negative space in the design ...... so I've taken a deep breath and a big gulp and I'm doing FMQ in the background shapes.  I've never FMQd anywhere near a quilt (just a small practice bit that I made into a knitting bag) so it was a bit nerve wracking to start but it seems to be going ok.  I will be up for air in a couple of days I hope.

It's annoying that my machine doesn't have an infinitely variable speed control like my previous one.  I like to set the speed so that I can FMQ with my foot to the floor.  On the Pfaff Expression it has 5 or 6 speeds - the lowest is a bit too slow for me but the next step up is a bit too fast.

Flobear

« Reply #43 on: December 31, 2019, 17:01:10 PM »
Ooh, looking forward to seeing your leap into the void FMQ  ;)
Proud new owner of Elvistoo !!

Ploshkin

« Reply #44 on: January 04, 2020, 12:15:48 PM »
Yay!  I've finished the quilting.  The FMQ got less scary as I went along and I am reasonably pleased with it as a first attempt on an actual quilt. 
I had had nightmares when I changed my machine part way through ruler quilting my first batik quilt.  It had been going swimmingly with the previous machine but with this one I couldn't travel backwards without it skipping stitches or just not picking up at all.  I hadn't intended trying any FMQ because of this.  I had seen many recommendations for Aurifil thread for quilting so I got some to try.  It appears much thinner than the King Tut and YLI that I have used previously but it is the same weight (40).  I had no problems with the straight line quilting and whilst wondering how to fill the negative space I tried out a bit of FMQ and had no problems whatsoever.
I was a bit cowardly and used a lighter colour for the FMQ than the rest of the quilting that blends in pretty well with the pale lilac fabric.  I chose to do stars because that fits in with the quilt design but actually it's a good design to start with because you need to stop at each star point to change direction and so have an opportunity to think about where you need to go next.  I made a deliberate effort (and succeeded) not to turn the quilt under the machine.  I marked each section with some regularly spaced dots - the stars didn't necessarily end up on the dots but it helped with deciding where to aim for.
Anyway, here is one of the FMQ'd sections.  [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]    
« Last Edit: January 04, 2020, 12:18:54 PM by Ploshkin »