The Sewing Place

Batik quilt #2 - it's finished!

Iminei

Re: Batik quilt #2 - it's finished!
« Reply #60 on: January 12, 2020, 08:44:16 AM »
That is beeeautiful Ploshie ... I would be soooo chuffed to receive that, lucky chaps .

I imagine @Lisalou1965  that Ploshies primary choices for backing fabric would have had stronger colours and a bit more contrast with the front colours, more on the turquoise side of things I imagine.
The Imperfect Perfectionist sews again

Ploshkin

« Reply #61 on: January 12, 2020, 10:13:26 AM »
My first choice was actually quite pale with dashes of purples and pinks.  Some of my other choices were quite dark purples.  The one I ended up with was a bit bluer than I was expecting which I didn't want as there was no blue on the front but the pinks and purples are a perfect match with some of the fabrics in the top.  As you mostly can't see the top and back at the same time I went with it and didn't let it irk me too much.  There were no turquoise in any of my choices but that was because I didn't see any fabrics with turquoise in the mixture.  I did actually consider having the whole back turquoise.

:| Thats told me then!   ;)    Imi xxx
« Last Edit: January 13, 2020, 08:40:13 AM by Iminei »
Life's too short for ironing.

Lowena

« Reply #62 on: January 12, 2020, 10:17:47 AM »
I never bother too much about the backing as it's rarely seen
Triumph of hope over experience :D

Ploshkin

« Reply #63 on: January 12, 2020, 10:26:57 AM »
@Lowena I can always hear the indomitable Sister Joseph saying ' the inside should always look as good as the outside' and I apply that to backs and fronts as well.  I had to give myself a good talking to to stick with a backing fabric that I didn't think was quite right.
Life's too short for ironing.

rubywishes

« Reply #64 on: January 12, 2020, 11:52:35 AM »
' the inside should always look as good as the outside'

Oh yes, I remember the teacher in sewing class at high school saying the exact same thing....hated it when she would pounce on someones work and examine it for "tidy neat underneaths". :(

And your quilt is just beautiful, really lovely.
Juki TL2010Q, Juki DX7,  Singers: 1917 27K treadle (aka Gertie), 1957 99k (aka Vincent), 1951 99k knee lever (aka Shirley), 1950 99k handcrank (aka Alice), 1927 28K (aka Dora), 1947 201K treadle with motor conversion (aka Livvy)
....and the dusting and vacuming can wait!

Flobear

« Reply #65 on: January 12, 2020, 12:27:08 PM »
I can always hear the indomitable Sister Joseph saying ' the inside should always look as good as the outside'

Oh, dear old Sister Jo. The Minerva McGonagall of our school  8)  I was only thinking about that quote the other day when I was sewing in endless ends on the backs of my place-mats!
Proud new owner of Elvistoo !!

Lowena

« Reply #66 on: January 12, 2020, 12:29:51 PM »
My school didn't do sewing or cooking and neither did my Mum.... So I made up my own rules  :D
Triumph of hope over experience :D

renita

« Reply #67 on: January 13, 2020, 08:31:45 AM »
That's a beautiful quilt @Ploshkin - congrats!