The Sewing Place

Christmas Craft 2019

hernibs

Re: Christmas Craft 2019
« Reply #60 on: November 15, 2019, 21:29:18 PM »
Brown wrapping paper is just so good...especially if you can stamp images in white on it...(or indeed any colour)....so good for you ladies.  Anything I give now goes into the white gift bags I use for boxed cards...they are all paper with twisted paper handles.  I haven't used 'wrapping paper' for a few years.
Everything I look at now I think - plastic rubbish - the earth doesn't need it nor does the sea.

Sheilago

« Reply #61 on: November 25, 2019, 09:07:38 AM »
I am using printed brown paper wrapping this year. Definitely no glitter!

I’m making reusable drawstring bags from my stash or inexpensive  Christmas fabric for most gifts. The recipients can either keep them to reuse or ( for my family opening gifts in my house) return them to me to reuse next year.

Lachica

« Reply #62 on: November 25, 2019, 11:42:33 AM »
Excellent idea @Sheilago. I'll do that when I've used up the wrapping paper stash. I'm not buying any more but I'm not wasting what I've already got.
Mary
2020 stash: not gonna count, not gonna feel guilty.

Lisalou1965

« Reply #63 on: December 01, 2019, 22:32:08 PM »
Little gifts for friends. Still have a few to make, but I think I may get everything done in time
If you see me with a seam ripper, now is not a good time

Lilian

« Reply #64 on: December 01, 2019, 23:31:17 PM »
They are gorgeous. I have been wanting to have a go at making the folded star pattern for ages now, not for Xmas as I don't celebrate.  Lovely  :)
Willing but not always able :)

Lisalou1965

« Reply #65 on: December 02, 2019, 06:54:43 AM »
@Lilian they are really easy to make - my 12 year old students have started to make them. A lot of fun and really no hassle to them.

Ann

« Reply #66 on: December 02, 2019, 21:33:19 PM »
I am almost finished making DDIL 4 towels with toppers so she can hang them on her stove. I have enough fabric left to put bands on matching tea towels so they coordinate. It took me a few days to figure things out but once I found what i was looking for it wasn't that hard to do.

Stash Busting 2023
Goal: 50 metres

Lilian

« Reply #67 on: December 02, 2019, 21:46:49 PM »
I might give it a go in the new year.  The dexterity in my fingers is not good so may wait until warmer months when I will be a bit more mobile  :)
Willing but not always able :)

datcat23

« Reply #68 on: December 07, 2019, 21:39:53 PM »
Last pillowcase is done ....... quite happy to have these done.  This one how has a present inside of it, and is folded around it, and tied with a big ribbon. 

Sam's pillowcase by Dani, on Flickr
The barefoot seamstress:  smelling vaguely of lavender and mothballs, and desperately craving chocolate.
2024:  Mending:  2  | Fabric used:  2.5m | Items made:  1  |  Quilts:      |  Fabric destashed:  25m

Elnnina

« Reply #69 on: December 08, 2019, 11:58:53 AM »
I always like seeing your Christmas makes Dani, you are one clever lass.  Hope the rest all goes smoothly for you.

datcat23

« Reply #70 on: December 10, 2019, 00:20:52 AM »
I am on "house arrest" at the moment.  Australia is on fire at the moment (well at least parts of it), and the big fire to the east of us, is blowing a massive smoke cloud over the city.  My asthma is particularly sensitive to smoke, and so I am on some sick leave, and confined indoors. 

Initially, I was going to do some bowl cosies, but I ran out of cotton thread.  A friend plans to drop some off for me, but in the meantime, I had to switch projects.  I was given a big length of these cushion panels from a freebie site.  They are a very fine lawn/muslin fabric, and certainly not strong enough on their own to cope with being a cushion cover.  I backed the panel with a nice firm quilting cotton in white (gosh it made the colours pop), and then used some random quilting cotton for the back.  I put a dress zip in the back, while an overlap is easier, working out the maths for that, is more tiresome than putting a zip in.   Hubby saw the first two, and has now requested a pair for his mother, so I will be making another set today I assume. 

cushion covers by Dani, on Flickr

The colours are intense!

The back is boring by comparison, but then who ever says "oh my gosh I love what you did with the back of the cushion"

The barefoot seamstress:  smelling vaguely of lavender and mothballs, and desperately craving chocolate.
2024:  Mending:  2  | Fabric used:  2.5m | Items made:  1  |  Quilts:      |  Fabric destashed:  25m

Elnnina

« Reply #71 on: December 10, 2019, 10:25:33 AM »
Those cushion covers are amazing - what beautiful colours and as you say the colour has been lifted courtesy of the underneath piece of white fabric - you do find some lovely things to make.

Sorry to hear that all the smoke around is causing you problems, do take care.  We are reading and seeing the terrible fires over here on our news and it does not look good, let us hope that some rain arrives and enough to put these fires out - but then that will probably bring even more problems.  Stay safe and well.

Ann

« Reply #72 on: December 13, 2019, 12:06:51 PM »
@datcat23, being on "house arrest" has had its benefits for you. Such lovely cushions and those panels are gorgeous with the white backing.

I finished embroidering 2 tea towels for DDIL. If I have time I will add "Bon Appetit" to them. I have to redo the template for placing the words as I wasn't thinking straight when I did the first one.

Doing the template is tomorrow's job as I'm out all day today. It will be easy now that I saw my mistake. And it was a stupid one from thinking too much on the placement on the towel and not on the hoop.
Stash Busting 2023
Goal: 50 metres

Lisalou1965

« Reply #73 on: December 14, 2019, 06:54:38 AM »
Christmas stockings for guests done, now only got 4th bridge to finish and a tote.... I can do that!