The Sewing Place

Pfaff Element 1080s

blackcat001

Pfaff Element 1080s
« on: January 21, 2020, 19:01:24 PM »
Local Lidl has these in at the moment

https://www.lidl.fr/fr/p/couture/machine-a-coudre/p40386

Husband got it for me as an 'insurance' if my beloved Janome goes wrong again, as having repair done in my bit of France was horrendously expensive. In fact the new machine, with extension table, has cost significantly less than the repair on my Janome. Once I have my current wee crochet project out of the way, I am going to have a little play with this machine.

b15erk

Re: Pfaff Element 1080s
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2020, 10:48:11 AM »
I haven't tried any of the modern Pfaffs, but that sounds like a great price.

My own Pfaff is the 1475 cd, and it's over 30 years old.  It's still the machine I use daily.

I will watch with interest to see what you think of the Lidl one.  I bought a Singer O/L there last year, and although I know some people have had trouble with them, mine has been great.

Jessie
Jessie, who is very happy to be here!!  :),  but who has far too many sewing machines to be healthy, and a fabric stash which is becoming embarrassing.

blackcat001

« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2020, 16:15:04 PM »
I have a Singer O/L from Lidl (when I lived in UK) and I find it great for doing long, straight seams. So for curtains, bags... it's great. I am wary of it for clothing seams, such as armholes & necklines. I don't make as much use of it as I could.

As far as I can tell, the Lidl Pfaff has more stitch options than my Janome, but it doesn't have a speed limiter, needle up/down option, both of which my Janome does have. I am looking forward to giving it a go.

annieeg

« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2020, 17:51:01 PM »
I'm really surprised that Pfaff are selling in Lidl under their badge. 
It's a prestigious brand and I wouldn't have thought Pfaff needed to sell via a discount chain of shops like Lidl.  I bet this model doesn't have IDT.
 8)

blackcat001

« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2020, 20:18:20 PM »
I'm really surprised that Pfaff are selling in Lidl under their badge. 
It's a prestigious brand and I wouldn't have thought Pfaff needed to sell via a discount chain of shops like Lidl.  I bet this model doesn't have IDT.
 8)

I wouldn't expect it to for the price. It wasn't bought expecting features of an more expensive machine.

toileandtrouble

« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2020, 22:47:08 PM »
GUR have it at £199  which is probably a simiilar price, given the value of the pound
Yarn down:  1000g
Fabric down:  29m

blackcat001

« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2020, 06:57:51 AM »
At current exchange rates, it's roughly equivalent to £140, which is a pleasant surprise to me, as I have found many things here in France a lot more expensive than I would have paid in UK. That said, a half-decent bottle of wine here is much cheaper than back in UK which can help ease the pain of the stuff that is far more expensive than UK prices  :toast: ;)