The Sewing Place

The ultimate machine

Gernella

The ultimate machine
« on: January 27, 2020, 11:40:59 AM »
After a lengthy period sewing on the dining room table I went back to my main machine upstairs, which got a bit huffy with some fine lining fabric (a buying mistake on my part), moved to the other machine and found that I needed the manual as I had got the bobbin stuck causing a jam.  It made me sit and think though, what would be the ultimate (for me) machine that I would just use for everything, with no need for another other than for a spare.

1) The body, speed and the muscle of my Mega Quilter (like the Janome1600P) - not  fussed about looks

2)  Must have IDT

3)  A selection of buttonholes (automatic)

4)  Nice variety of stitches and 20 would do for me

5)  Self adjusting tension (which No 1 seems to have)

6)   At least 37 needle positions (just in case) what I have already

7)   Stitches both wide and long

8)   Good lighting on it

9)   Ability to stuff anything under the foot

10)  Tie off facility

11)  Needle up/down

12)  Twin needle, never used it but I might

13)  Good visual display, not fussed about colour

14)   Plenty of room right of the needle - 10 inches would be good

15)   A needle threader that was idiot proof if your sight was dodgy

16)   Not bothered about weight, I'd never want to move it

17)   Good range of feet so you never needed to buy any more

I think that's it.  I am sure everybody has there own views.  I can wish.

PS  That item 8 has automatically put the smiley on, even when deleted and done again! 
Stash extension 2024- 6.1 meters
Left at the end of 2023 - 66 meters now (includes fabric found hidden out of sight)  Lining fabric not included

fajita

Re: The ultimate machine
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2020, 11:44:19 AM »
8)

The number 8 followed by the end bracket = smiley face.

coffeeandcake

« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2020, 13:31:21 PM »
I think the Pfaff QE 4.2 fulfils that brief :)

Ploshkin

« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2020, 13:40:25 PM »
I would second that @coffeeandcake  though there are a couple of tweaks I would prefer

Life's too short for ironing.

Efemera

« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2020, 13:45:06 PM »
I would second that @coffeeandcake  though there are a couple of tweaks I would prefer

It needs that dip where the shuttle goes sorting out.. and the tension on mine has never been satisfactory.

Ohsewsimple

« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2020, 13:50:18 PM »
@Gernella re number 12 do you mean a twin needle button?   Brother machines have that.  You just have to remember to switch it on.   :) :o
Machines that can do zig zag can use twin needles.  You just have to make sure they aren’t wider than your widest stitch width or they will catch on the needle plate. 

Gernella

« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2020, 13:56:31 PM »

Very nice but above my pay grade, I'd have to for preloved.
Left at the end of 2023 - 66 meters now (includes fabric found hidden out of sight)  Lining fabric not included

dolcevita

« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2020, 22:32:34 PM »
If you get the chance of acquiring one, the pfaff QE 4.2 is a lovely machine.  I bought one a few years back, some 35+ years after my parents bought me my first machine.  I don't indulge in P&Q but wanted the large harp area for when I'm sewing bulky items like coats and jackets.

As for twin needles, I can't stand them.  But then, I don't have a good relationship with my coverstitch machine for much of the time, either.

Kwaaked

« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2020, 09:00:02 AM »
Funny what people consider their ultimate machine.

I don't want, or need, most of your list.

If I had my druthers, I'd get a Singer 31-15 industrial treadle.  It's what I wanted for my shop, and finding one is impossible where I am.  As it is, if I had to go to one machine, I'd revert back to my 66 Singer treadle.

There isn't anything I can't actually sew on it, and I have enough attachments/feet to do everything else.

I have more machines simply because they all do one thing exceptionally well; even the 66 has its specialty. 

Iminei

« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2020, 09:15:34 AM »
The Splurgess does it for me ... (Janome Atelier 7)
The Imperfect Perfectionist sews again

Bodgeitandscarper

« Reply #10 on: January 28, 2020, 09:23:16 AM »
I do like my 4.2, but I still occasionally get my Elna 3003 out for awkward fabrics.

b15erk

« Reply #11 on: January 28, 2020, 09:55:21 AM »
My old Pfaff 1475cd does most of what I need a sewing machine to do.  I would like an automatic needle threader, mine has one, but it's not automatic.  Raising and lowering the foot would be good on a knee lift.  These are minor points though, and on the whole I am very happy with my machine.

I do go to the Singer 611g for buttonholes though. As I leave it set up, I just change the template, and I get perfect buttons.  The Pfaff can be picky of the fabric isn't level.

Jessie
Jessie, who is very happy to be here!!  :),  but who has far too many sewing machines to be healthy, and a fabric stash which is becoming embarrassing.

Gernella

« Reply #12 on: January 28, 2020, 10:39:15 AM »
Funny what people consider their ultimate machine.

I don't want, or need, most of your list.

I have more machines simply because they all do one thing exceptionally well; even the 66 has its specialty.

Some of us (me) want it all, and I too have more than one machine because some struggle where others slice through but can't manage the rest.  I would say, from just looking at it, that the Janome 6300 and other similar in that style model would just about manage it for me but above my budget (especially now I'm  on the wrong side of 70). Which is why I suppose I always hang my nose over second hand ones.  If I see one at the right price I shall be very tempted and I think they have some sort of IDT on some models.