The Sewing Place

Lampshade finished

sewmuchmore

Lampshade finished
« on: April 26, 2017, 17:48:09 PM »
Finished at last, i have been making this on and off for the last 2 months and managed to get it finished today.
It's not easy being this perfekt

Janet

Efemera

Re: Lampshade finished
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2017, 20:38:36 PM »
Lovely..it's given the push I need... I've got one to start

Holly Berry

« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2017, 21:22:06 PM »
I remember as a child helping my Mum bind the frame of lampshades, she made loads.

I've fancied making some myself, but have not managed to find proper frames, they all seem to be the ones that have a solid frame and not the kind that you can bind and attach the fabric too.
Procrastination get behind me

Lowena

« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2017, 21:57:50 PM »
I think that's lovely  <3
Triumph of hope over experience :D

Catllar

« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2017, 12:57:21 PM »
Beautiful!
If life gives you lemons, add to gin and tonic !

Lilian

« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2017, 20:54:44 PM »
That's gorgeous!  :)
Willing but not always able :)

Lincoln hobbit

« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2017, 08:05:42 AM »
That looks lovely. I've never even tried anything like this, but I do need lots of lamp shades for my new house and I had considered trying to make at least one. I have the low energy bulbs so can you use any material? And can you paint onto the fabric? This may sound basic but any help would be lovely. Thanks

Iminei

« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2017, 13:15:53 PM »
Our local, local emporia (CottonMoon in Blandford) sell lampshade kits...so they are out there...

They look lovely made up with some of the gorgeous craft fabrics available.

The Imperfect Perfectionist sews again

UttaRetch

« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2017, 13:46:01 PM »
Beautiful fabric, but isn't upside down?

Iminei

« Reply #9 on: May 01, 2017, 16:33:23 PM »
Possibly.... but than again maybe the lampshade is upside down ???
The Imperfect Perfectionist sews again

Lantana

« Reply #10 on: May 01, 2017, 18:54:33 PM »
That's really stunning Sewmuchmore! Did you make the actual fabric yourself? I'm really pleased I clicked on this link now .... a really special make. <3

:vintage:

sewmuchmore

« Reply #11 on: May 02, 2017, 17:47:04 PM »
That's really stunning Sewmuchmore! Did you make the actual fabric yourself? I'm really pleased I clicked on this link now .... a really special make. <3

The panels are all individually made by layering bits of chiffon between 2 pieces of water soluble stabaliser, one of which had the outline of the pattern drawn onto it. I then free machined around the pattern and edges of the panels, washed away the stabaliser and then using a mini soldering iron cut away some of the fabric (you can probably see some of the burn marks!). I put the panels onto an existing lampshade for stability and then hand stitched them all on with the cord.

Janet

sewmuchmore

« Reply #12 on: May 02, 2017, 17:49:42 PM »
Beautiful fabric, but isn't upside down?
It looks as if the pattern goes up then down in a sort of stripe, this would drive me nuts looking at it.

Janet

sewmuchmore

« Reply #13 on: May 02, 2017, 18:01:54 PM »
That looks lovely. I've never even tried anything like this, but I do need lots of lamp shades for my new house and I had considered trying to make at least one. I have the low energy bulbs so can you use any material? And can you paint onto the fabric? This may sound basic but any help would be lovely. Thanks

See this for painting on lampshades http://www.remodelaholic.com/hand-painted-lamp-shade-tutorial/
and this book is really useful
book

Janet

Lantana

« Reply #14 on: May 02, 2017, 23:22:05 PM »
The panels are all individually made by layering bits of chiffon between 2 pieces of water soluble stabaliser, one of which had the outline of the pattern drawn onto it. I then free machined around the pattern and edges of the panels, washed away the stabaliser and then using a mini soldering iron cut away some of the fabric (you can probably see some of the burn marks!). I put the panels onto an existing lampshade for stability and then hand stitched them all on with the cord.

You've made a wonderful job of it! I thought it looked a bit like the pictures I'd seen in 'experimental embroidery' type books so thought you must have made it yourself.  :) Even more impressed now!