The Sewing Place

Singer 4423 Heavy duty

Greybird

Singer 4423 Heavy duty
« on: November 26, 2019, 20:19:42 PM »
Does anyone know anything about this machine? My daughter is thinking about buying one in addition to her old Elna. Apparently it's capable of stitching through 8 layers of denim and she thinks it would be good for the dog collars etc that she makes. We have no idea who it's actually made by.

Ohsewsimple

Re: Singer 4423 Heavy duty
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2019, 22:34:18 PM »
Yes steer clear, they’re absolute rubbish.  When we got one at the shop I was the poor sap that had to try it out.  It definitely doesn’t do what it’s advertised as.  It is a modern Singer after all.

Greybird

« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2019, 22:53:15 PM »
Oh dear! Thank you for that. Can you suggest an alternative she can look at?

Sara-S

« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2019, 12:19:46 PM »
I have this machine and it works just fine for me.  It's easy to use and while not a feather weight, neither is it too heavy to take with me.  I have not used it to sew through very thick fabrics, so I can't comment on that.
You can't scare me. I taught high school for 32 years.

Greybird

« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2019, 13:53:21 PM »
Thank you @Sara-S - that's encouraging!

coffeeandcake

« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2019, 14:57:36 PM »
I have a Singer 201k, which is fantastic for doggy stuff.  It sews through heavy webbing like a warm knife cutting through butter.

Greybird

« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2019, 15:16:56 PM »
Thank you! I will let her know. A recommendation is always better!

Ohsewsimple

« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2019, 15:39:03 PM »
If she's looking to use it for  heavy stuff then the old metal bodied machines are the best.  As @coffeeandcake says the 201k would be great. 

KayK

« Reply #8 on: November 27, 2019, 21:01:44 PM »
Anything marketed nowadays as 'heavy duty' or 'semi-industrial' usually isn't.  The old metal bodied machines, as previously mentioned are pretty good, I did use my Singer 201 for mending horse rugs, but it didn't really do it a lot of good, although it could manage it.  If she is really serious about heavy duty sewing, a good old industrial will march through anything. 
I have learnt by my mistakes: Sewing machines now are Bernina 720, Bernina 1008, Bernina 801 from 1981, Brother overlocker, ancient but works well

Greybird

« Reply #9 on: November 27, 2019, 23:07:27 PM »
Thank you all for your input - much appreciated. My daughter is somewhat crestfallen. She had seen this machine in Hobbycraft and then did much online research to find only good reviews - as did I. I have suggested that she go back and ask to try the machine on her own fabric samples. I suspect that that might decide the matter one way or the other. If she doesn't like it I will steer her towards the 201K.

It might have to wait a while though. She came home from work this evening to find that they'd had an offer on their house. Some negotiations are going on but if it works out another trip to Yorkshire is on the cards for the weekend.

Greybird

« Reply #10 on: February 07, 2020, 22:50:05 PM »
This was put on hold because of my daughter's on/off, on/off house move. It does look as if it's back on again but my fingers have cramp from being crossed for too long!

Anyway, today I went into my local sewing machine service shop to ask about the cost of a service for my machine. Whilst I was there, I spotted one of these Singers that had just come in for repair and I asked the (very nice) lady what she thought of them. She didn't utter the words, but her face echoed what @Ohsewsimple said - "Don't touch it with a bargepole!"

I explained what my daughter needed and she showed me a Husqvarna 55-30 that had been refurbished. She really wasn't "selling" it to me but said it should do what she wants. Having spoken to my daughter I am going back to have a closer look and try it. I am a Husqvarna fan but this isn't one I know. Does anyone else have any knowledge or experience of it?

Greybird

« Reply #11 on: February 27, 2020, 14:48:04 PM »
After all that, my daughter has just taken delivery of her brand new Elna Experience 520. It apparently comes with a recommendation for coping with several thicknesses of fabric which is what she wanted. It usually sells at £399 but she got it from BSK for £289. She was about to read right through the manual before sitting down to use it!

Thanks everyone for all your assistance.

Gittje

« Reply #12 on: February 27, 2020, 14:57:57 PM »
Much better choice than the Singer 4423  ;)