The Sewing Place

Combining Prints contest - voting thread

Manuela

Combining Prints contest - voting thread
« on: November 27, 2019, 13:04:41 PM »
#1 SewRuthieSews' Entry

I made an oversized knit top, combining two fabrics from stash. One a striped floral, the other a coloured leopard print.

Style Arc Ivy

I sewed this as per the instructions using overlocker and coverhem. I shortened the neckband by 1 inch and made the sleeves a bit longer/wider to accommodate my large upper arm.
I love how it came out and plan to wear it with black jeans.

FRONT

BACK

SIDES

#2 indigotiger's Entry
  • What did you make and how did you play with the prints/patterns?
    I made a long sleeve knit top, using a combination of six different knit fabrics, combined with reverse applique and embroidery:
  • Pattern used:
    self-drafted TNT knit top pattern with raglan sleeves and a princess seamed front bodice
  • A short description on how you made it/problems overcome/etc:
    I had just completed a scrappy collage cardigan and decided that making a long sleeve knit top to wear under it would be a creative "twin set". I wanted to continue using up the leftover scraps from various other knit top projects. This top used grey cotton floral jersey, grey/white marled hemp, black/cream marled hemp, black/cream striped cotton rib, blue/grey striped hemp, and black cotton/lycra jersey. I used some of my favorite Alabama Chanin style techniques of hand stitching, and reverse applique.
    One difficulty I had was that there wasn't quite enough of the grey floral cotton to cut out the whole of the front and back pieces, so I had to add extra piecing to the sides of the pattern pieces (which isn't really visible when I wear it) and do some rather tricksy sorting out around the neckline in how I overlapped the pieces. Normally I would cut out the whole front pieces, and then stitch on any decorative bits, and only then cut away any excess layers... in this case, I had to use the pattern pieces to line up the collar layers atop the partial front panels, which was annoying, but the results were worth it. 
    more images and writing about creating the decorative cloud collar in my blog post here

« Last Edit: December 08, 2019, 04:25:02 AM by Manuela »

Manuela

Re: Combining Prints contest - voting thread
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2019, 11:04:47 AM »
Voting has started   :)

justpottering

« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2019, 13:52:11 PM »
So impressed well done both  :loveit:
JP
Dressmaker - but first......tea

Catllar

« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2019, 14:23:17 PM »
Shame to have to choose between these two, they are both lovely. Anyhow, I've voted!
If life gives you lemons, add to gin and tonic !

Greybird

« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2019, 15:17:03 PM »
I have voted too and I agree - another eeny meeny moment!

Lachica

« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2019, 17:55:52 PM »
They're both great, very creative. Difficult to choose.
Mary
2020 stash: not gonna count, not gonna feel guilty.