The Sewing Place

FREE Digitising software available to download.

Kad

FREE Digitising software available to download.
« on: November 28, 2019, 10:54:27 AM »
I was having a mooch around the internet last evening and came upon these two sources of FREE embroidery digitising s/w

-  wingsxp.com - my editor.
 this runs on Windows XP upto Windows 10. " A free, simple viewing and editing software with some innovative features and functions. It was mainly developed to provide the capability to view and modify supported embroidery files and then re-save them in any of the available embroidery file formats"

- inkstitch.org - ink/stitch.
" An open source machine embroidery design platform based on Inkscape. Ink/Stitch aims to be a full-fledged, cross platform embroidery digitising platform based entirely on free, open source s/w. Our goal is to be approachable for hobbyists while also providing the power needed by professional digitisers."

Does anybody know anything about either or both of them?
I'm thinking that one or both of them might save me having to by the software peddled by the big sewing machine manufacturers
'Jill' of many aspects of sewing, "Mistress" of few.

Acorn

Re: FREE Digitising software available to download.
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2019, 11:43:51 AM »
I tried Ink/Stitch.  I can't remember anything about it unfortunately, although I didn't persist with it - I think I was looking for something to add lettering to files and it either didn't work very well or was difficult to figure out. 

I think the only way to find out is to test them yourself - what I find difficult to fathom may make absolute sense to you!

I ended up paying £45 for SewWhat Pro, which does a little more than the free software, but, naturally, isn't anything like full digitising software.  I like it very much, although when I want to print out files for in-the-hoop patterns I use Premier+ (the free version) because it keeps a file on one page and doesn't print all the extra info that I don't want!
I might look as though I'm talking to you, but inside my head I'm sewing.

SewRuthieSews

« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2019, 09:30:19 AM »
Sounds interesting. I can't even view the embroidery files I have so something that lets me do that would be good.

Seweasy

« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2019, 15:52:19 PM »
@SewRuthieSews if you don't have an embroidery software program, you can go to the Embroidery Library website, click on any project / tutorial and you will be able to download a free version of Wilcoms Truesizer. This is a very basic package, but it allows you to preview your 'saved' designs on your computer, as well as see how they will stitch out, you can also resize them, if you needed to and print off templates to help with placement as well..... ;)

Thought I'd add the link to the free site here....better than searching for ages on Embroidery Library website

I downloaded the desktop version as this allows 'previews' of your designs in windows
« Last Edit: December 02, 2019, 16:05:06 PM by Seweasy »
I'm so much better at buying fabric, than  I am at using it up....

fajita

« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2019, 17:57:14 PM »
Does the software supplied with embroidery machines not do this sort of thing?

Ohsewsimple

« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2019, 18:44:30 PM »
@fajita software doesn’t generally come with the machine.  Sometimes there’s an offer from the machine companies but it’s usually an extra.

fajita

« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2019, 18:45:28 PM »

Celia

« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2019, 21:34:16 PM »
@fajita it does depend on the make of machine,both Husqvarna and Pfaff machines come with some free software which enables you to view, change format, print etc. The latest version is Premier plus2

Ann

« Reply #8 on: December 20, 2019, 10:27:24 AM »
I played with Premier+ as my old software is on a computer that has no internet connection (it did and it won't work now). I enjoyed it and after 6 weeks of playing and wanting all the features I bought it and installed it yesterday. Pricey but worth it as I am getting back into machine embroidery. Now to find lessons on how to use it to its fullest.
Stash Busting 2023
Goal: 50 metres

Celia

« Reply #9 on: December 20, 2019, 12:00:17 PM »
@Ann I am really sure you will like it, I wish you were nearer, if I can help with any questions just let me know, I don’t use it as much as I used to and I mainly use the Mac version witch one do you use Mac or Windows?

Ann

« Reply #10 on: December 20, 2019, 21:35:55 PM »
@Celia, I am using the Mac version.

I did 4 little designs today using a snowflake design I got for free and adding an alphabet I bought. I have to change the colors to what I want which is easy. And I'm excited as I figured out how to do a picture.  :)

The wall hanging will have the word SNOW on it.
Stash Busting 2023

Ann

« Reply #11 on: February 25, 2020, 10:49:55 AM »
I've played with Premier +2 Ultra for nearly 2 months and have learned a lot. I put together files to make wall hangings and they have been fun to stitch out.  This is the one I made in January.

After I figured out a few things, I really wanted to use the other modules that come with the software and found a group on FB and am learning how to trace a picture and then fill in the parts with different fills. I struggled with this on the Mac but am being persistent. I did put the software on the PC and it is much easier to do. I'm doing the lessons 3 times; twice on the Mac and once on the PC. My goal is to learn how to digitize some pieces for the dolls. I know I am crazy but I'm having a bit of fun and learning at the same time.

@Celia, if I need help, I will be asking for it.
Stash Busting 2023

Celia

« Reply #12 on: February 25, 2020, 13:55:49 PM »
Thats great to hear, I must admit I think the Windows version of the software is a bit easier when you are using design creator.  I love seeing what you are doing just wish I had a bit more time to do things.