The Sewing Place

Anyone fancy helping me choose a coverstitch machine?

Kittensposies

Anyone fancy helping me choose a coverstitch machine?
« on: November 30, 2019, 09:58:21 AM »
Morning all!

I’ve been dithering about buying a coverstitch for months, got to try a few out at the knitting and stitching show, and have a dilemma.

I have seen a few really good deals on the Janome CoverPro, but I’ve read that it’s not a great machine.

There’s the Britannia machine, but I’m concerned that I’d be stuck for accessories as the guy at the show said you couldn’t use universal accessories.

I’ve found a Singer coverstitch which I’ve heard nothing about, but it’s a reasonable price... I know the Elna is the same as the Janome, but Singer doesn’t appear to have comparisons.

Then I’ve found a Juki, which is double my budget. But it’s fabulous.

What would you do?

I am soooo sick of my awful twin needle hems, so many things that are unwearable because the twin needle hem is a disaster (tunnelling, so many skipped stitches).

I did consider selling my overlocker and getting a combined machine but older posts on here suggested that was a false economy.

Hmmmmmm. Decisions. Any advice?

Kittensposies

Re: Anyone fancy helping me choose a coverstitch machine?
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2019, 10:04:43 AM »
Oh I forgot one - Bernina B42. It’s cheaper than the Juki, but the man at the show said that unless you’re getting the Juki you may as well get the Britannia...  not sure how true that is!

Vezelay

« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2019, 10:16:26 AM »
I have the Coverpro 2000 about a year now. It doesn't get that much use so I couldn't really justify spending so much more on the Juki. It's been fine, just needs me to put more time and effort into reading about how best to use it but so far it's done everything I want.

Personally I'm more comfortable buying what I can afford but that's your choice.

Kittensposies

« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2019, 10:19:01 AM »
Thanks Vezelay! They’re all affordable; it’s the value for money aspect that I can’t figure out as there just aren’t that many reviews out there.

I’d rather buy second hand, but not many sellers use PayPal, and I only ever use PayPal for buying online as you get buyer protection.

Vezelay

« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2019, 11:16:42 AM »
In that case, it goes against the grain (my grain anyway) but Johanna Lu who wrote "Master the Coverstitch Machine" (which I own but haven't read yet :|), says to get the best machine you can afford.

If you follow that advice, just forget the rest and buy the Juki! I'm assuming it's the MCS 1800 that I see you can buy in the UK for £700? It's much more expensive here.

Edit: I see Juki UK are selling the MCS 1500 for £629 which sounds great value. https://jukiuk.com/shop/coverstitch-sewing-machines/mcs-1800/. This one seems to come top in a lot of 2019 reviews.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2019, 11:23:24 AM by Vezelay »

Ploshkin

« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2019, 11:21:45 AM »
You say that you can't get accessories for the Britannia but would you want accessories?   My guess would be that very few people use a coverstitch for anything other than hems.  Anything else you nay be able to do with a coverstitch you can probably do just as well with a sewing machine.
Life's too short for ironing.

jintie

« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2019, 11:24:12 AM »
I have a convertible Bernina 1300DC serger and only managed to convert once.
Instead I use honeycomb stitch on an ordinary sewing machine (hint from ejvc).
« Last Edit: November 30, 2019, 11:40:04 AM by jintie »
Rottweiler with scissors

SkoutSews

« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2019, 11:38:05 AM »
I have a Janome 2000.  It does the job, though I am going to try raising the rear feed dogs as suggested on another thread here  To be fair it doesn't usually skip stitches and behaves itself.  I've tried a few of the dodges for sewing over seams etc which all help.

Myself, I bought the machine when it was on a very good offer and I wouldn't have paid any more for it.  They are a bit of a one-trick pony, it's just that they do that trick very well.  I never had much success with double needle hemming either.  I use the chainstitch occasionally for sewing up toiles or 'tacking' to test fit.

I think I know who you spoke to on the Juki stand, he's a very good salesman!  He sold me a Juki overlocker last year, but to be fair that was a considered and researched purchase on my part so I was easy prey.

The Janome has been a good machine for me, though I haven't tried any others!

Acorn

« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2019, 12:08:27 PM »
I bought a pack of accessories for my Britannia with the machine, at a very good price (£99).  I can't imagine needing any others.  The accessories are: Belt Loop Folder, Binder Attachment, Hem Guide Foot, Clear-view Foot and Storage Box.

I have to admit that I haven't used my coverstitch very much, and I have never used or tested any other coverstitch machine, but I am happy with it insofar as I have used it! 
I might look as though I'm talking to you, but inside my head I'm sewing.

SkoutSews

« Reply #9 on: November 30, 2019, 12:22:45 PM »
Ah yes,  you will need a clear view foot. That was the only extra I bought. The machines should come with that as standard.

Acorn

« Reply #10 on: November 30, 2019, 12:27:28 PM »
Yes - once I'd changed to the clearview foot I couldn't understand why anyone would ever use a solid one.
I might look as though I'm talking to you, but inside my head I'm sewing.

Ohsewsimple

« Reply #11 on: November 30, 2019, 12:49:10 PM »
I’ve got a Babylock BLCS 2.   They have got expensive now but I love it.  I think @Bodgeitandscarper has one too.  I originally had a Janome which I bought from a friend but did find it a bit temperamental. 
I also use a clear foot but I think they suggest using the metal one as it grips better.  But it’s whatever you’re comfortable with isn’t it. 

Helen M

« Reply #12 on: November 30, 2019, 13:08:05 PM »
What would you do?

Don't get a combined machine! The only extra I have with my Janome 1000 CPX, apart from the clear foot (essential as others have said), is the hem guide and I only use the metal part but it's good. I like the 'harp' space on the Janome as well, plenty of room to manoeuvre the garment.

Will you use the coverstitch machine frequently? I don't but I wouldn't be without it. I went to Harrogate yesterday (last minute decision!) and looked at the Babylock. I was not impressed by the sample that the sales person did, it tunnelled on any fabric other than some ordinary cotton woven. She said 'I suppose the tension needs altering' I felt like telling her to d**n well change it if you want to make a sale! Excuse my French but it's not the way to sell a machine..........
Stash Busting 2024 - Goal: 25 metres
So far:  1.5 metres  ------ Donated : 0 metres
Items decluttered: 55

Bodgeitandscarper

« Reply #13 on: November 30, 2019, 13:14:46 PM »
I swapped my Janome for a Babylock.  The Janome (I think it was the 2000) used to skip stitches, but the Babylock never does.  To avoid tunnelling on thin jersey fabrics, I make sure each row of stitches is on two layers of fabric.  But then bought garments often show tunnelling so it's not something I worry about too much.

Ohsewsimple

« Reply #14 on: November 30, 2019, 13:23:18 PM »
Don’t usually have to change the tension on my Babylock.
@Kittensposies do you know who was demonstrating?