The Sewing Place

Anyone fancy helping me choose a coverstitch machine?

Kittensposies

Re: Anyone fancy helping me choose a coverstitch machine?
« Reply #15 on: November 30, 2019, 13:29:45 PM »
I’ve found the old style Britannia for £300 on Pembertons website. It is swaying me... that’s assuming it’s in stock.

Then the Juki MCS-1500 on Juki website for £629 that Vezelay found. And Amazon has the Bernina Bernette B42 for £450. EBay has the Singer one at a good price too...

Helen that’s terrible the BabyLock demonstration was so bad!! You’d think they would have sorted out any tension problems before trying to get people to part with large sums of money

Kittensposies

« Reply #16 on: November 30, 2019, 13:32:16 PM »
@Ohsewsimple It was Franklins demonstrating the Juki and Britannia machines! They were really helpful, both machines sewed fabulously over even hideous stretch lycra.

Ohsewsimple

« Reply #17 on: November 30, 2019, 13:54:05 PM »
Franklin’s are pretty good. 
I would avoid the Singer machines. 
I have a few accessories with my machine but like most people don’t generally use them.  But a coverstitch machine can do more than just hems.  They are good for decorative work and they make wonderful cords.

So Chic

« Reply #18 on: November 30, 2019, 14:02:31 PM »
I have a Janome CoverPro 1000CP and the only accessory I have bought is the clear view foot.  There is a post on here about adjusting the feed dogs if the machine is skipping stitches.
So Chic
Bernina Artista 630, Bernina 800DL, Janome Cover Pro 1000CP and an elderly Singer Touch & Sew 720G as a back up

Ellabella

« Reply #19 on: November 30, 2019, 14:28:53 PM »
I'm sure a couple of people on here got the Britannia one recently, try doing a search and see what comes up.

I bought an old Babylock combi and use it as a cover stitcher and its wonderful, but finding a babylock at a good price is like finding hens teeth :ninja:
« Last Edit: November 30, 2019, 14:37:10 PM by Ellabella »

Kad

« Reply #20 on: November 30, 2019, 14:30:07 PM »
I went to buy the Janome 2000CP and came back with the Brother one , sorry can't remember the number. It's's a 5 thread machine, 3 needles and 2 loopers AND t comes with a clear foot AND it has markings on the bed to help with hemming etc. It's not been any trouble, in fact I've not needed to alter any preset settings yet despite sewing knits, wovens both thick and fine.
'Jill' of many aspects of sewing, "Mistress" of few.

Acorn

« Reply #21 on: November 30, 2019, 15:18:27 PM »
@Kittensposies I can't remember where you are (and I'm on my phone so can't be bothered to check) but when I was trying to find a Britannia Pemberton's website said that they couldn't sell them outside Scotland, and when I emailed to check they confirmed it.
I might look as though I'm talking to you, but inside my head I'm sewing.

Celia

« Reply #22 on: November 30, 2019, 16:21:49 PM »
I demo Babylock machines sometimes (it wasn’t  me at Harrogate I promise) please don’t be put off because it is a fabulous machine and works very consistently.  I have also used Janome and Bernina dedicated machines plus  Husqvarna, Pfaff, Bernina and Babylock combined machines.  My own machine is a Babylock combined and I make most of my own clothes in stretch fabric. Hope this helps

Kittensposies

« Reply #23 on: November 30, 2019, 19:18:29 PM »
@Kittensposies I can't remember where you are (and I'm on my phone so can't be bothered to check) but when I was trying to find a Britannia Pemberton's website said that they couldn't sell them outside Scotland, and when I emailed to check they confirmed it.

That is very good to know!  Thank you!  I am in Yorkshire, though I did live in Scotland for a loooong time.  We have friends there I could get it sent to if I was so inclined  :D

I am no closer to a decision.  I have spent the afternoon looking for preloved/ used/ reboxed.

I've just checked out the Brother one with 5 spools, it looks good, though when I googled it I found a post here where someone returned it for being too fiddly.  I don't want fiddly. 

There is a Janome CoverPro 1000 on eBay with a whole load of accessories that might be a good deal, though I don't know if they'll post. 

Lachica

« Reply #24 on: November 30, 2019, 19:31:29 PM »
I've had the Janome 2000 for a couple of years, haven't used it a mega amount but wouldn't be without now. It seems many owners need to raise the rear feed dogs to improve the stitch but mine seems ok. I had one project that it wouldn't sew but tried @Fabric Lover's machine (a Brother) and hers didn't like the fabric either. I think the key is to keep going - slowly if necessary - as my looper thread often breaks if I stop & start. If buying again I'd get the Brother (don't know the model of @Fabric Lover's but it's a Brother) as I like the presser foot raise lever on the right like on the overlocker. I also bought the clear foot, IMO it should be supplied with the machine as it's do much easier than the solid foot.
Mary
2020 stash: not gonna count, not gonna feel guilty.

Kittensposies

« Reply #25 on: November 30, 2019, 19:47:26 PM »
@Lachica John Lewis are selling the Janome 2000 for £400, which is very tempting!  And at least with John Lewis I know I can take it physically to the shop if anything goes wrong...

Lachica

« Reply #26 on: November 30, 2019, 21:00:35 PM »
@Kittensposies that's a good price. If I remember correctly I paid about that from SMD in 2017. I'm not sure how good JL would be at fixing any problems, but they're usually very good about replacing faulty items. I strongly recommend buying the clear foot, it will make your learning curve easier. I bought mine a couple of months ago as didn't know it existed until I joined the Janome coverstitch group on Facebook.
Mary

coffeeandcake

« Reply #27 on: November 30, 2019, 21:12:13 PM »
I have the Janome 2000  and don't have any problems with it. I do tend to sew quite slowly over seams to avoid potential skipped stitches. I also trim the thickness of fabrics at the seams.

Kittensposies

« Reply #28 on: November 30, 2019, 22:21:02 PM »
I thought I was either going to get the Janome or Brother, but I just keep coming back to the Britannia because I can get the machine plus accessories for just £50 more than the Janome, and £50 less than the Brother... Why am I so rubbish at spending money?!

Lachica

« Reply #29 on: November 30, 2019, 22:39:58 PM »
@Kittensposies do you have a nearby stockist where you could try the machines? Do you live near enough to anyone on TSP who would let you try theirs? You're welcome to come & try mine if you're anywhere near. I'm in RG5, near Wokingham, not far from the M4 if that helps?

I'm also rubbish at spending on myself - years of putting others first maybe?
Mary