The Sewing Place

Anyone fancy helping me choose a coverstitch machine?

Kittensposies

Re: Anyone fancy helping me choose a coverstitch machine?
« Reply #30 on: December 01, 2019, 11:21:35 AM »
@Lachica Thank you so much for the lovely offer, sadly I’m in Yorkshire!

I did get to try the Britannia one when I was at the knitting and stitching show, and it just wasn’t love, but maybe it doesn’t have to be for that price? It also took up a lot of space.

John Lewis in Cheadle still has a decent haberdashery section so I may call them and see if they have the Janome on site; I know they stock it online. I don’t know anywhere that stocks the Brother machine.

I know exactly what you mean - Any spare money I usually have goes on getting stuff fixed around the house, or buying stuff for the baby; it’s very frustrating not being able to be selfish now and then ;)

Lachica

« Reply #31 on: December 01, 2019, 12:32:57 PM »
@Kittensposies ah, yes, a bit of a long drive. I know nothing about the Britannia machine. I bought mine after searching reviews but now find a lot of people saying the Janome skips stitches. I didn't see those beforehand
Mary
2020 stash: not gonna count, not gonna feel guilty.

Helen M

« Reply #32 on: December 01, 2019, 13:03:15 PM »
@Lachica Thank you so much for the lovely offer, sadly I’m in Yorkshire!

I did get to try the Britannia one when I was at the knitting and stitching show, and it just wasn’t love, but maybe it doesn’t have to be for that price? It also took up a lot of space.

John Lewis in Cheadle still has a decent haberdashery section so I may call them and see if they have the Janome on site; I know they stock it online. I don’t know anywhere that stocks the Brother machine.

I know exactly what you mean - Any spare money I usually have goes on getting stuff fixed around the house, or buying stuff for the baby; it’s very frustrating not being able to be selfish now and then ;)

@Kittensposies I'm very close to J Lewis in Cheadle and I'm 99% certain that they don't have it on display even though it will be on their website.

I know you mentioned the Brother machine but I read several reviews on different threads on Pattern Review forum, one of which said they hated the machine .............. There was a Yorkshire Janome stand at Harrogate, I can't recall who they were but maybe you could go and test the machine at their shop. Did you get a show programme? I have one and can look it up for you if that would be a help.

I know what you mean about not 'loving' a machine and I'd say don't go for that one. I was like that with my overlocker 30 years ago! I was keen for a Janome because my sewing machine was theirs, but I went for a Brother which I still have, love and use to this day!
Stash Busting 2024 - Goal: 25 metres
So far:  1.5 metres  ------ Donated : 0 metres
Items decluttered: 55

SkoutSews

« Reply #33 on: December 01, 2019, 14:44:31 PM »
The Janome stand at the show was White Rose Sewing and they're based in Harrogate.

Vezelay

« Reply #34 on: December 01, 2019, 17:36:52 PM »
The trouble with testing a machine when you haven't sewn with one before - first overlocker, first coverstitcher - is that you aren't really sure what to look out for (at least I wasn't). So I've tended to choose mine on the advice of a local machine seller/repairer that I trust and from online reviews. Yes, I've "tried them out" first but frankly I haven't been much the wiser afterwards. I'll know better second time around of course :)

Kittensposies

« Reply #35 on: December 01, 2019, 17:45:19 PM »
Aw thank you everyone! I’ve done a good bit of googling today and can’t find a retailer nearby that has the Brother; one has the 5 thread version, but my chance to try these all out was the show, as I never get time to myself otherwise

Kittensposies

« Reply #36 on: December 01, 2019, 17:52:38 PM »
@Vezelay thats a really good point. If only I had one of those useful people! I think I’m going to mull it over for a few days and hope the discounts remain in the run up to Christmas.

Thanks everyone so much for the help! You’ve given me a lot of really useful advice :)

Kad

« Reply #37 on: December 01, 2019, 18:10:00 PM »

They all seem to have mixed reviews - a lot of reviews saying the Janome skips stitches, which is my ultimate bugbear, and the Brother is fiddly the thread. I’m leaning towards the Brother because the whole point of getting a coverstitch machine is to avoid having the whole hems of skipped stitches that I currently have. I think I’d happily deal with fiddly threading if it didn’t skip stitches!

As I said, I've got the Brother 5 thread version and I have never considered it to be fiddly to thread, the needles can be challenging occasionally but that was solved by buying a good needle threader/needle holder tool for about £3. It's certainly quicker and easier than threading the overlocker
'Jill' of many aspects of sewing, "Mistress" of few.

Sewgorgeous

« Reply #38 on: December 01, 2019, 23:49:57 PM »
I demo Babylock machines sometimes (it wasn’t  me at Harrogate I promise) please don’t be put off because it is a fabulous machine and works very consistently.  I have also used Janome and Bernina dedicated machines plus  Husqvarna, Pfaff, Bernina and Babylock combined machines.  My own machine is a Babylock combined and I make most of my own clothes in stretch fabric. Hope this helps

I was thinking of a baby lock combined how is changing from overlock to coverstitch?

SkoutSews

« Reply #39 on: December 02, 2019, 10:20:18 AM »
I have the Janome 2000  and don't have any problems with it. I do tend to sew quite slowly over seams to avoid potential skipped stitches. I also trim the thickness of fabrics at the seams.

I was rereading this thread (currently unwell with a seasonal virus, ho ho ho  :S) and remembered that I had found this to be the way to use the Janome successfully. It's capable of high speed and so it's easy to get carried away! That was when I had skipped stitches. Now I observe a strict speed limit and all is well.

Wishing you well with your decisions.

Celia

« Reply #40 on: December 02, 2019, 11:28:23 AM »
@Sewgorgeous  it is very easy on the Babylock, the most difficult part is moving the needles, I used to have a Bernina and it was not easy at all. 

Gernella

« Reply #41 on: December 02, 2019, 15:36:34 PM »
I've had the Janome 2000 for around 2/3 years now and has never been a problem apart from tunnelling on light fabric, which has now been solved.  I use it in fits and starts, usually doing a two or three items on the trot, then it get pushed away for a few months.

If I had the money I would go for the Babylock, but only because everybody who has one seems to like them.  However, I think if I had the money I probably wouldn't, I don't do that much with it other than hems, necks and sleeves, bit of a one trick machine for me really.  But, it does do a good trick.

Stash extension 2024- 6.1 meters
Left at the end of 2023 - 66 meters now (includes fabric found hidden out of sight)  Lining fabric not included

Holly Berry

« Reply #42 on: December 02, 2019, 19:28:11 PM »
I’ve got the Coverpro 1000, which until a few weeks ago I would gladly have thrown out of the window. I’d tried every suggestion on the Internet, but nothing cured the skipped stitches and tunnelling on flimsier fabric, until I read on Facebook about adjusting the back feed dogs. What a difference, definitely now a keeper. Not only were the front ones higher, but the back ones weren’t level, no wonder they didn’t feed the fabric properly!! My only complaint now is that it’s a bit plasticky.

If and when I come to replace it, it will be a Juki, simply because, I’ve got a Juki overlocker and I’m soooo impressed with it. It’s so solid and feels like it’s built to last.
Procrastination get behind me

Kittensposies

« Reply #43 on: December 05, 2019, 17:57:08 PM »
I was all set to buy the Brother Coverstitch. Then husband said “shall we go to Center Parcs again at Easter... friend 1 and 2 are going with their kids...” and there went my coverstitch fund!!

I’ll keep scouting ebay and maybe a good preloved one will turn up. Definitely have a good idea of what I want now, so this thread is not in vain! Thank you all for helping me figure it out  :D

SkoutSews

« Reply #44 on: December 05, 2019, 21:49:35 PM »
Ha ha! Good decision and enjoy your holiday! The ideal coverstitch opportunity will come your way in time.