The Sewing Place

Anyone fancy helping me choose a coverstitch machine?

Sewbee

Re: Anyone fancy helping me choose a coverstitch machine?
« Reply #45 on: December 07, 2019, 08:35:23 AM »
If you want an easy life, go for the Babylock. My dealer tried to sell me the BLCS2 first off and I said no thank you because it was so expensive. The other one I had in mind was the Britannia. I had read about the Janome 2000 as being temperamental so ruled it out. Anyway, I agreed to try the Babylock and it not only looked lovely, it sewed beautifully with no problem - so easy! Threading is a breeze because it has the jet air threading. I then decided to try the Britannia for comparison but as soon as he opened it I said no thank you. It was so much bigger than the Babylock BLCS2 and appeared clunky! Needless to say I bought the Babylock and I am delighted with it. My dealer doesn’t sell Juki, which is another I might have looked at because it has good reviews, although the threading on the Babylock is a dream. I love the choice I made even though it was expensive. It’s a quality product.

Renegade Sewist

« Reply #46 on: December 07, 2019, 09:07:52 AM »
I'm in the hunt for one also, under the assumption that being able to do a decent hem would have me sew more knits. But that's a lot of money to invest on hemming a handful of tee shirts.  :o I looked at Babylock. They started at $800 and into the several thousands. Huh?  :S  Noooo....

You read mixed reviews on all of them so that's not all that much help. At Pattern review I did get a couple of Private messages with suggestions.

I've heard maybe more good then bad about the Brother and some good info on a Singer, though I'll need to check my notes to see if it's a combo or solo cover stitch.

Meanwhile, I've decided to just plop a bit of money aside every month so when I do make up my mind there's much of it already gathered up.

On the topic of feeling like you're being self indulgent spending on yourself, "Santa" has acquired a rather good quality tablet for me. It's bigger, so I can see things on it, 13 hour battery life so I can look at whatever I like in a days time and has decent cameras both front and back. Good being 5 and 8 mega pixels. Did I mention a good camera, big enough "viewfinder" that I can actually see what I'm looking at? Still, I could have gotten an adequate for my needs one for much less. This one was 5 times what the small one was.  :S

I figure I can use it to watch videos of home repairs while I do them. That way I might stop feeling like it was self indulgent.
Hey Bill! Read the manual!  Hehehe.

Mamashep

« Reply #47 on: January 11, 2020, 13:19:06 PM »
I have the Janome 1000CP, and I bought the clear foot as well. Strangely I had a 100CP years ago, which I sold to buy a combi machine. That was a big mistake and I went back to separate machines. The first Cover Pro was bad for skipping stitches, the second one rarely does. The feed dogs may have been set higher on the newer machine, as I dont think I have every had a problem with skipped stitches on it.

Kittensposies

« Reply #48 on: January 11, 2020, 13:49:32 PM »
Hi everyone!

I’ve got a permanent eye out for Babylock or Brother coverstitch machines on eBay  :D Nothing has come up yet!

In the meantime I’ve managed to make twin needle stitching a bit more successful on my sewing machine by buying a spare bobbin tray thingy and adjusting the tension to as close to zero as I can get. I still hate it though and am definitely avoiding sewing stretch and knit because of the hassle of hemming.