The Sewing Place

PLEASE HELP!!

Emily

PLEASE HELP!!
« on: November 30, 2019, 16:44:21 PM »
I am working on a goldwork project for my uncle but just bled on the linen!!

I can’t get it out. Please help me figure out what to do!! I can’t face starting it again.

HELP!!

SkoutSews

Re: PLEASE HELP!!
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2019, 16:54:34 PM »
Oh no! Salty water has always worked on bloodstains for me. Dissolve a little salt in lukewarm water and dab on gently with a clean cloth. Avoid overwetting or rubbing the fabric. Leave for a few minutes and repeat if necessary.

Flobear

« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2019, 17:11:11 PM »
Cold water with salt dissolved as previously described. Put a pad of clean white cloth under the area while treating and move it around so nothing transfers back on to the work.
Proud new owner of Elvistoo !!

wrenkins

« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2019, 17:17:39 PM »
Saliva!
The enzymes break down the blood.
Harbouring resentment is like swallowing poison and waiting for the other person to die!

sewingj

« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2019, 17:20:59 PM »
Another vote for saliva!

Kwaaked

« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2019, 18:34:40 PM »
Another for saliva.  But don't do it if you drink coffee or smoke.  Your own will eat it off.

When I bleed, I get my daughter to soak a Q-tip since I do both coffee and cigarettes. 

Acorn

« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2019, 19:04:38 PM »
I'm another who would try saliva closely followed by salt - in cold water, don't use hot water on blood.

Failing that I would try Vanish or Ace which have enzymes in them to break down the protein in the blood.

And failing that, you could add a couple of randomly placed stars (or other relevant images) to cover the mark.

Really beautiful work, by the way!
« Last Edit: November 30, 2019, 19:49:48 PM by Acorn »
I might look as though I'm talking to you, but inside my head I'm sewing.

Emily

« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2019, 19:31:34 PM »
Oh no! Salty water has always worked on bloodstains for me. Dissolve a little salt in lukewarm water and dab on gently with a clean cloth. Avoid overwetting or rubbing the fabric. Leave for a few minutes and repeat if necessary.

Thank you very much for your advice. ☺️

Lilian

« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2019, 21:29:05 PM »
Definitely your own saliva, always works  :)
Willing but not always able :)

Emily

« Reply #9 on: December 01, 2019, 10:12:05 AM »
Thank you all so much for your advice. I have tried everything, including your suggestions, but nothing has worked.

Iminei

« Reply #10 on: December 01, 2019, 10:27:07 AM »
Surely Shirley the saliva worked ?

Dont panic, Dont start again! Wait ....and B R E  A T H E !!

When I quilted cheesecakes quilt, there was blood on an extremely blank unquilted white part ...

After the quilt was finished I gave it a short wash on a delicate cycle and it came out good as new ...
Didnt it @Cheesecake  ??

Did you notice a spot of blood, somewhere in the middle?
The Imperfect Perfectionist sews again

Emily

« Reply #11 on: December 01, 2019, 12:17:10 PM »
Surely Shirley the saliva worked ?

Dont panic, Dont start again! Wait ....and B R E  A T H E !!

When I quilted cheesecakes quilt, there was blood on an extremely blank unquilted white part ...

After the quilt was finished I gave it a short wash on a delicate cycle and it came out good as new ...
Didnt it @Cheesecake  ??

Did you notice a spot of blood, somewhere in the middle?

Hello. ☺️ Thank you for your message. I’ve tried everything. Saliva didn’t work.

wrenkins

« Reply #12 on: December 01, 2019, 12:27:18 PM »
This is about to go rapidly downhill but did you soak it in spit and let it sit for a while?  :x
...and repeat.......  :[
Harbouring resentment is like swallowing poison and waiting for the other person to die!

Emily

« Reply #13 on: December 01, 2019, 12:28:46 PM »
This is about to go rapidly downhill but did you soak it in spit and let it sit for a while?  :x
...and repeat.......  :[

In the nicest way possible. Yes. 

Greybird

« Reply #14 on: December 01, 2019, 12:36:36 PM »
@Emily could you perhaps "frame" the goldwork with something else (ribbon, braid maybe?) before mounting
to cover the stain?
« Last Edit: December 01, 2019, 12:38:25 PM by Greybird »