The Sewing Place

Help me out with fabric choice

Vezelay

Help me out with fabric choice
« on: December 20, 2019, 11:52:32 AM »
It must be all the pre-Christmas activities - parties, concerts, card writing - that render  me even more indecisive than usual.

I'm making neck warmers for three early twenties, children of the 4 friends we'll spend Christmas Day with. All are graduates - the lad has just joined the Irish Army (peacekeepers). One girl 3rd year uni, the other job seeking.

Each neck warmer will have 2 fabrics, probably one polar bear side for each girl and two plain for the boy.

The fabrics in the picture are:

Bottom row L to R:
Navy polar fleece
Polar bear polar fleece
Burgundy brushed sweatshirt fleece
Purple polar fleece
Charcoal grey polar fleece

Next row up:
Fuscia pink brushed sweatshirt fleece
Light grey polar fleece
Royal blue polar fleece

Top row:
Soft flecked grey sports jersey (warm)
Pale blue brushed sweatshirt fleece  [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]  

I'd love to have your thoughts. They're very quick to make so probably Monday.

Ploshkin

Re: Help me out with fabric choice
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2019, 12:00:59 PM »
You could put every one of those fabric a with every other one and it would work -I think that makes 45 possible pairings but I'm not a mathematician.
Good luck!
Life's too short for ironing.

Goth Gardiner

« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2019, 12:27:29 PM »
Unless you are sure that the girls will like cartoon polar bears, while the boys get something more "adult' I would make them all plain.
There's no workman, whatsoever he be, That may both work well and hastily

Vezelay

« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2019, 12:38:50 PM »
You could put every one of those fabric a with every other one and it would work -I think that makes 45 possible pairings but I'm not a mathematician.
Good luck!

:D  :D Thanks @Ploshkin  - not enough fabric for all 45 so I'll need to narrow that down a bit...

Unless you are sure that the girls will like cartoon polar bears, while the boys get something more "adult' I would make them all plain.

Take your point @Goth Gardiner - if I was sure I wouldn't be asking. I just thought the polar bears were fun and there'd be a plain fabric on the reverse if they preferred that to show

Acorn

« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2019, 12:45:15 PM »
I'd go for the royal blue and the flecked grey for the lad - not as sober as the darker blue, but if he does want it to be sober he can have the grey side out.  Unless you know that he's an outgoing, bright colour sort of person, of course!
I might look as though I'm talking to you, but inside my head I'm sewing.

Helen M

« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2019, 12:53:38 PM »
How about the flecked grey with the light grey for boy? The purple and the charcoal grey and or the burgundy and charcoal (not sure how many you can get from each piece of fabric). Like the navy fleece with the flecked grey as well.
Stash Busting 2024 - Goal: 25 metres
So far:  1.5 metres  ------ Donated : 0 metres
Items decluttered: 55

Vezelay

« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2019, 15:37:27 PM »
This is great - keep them coming  :). No one for the bears then...

SkoutSews

« Reply #7 on: December 20, 2019, 16:30:21 PM »
I like the bears and would suggest the pink one and the purple one with bears for the girls. I'd go along with the blues and greys for the boys.

wrenkins

« Reply #8 on: December 20, 2019, 16:43:12 PM »
I'd go with navy with pale blue (for me) and navy with fuchsia (also for me). The boy probably won't care.  0_0
Harbouring resentment is like swallowing poison and waiting for the other person to die!

BrendaP

« Reply #9 on: December 20, 2019, 17:00:24 PM »
Bears and fuschia for the girl, any contrasting pairs for the boys.
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

Vezelay

« Reply #10 on: December 24, 2019, 21:10:13 PM »
Here we go - last minute as usual. I made another couple for me, not shown, been wearing them out walking. Happy enough and your feedback helped  :) (And they're pandas of course, not polar bears - what was I thinking?)
  [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]    [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]    [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]  
« Last Edit: December 24, 2019, 21:13:09 PM by Vezelay »

wrenkins

« Reply #11 on: December 25, 2019, 06:57:00 AM »
Very nice but mine still haven't arrived. Must be the Christmas mail holding them up.  ;)
Harbouring resentment is like swallowing poison and waiting for the other person to die!