The Sewing Place

Pound Fabrics

b15erk

Pound Fabrics
« on: December 04, 2019, 10:12:45 AM »
This is not a moan, although it may come across as one.  More of a reminder that illustrations online sometimes don't give a good representation of what you are buying.

This order to Pound Fabrics, was a comfort buy, and I sort of had an idea that two of the fabrics I ordered would be duff.  I was wrong about the two being duff - only one, and not the one I thought either.

I bought 3 lots of fabric.  A green jersey type, listed at 30p a metre, and I was just curious as to what you could get for this price.  The fabric is actually very nice, although I have no idea what to use it for.  The second was a lucky dip at £2, and is a lovely piece of cotton floral - about 2mtrs.  Last was the bright pink rib knit at £2.50 a metre.  Well, what can I say?  I think the description should have said 'fluorescent' pink - it is very bright!!  :S

It also took a week to get here, but that is down to the courier Hermes not Pound Fabrics.

In total I paid £15.79 for at least 8metres of fabric - delivery was £5.99, so I shouldn't really grumble.

Maybe this should be in a thread entitled Having a moan... ;)

Jessie
« Last Edit: December 04, 2019, 10:14:28 AM by b15erk »
Jessie, who is very happy to be here!!  :),  but who has far too many sewing machines to be healthy, and a fabric stash which is becoming embarrassing.

wrenkins

Re: Pound Fabrics
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2019, 10:25:54 AM »
I've ordered from them too and it's a mixed bag. Most of the fabric I've had is great but one was described as toweling and is just stretch jersey. It was £1 a metre so I'll use it for toiles or something.
I ordered a white polycotton with black kites/polka dots on it and the quality is great. I'll use it for my Linus project backing...if and when.  :S
Harbouring resentment is like swallowing poison and waiting for the other person to die!

Kittensposies

« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2019, 10:49:37 AM »
I've also ordered from them, and found the service really good, but the fabric is absolutely pot luck as you say!  The descriptions are not comprehensive enough I've found, and not enough images, but on the plus side, it's so cheap that I can use fabric to make (semi)wearable toiles.  The good stuff seems to go really quickly.

Ellabella

« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2019, 11:31:02 AM »
Never heard of Pound Fabrics before and I really shouldn’t browse fabric websites whilst unsupervised  :S

They have several fleece backed jerseys which should be lovely for my DGD and they could be bought in individual metres plus a couple of pieces for me 0_0

Certainly worth a punt but I now will have to be a lot more circumspect when I do the sewing class trip to Leeds next week :S

Hey Ho it’s nearly Christmas.

BrendaP

« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2019, 08:43:56 AM »
Norty @b15erk   you have just made me order some more fabric  ;)
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

Bodgeitandscarper

« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2019, 08:55:53 AM »
I may just drift onto Pound Fabric's website in a bit... 0_0

wrenkins

« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2019, 09:46:20 AM »
I ordered some cotton sateen for toileing and have ended up keeping it for 'best'.  :S
Harbouring resentment is like swallowing poison and waiting for the other person to die!

Ellabella

« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2019, 19:37:54 PM »
I’ve just opened my parcel from Pound Fabrics and am really delighted.

Thanks Jessie for pointing this site out.

I bought some pointe and some fine jersey for toiles but am thinking that both will be fine for garments. There is some Star Wars jersey that will make matching PJs for the grandkids and some fleece backed jersey to make little jackets for my GD.

Lots to do now!

BrendaP

« Reply #8 on: December 09, 2019, 21:33:24 PM »
My parcel arrived today 0_0

The printed fleece at £3.95 is fine, the jersey at £2 is fine and a bundle of 3x3m stretch/jersey for £9 so £1 per metre which consists of :
Mixed animal fur/acanthus leaves print in browns and black.  Sounds odd but it's actually quite nice.
Peach and white blotchy diagonal stripes.  Ok-ish, might get used for a summer top.
Beige polka dots on navy printed onto a stretchy fabric with squiggley, slightly see-through, lines incorprated onto the knit.  Definitely not my colours but nothing wrong with the actual fabric.
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.