The Sewing Place

Singer 99k - she’s fighting back!

mums sewing machine

Singer 99k - she’s fighting back!
« on: December 04, 2019, 15:19:09 PM »
Hey

Can I pick your brains please? 
I’ve recently bought a 99k handcrank (1930) and I’m just trying to get her working again. She was sold as ‘working condition ‘ and I have put some fabric through her which was ok, although the bobbin tension was a bit strange!
I’ve just tried winding a bobbin, I’ve replaced the bobbin tyre. But when I try to loosen the balance wheel and then crank for the bobbin, the take up wheel and the needle still move. On my electric 99k loosening the balance wheel stops them moving. Once I’ve loosened the balance wheel, I don’t seem to be able to tighten it up again!
Winding the bobbin is too much of an effort too - something’s not right!
Can anyone point me in the right direction please?

ETA - caught my thumb in the wheel spokes! Not sure that she likes me at the moment! Currently talking to her nicely! Ouchy...

Many thanks x
« Last Edit: December 04, 2019, 17:19:55 PM by mums sewing machine »
No such thing as too much fabric

Lilian

Re: Singer 99k - she’s fighting back!
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2019, 20:33:31 PM »
I had that with one of my machines, can't remember if it was the 99k or not, but the needle only moved intially after loosening the balance wheel then stopped moving.  As for tightening back up, I wonder if the disc under the wheel nut is on the right way, there is a little notched bit that should be in the right place.  I'll find a video to explain.

This should help  :)  good luck  :vintage:
Willing but not always able :)

Radiofan

« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2019, 22:21:19 PM »
It's sticking due to old oil. Best take the balance wheel off and give it a good clean with fresh oil.
Singer 538, there are many like it, but this one is mine.

mums sewing machine

« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2019, 11:46:59 AM »
Thank you both for your replies

@Lilian thanks for the link - watched the videos and it doesn’t seem too daunting!

Thanks again x
« Last Edit: December 05, 2019, 11:59:08 AM by mums sewing machine »

mums sewing machine

« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2019, 14:08:15 PM »
Hmmmmm - well I followed the YouTube videos and cleaned, oiled and put back together. Movement is smoother now, but still have the same problems as before!
I’m going to dismantle again, to look at the bobbin winder mechanism this time, and I’ll repeat the cleaning and oiling while it’s all in pieces once more.
Hey-ho...

LeilaMay

« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2019, 11:21:35 AM »
Good morning  :)
So which problem is it that you still have - the needle continuing to move when you've loosened the clutch
or
the bobbin winder not spinning as it should?

If the needle still moves the issue is definitely in the handle and clutch mechanism. Try changing the the little "eared" washer through 180 degrees and trying again.

If the bobbin winder won't turn, does it turn when you move it with your fingers? Or is the whole mechanism stuck? *Be careful to take off the new rubber wheel before you start, don't get oil on it at all - it degrades the rubber.

Let us know how you're getting on. There is an online repair manual somewhere we can find if you're still struggling.

mums sewing machine

« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2019, 11:26:18 AM »
Thanks for your response @LeilaMay

Yep - both problems are still there I’m afraid. I will try and rotate the washer round by 180degrees - it only has 2 possible positions!

Bobbin winder - totally stuck, so I’m going to take it all apart, clean and oil and try again. And yes, I’ll make sure no oil goes on the rubber tyre.

Thanks so much for your advice x

LeilaMay

« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2019, 18:01:08 PM »
When you're working on the handle bit - without the eared washer in place, and the silver centre knob - the spoked handle should rotate on it's spindle without making the needle move at all. If it's sticking, it will be making the needle move - which it shouldn't. Slide it off and try oiling the spindle and slide it back on and try again. .

mums sewing machine

« Reply #8 on: December 15, 2019, 12:37:53 PM »
Yay!

Thanks for all the advice and links again. You are wonderful!
I’ve just spent a couple of hours on this! I took off the handcrank and the balance wheel and had another look at the clutch washer - tried it on all possible ways and have now found the correct position!
I also took off all the bobbin winder mechanism. I’d got a new one from Helen Howes and fitted that (much swearing when a spring flew across the room!), oiled everything and put it all back together.
Bobbin winder now works (in theory as I’ve not put a bobbin on it yet, but it’s all moving as it should), and the needle doesn’t move when it shouldn’t! Happy!

Now I need to look at the tension - not today tho!!

Thanks again x :D :vintage:

rubywishes

« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2020, 09:59:12 AM »
@mums sewing machine how have you been getting on? Are you and the 99 "on first name basis" yet or is it still "biting" you! 0_0
Juki TL2010Q, Juki DX7,  Singers: 1917 27K treadle (aka Gertie), 1957 99k (aka Vincent), 1951 99k knee lever (aka Shirley), 1950 99k handcrank (aka Alice), 1927 28K (aka Dora), 1947 201K treadle with motor conversion (aka Livvy)
....and the dusting and vacuming can wait!

arrow

« Reply #10 on: January 12, 2020, 12:14:10 PM »
Good to hear things are working. It's a common problem, in some cases I have had to take off the hand wheel too, clean and lubricate both the inner of the wheel as well as the metal rod it slides on. The generous amount of oil seems to make a difference.

What was wrong with the original bobbin winder, it might just have needed abit of cleaning tuning and oiling, maybe a new bobbin tyre.

As you well know, a 99K should run light and smoothly when sorted out :- )

mums sewing machine

« Reply #11 on: February 23, 2020, 08:11:31 AM »
Hi

@rubywishes  - well in the end I had to take her to my friend who also repairs machines! I had booked onto a couple of sessions at a local-ish shop, looking at vintage machines, but they got cancelled at the last minute  :( I had fixed the balance wheel myself but couldn’t get the tension right. He’s now fixed that for me and she’s good to go...

@arrow  - yep I got the wheel working fine, so satisfying!! The bobbin winder - I’m not sure. The original one on the machine wouldn’t move, I oiled and oiled it and I will oil it some more. But I replaced it and that helped loads, but the rubber didn’t seem to make full contact with the bit it was to run against (don’t know what it’s called). I think it’s a matter of realigning the mechanism into the correct place. I did ask my friend (see above) to have a look so hopefully that’s sorted now too...

Now I just need a nice little project to sew....