The Sewing Place

Foam rubber supplier recommendations please

sewingj

Foam rubber supplier recommendations please
« on: October 07, 2019, 13:05:23 PM »
I am planning to make a cushion for my LLoyd Loom chair so will need some foam rubber.  There seem to be loads of supplliers on the internet so I wondered if anyone has a favourite?

The cushion doesn`t match any of the standard shapes so I will have to send a template.  I think I will need 4inch firm foam plus polyfibre wrap and stockinette.  I can`t work up much enthusiasm to put the measurements into every website to work out which is cheapest!

Greybird

Re: Foam rubber supplier recommendations please
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2019, 13:33:02 PM »
I have bought it from Ebay but can't remember which supplier. I think you look for the nearest size up from what you need for the price and then they cut it to size for you. Was a while ago though.

toileandtrouble

« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2019, 13:41:02 PM »
I used efoam for some garden seat cushions and was pleased with the service.  Choice of foams, quick delivery.
Yarn down:  1000g
Fabric down:  29m

BrendaP

« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2019, 15:24:31 PM »
DD, who makes curtains and soft furnishings professionally uses Martins, she sometimes has deliveries, sometimes collects in person as they are fairly local to here.  They will cut to size from a template.

https://martinsupholstery.co.uk/

Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

snoozi soozi

« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2019, 15:40:12 PM »
@BrendaP Martins website say they're trade only.... :S

Dunelm stock it if there's one near you
Let it sew, let it sew, let it sew

Mocarroll

« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2019, 21:57:47 PM »
I’ve just bought 4 replacement cushions for a sofa from foam.  They were the cheapest on the internet. I ordered on Sunday evening and they were delivered FREE first thing on Tuesday. Great service.

sewingj

« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2019, 10:57:22 AM »
@Mocarroll   do you mean "efoam"?  They are the ones I am most drawn to at the moment

sewmuchmore

« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2019, 18:06:44 PM »
@sewingj Another recommendation for efoam. I replaced all the cushions on my sofa, 4 chairs and the seating and bed on the boat. The boat stuff needed a template and they were spot on. I did make the mistake of ordering the wrong foam for the boat seating but they replaced it.
It's not easy being this perfekt

Janet

HenriettaMaria

« Reply #8 on: December 05, 2019, 14:01:44 PM »
We're in the middle of reupholstering our dining chairs and decided to replace the rather thin foam with something more comfortable.  We got the foam, wadding and bottoming cloth from here

https://www.upholsterywarehouse.co.uk/

They do foam in various thicknesses and either in big sheets or pre-cut squares.

I ordered online on Sunday and it arrived on Friday.  I imagine that if you're desperate you could order online and save a bit of time.  It was fine for us - it's a two-handed job involving a lot of stapling so it's strictly weekends!