The Sewing Place

Rough pins

snoozi soozi

Rough pins
« on: December 04, 2019, 16:48:22 PM »
A few of my pins have 'gone rough' - they don't slide into fabric very well. What causes this?
Let it sew, let it sew, let it sew

Ploshkin

Re: Rough pins
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2019, 17:19:57 PM »
They shouldn't have rust on them.  Have you used them on anything involving adhesive? They could be sticky.
As soon as I have a pin that is defective in any way I throw it away - I have a sharps box on the window sill.
Life's too short for ironing.

Deafoldbat

« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2019, 19:40:00 PM »
Have you been sewing over them? They get roughed up that way too.

snoozi soozi

« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2019, 19:40:45 PM »
I don't think they're rusty but now you mention it, I may have pinned a pattern piece that has been sellotaped together. I'll give them a wipe  ;)

snoozi soozi

« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2019, 19:43:42 PM »
@Deafoldbat yes, I do sew over pins, doesn't everyone? Should I sit on the norty step?  ><

Acorn

« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2019, 20:33:31 PM »
I'll shuffle along and make space for you @snoozi soozi...  ;)
I might look as though I'm talking to you, but inside my head I'm sewing.

Ohsewsimple

« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2019, 21:42:01 PM »
No, it’s very dangerous to sew over pins.  At best you might put the timing out on your machine....expensive mistake.  At worst, the pin or needle could break and fly up towards your eyes.   :o

Lilian

« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2019, 22:35:20 PM »
I only sew slowly over pins and not all the time  :o  ;)
Willing but not always able :)

Holly Berry

« Reply #8 on: December 04, 2019, 23:43:38 PM »
I made myself a wrist pin cushion, with velvet covering a foam rubber dome. I stopped using it as I found it blunted pins.
Procrastination get behind me

Missie

« Reply #9 on: December 05, 2019, 10:42:36 AM »
I made myself a wrist pin cushion, with velvet covering a foam rubber dome. I stopped using it as I found it blunted pins.

You need to fill it with sand instead as sand apparently keeps pins sharp!

b15erk

« Reply #10 on: December 05, 2019, 10:48:33 AM »
I've had batches of cheap pins which are rough, and they can really pluck, and damage fabric.

Some I bought in the cheap Chinese shop in Tenerife - they were very prettily displayed.  Others came as gifts, and you don't realise until you try using them how terrible they are. 

Like Plosh, I keep an old vitamin containers for dud sharps - reduces accidents.

Jessie
Jessie, who is very happy to be here!!  :),  but who has far too many sewing machines to be healthy, and a fabric stash which is becoming embarrassing.

Flobear

« Reply #11 on: December 05, 2019, 11:41:45 AM »
Sorry, every time I see this fred I can't stop myself thinking, "Rough pins do shake the darling buds of May". Apols. to Shakespeare, W.

I'll get me coat  :ninja:

Proud new owner of Elvistoo !!

HenriettaMaria

« Reply #12 on: December 05, 2019, 12:42:00 PM »
I sew over pins that are perpendicular to the fabric but only if absolutely necessary - I'd rather remove them before they or the needle break!

Kwaaked

« Reply #13 on: December 05, 2019, 13:14:23 PM »
New pins can also be rough.  I buy the 5000 Iris bucket and still have rough and unsharpened pins throughout.  And pins do get dull from use.

I don't generally sew over them, not that I an a purist on this count but because of college/type of machine.

« Last Edit: December 05, 2019, 13:17:35 PM by Kwaaked »

Holly Berry

« Reply #14 on: December 05, 2019, 18:16:08 PM »
You need to fill it with sand instead as sand apparently keeps pins sharp!

My mouse pin cushion has emery sand in the base and it does keep the pins sharp. As it was for wearing on my wrist I wanted something lighter, but it didn’t work.
Procrastination get behind me