The Sewing Place

Let's talk bling

b15erk

Let's talk bling
« on: December 05, 2019, 09:14:48 AM »
This granddaughter of mine has expensive hobbies!  She dances, ballet, tap etc, but her greatest passion is gymnastics.  She's recently been asked to join a more advanced group and will be doing competitions.  All well and good, but between the dance costumes and practise leotards, it's becoming very expensive.

So, Nana has decided to give the leotards a go, particularly as the latest one was £25 - with her name picked out in gemstones at the back.  It's not a difficult design, and I bought a great lump of metallic lycra a while ago intending to try some ballet leos.

I'm sure it's going to be a lot more difficult than I expect, especially coming to terms with negative ease, but it's the gems which are worrying me.  I haven't used them for years, and have dug some old ones out to practise by putting gemstones on my Christmas Stockings.

Now here's where I'm a bit stuck.  I have a hotfix tool, but when the glue melts, it can make a 'glue ring' around the gem.  Also, the tip gets full of old glue which I'm afraid will transfer to the lycra - particularly on light colours, so, if anyone has any advice I would be very grateful.

Also, is there a simple way to mark the design on the lycra as a guide for the gemstone placement.  On woven fabric, I would mark the design on the back, sew over it, and then stick the gems on, but I don't think that will work with lycra.   

Finally, suppliers.  The gems I'm using were left over from the bunting I made for DD's wedding eight years ago, and I have no idea where I bought them from.  If anyone has the name of a good cheap supplier I would be very grateful.  I don't think I need Swarovski (sp?) just yet, just a sparkly gemstone.

Thanks for letting me rabbit on.  It would be nice to be able to put a Nana-made leotard into the new Gymnastic/Ballet bags that Father Christmas is bringing.

Jessie :S
Jessie, who is very happy to be here!!  :),  but who has far too many sewing machines to be healthy, and a fabric stash which is becoming embarrassing.

jintie

Re: Let's talk bling
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2019, 09:31:31 AM »
Won't gemstones dig into her back when she does roly polys?
Rottweiler with scissors

Iminei

« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2019, 09:38:47 AM »
When I needed some bling I was pleasantly surprised to find a great supply in The Range for very little cost ...

Anitas Gemstones come in Multiple colours too and are, I think, very inexpensive ... They are not very big, but  that suited my purposes perfectly!

The Range do have other gemstones available too and I stuck them down with Gemtac which tho' pricey is excellent.

When I went to festival in 2017 I was armed with a small tub of stones and some glue, just in case any had fallen off in transit (the Undersea Quilt) !!!

Can you imagine The Stewards horror on seeing a member of the public approaching a quilt on show with glue ???? hahahahaha

In the event, not one had moved so a really excellent glue which dries clear.
The Imperfect Perfectionist sews again

b15erk

« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2019, 10:03:56 AM »
I've been practising my blinging on my Christmas stockings, and I'm getting the knack now.  My Christmas stockings are well embellished - I just need to get quicker!

Just ordered more supplies from Amazon - it's amazing how quickly the gems get used up.

The hotfix tool is a bit of a bother though, the residue which builds up, can make a nasty mark.  I'll see if OH knows of anything which will remove it.

Found a brilliant way to mark designs is to use those pens which disappear with heat - the pen mark goes every time you stick a gem on!

So, as soon as the stockings are done, I'll be trying a leotard!  :)

Jessie
Jessie, who is very happy to be here!!  :),  but who has far too many sewing machines to be healthy, and a fabric stash which is becoming embarrassing.

Lollipop

« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2019, 17:39:56 PM »
Hi @b15erk I use rhinestones from quite a few suppliers but lately have had some lovely sparkly gems from Rhinestones and Crystals who have a presence on Facebook. Quite cheap, lovely range of colours and fast delivery. Another UK supplier for non branded stones is Magpie Crystals. I also like Eimass but they are a bit more expensive. If you have time in future to wait for AliExpress try Rhinestone and Jewellery World.
I have mixed cheap Chinese crystals with the same colour of Swarovski and the difference was definitely NOT worth the price difference imho. ;)
Was Sewnanny

Marniesews

« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2019, 19:38:37 PM »
Two sources of very good sparkly stones at phoenomenal prices Rhinestone HQ and Magpie Crystals (Facebook only). Both are exceptionally good at those prices, Magpie are cheaper but have a smaller colour range.

For glues I have two suggestions, GemTac or DSI Jewel Glue. No nasty toxins and easy to use. We use both, DH who does the lion's share of the stoning prefers DSI BUT if you want to use up any left over hotfix stones, use GemTac for that. I bought some in error a year or two ago and had no problems using the GemTac to glue them. When we used them with the DSI glue on some sparkly Christmas lycra leggings however, they all fell off in the wash. Fortunately we always wash anything with stones in a laundry bag, just in case.

It can become addictive though, so pace yourself and avoid placing them under arms or any areas where they will physically rub repeatedly against another part of the costume or bare flesh.
Hopefully back more regularly! Ballroom sewing may be permanently paused but bag making is the current focus.

b15erk

« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2019, 11:36:45 AM »
Thank you both so much @Marniesews and @Lollipop , I've made a note of those suppliers, but I think it will be New Year before I get to use them!

Jessie