The Sewing Place

Rotary cutters, no luck with using them

pip

Rotary cutters, no luck with using them
« on: December 07, 2019, 05:41:23 AM »
I've tried good brands and generic, and I can't get the hang of using them. Even with a new blade inserted I can't cut smoothly. I tend to go back to scissors when I'm in danger of accidentally cutting off the edges of the pattern, but I'd love to be able to use the rotary cutter as easily as I see other people in the videos :)

WendyW

Re: Rotary cutters, no luck with using them
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2019, 06:32:10 AM »
Are you using them with rulers for straight cuts, or trying to cut things with curves? I do fine with straight rulers, but do not have enough steadiness to handle cuts around shapes.

HenriettaMaria

« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2019, 10:57:26 AM »
@pip I'm with you - never got on with the things.  I much prefer shears :snip:

Helen M

« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2019, 12:00:48 PM »
I've not had much luck with them either. Much easier with scissors!
Stash Busting 2024 - Goal: 25 metres
So far:  1.5 metres  ------ Donated : 0 metres
Items decluttered: 55

SkoutSews

« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2019, 13:22:11 PM »
Scissors for me, too. Perhaps if I were a darksider I might find a rotary cutter useful, cutting smaller pieces of fabric and many straight edges. As a dressmaker, I just can't see how it would help.

Kenora

« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2019, 14:12:25 PM »
I do dressmaking plus P&Q, so I'm in both camps. I've always used rotary cutters for P&Q - never scissors - they aren't accurate enough, but I'm talking about using a rotary cutter with a purpose-made ruler for P&Q. For dressmaking I always used to use scissors until I thought "well, I love the rotary cutter for P&Q, so why not for dressmaking?". I tried using my 45mm rotary cutter on the long, straight pattern pieces - it was fine. I could even use a ruler for some parts. Then I used my 28mm rotary cutter for going round the curves, neckline, armscye, etc. That worked well too, so now I mostly use rotary cutters all the time, with the occasional use of scissors for very small, fiddly pieces. :)
Minding my P's & Q's in Portreath

pip

« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2019, 14:24:41 PM »
Well I've tried with rulers and without, on curves. I can 'steer' the thing ok, but it doesn't cut all the way so I have to finish off bits with the scissors. But mainly, it doesn't feel right, doesn't feel smooth and clean cut, kind of jerky like when you're learning to drive.  :\

Marniesews

« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2019, 14:32:43 PM »
Pip gives the perfect description of my own experience. It seems especially unfriendly with lycra which I use a lot and even with new blades and an edding cutting mat. It's not because I'm a bit blade phobic (which my daughter is) as I used a scalpel without problem for presentation work in my job for many years.
Hopefully back more regularly! Ballroom sewing may be permanently paused but bag making is the current focus.

snoozi soozi

« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2019, 16:56:30 PM »
The rotary cutter took a while for me to get to grips with and I almost didn't bother but having persevered I now love it. I mainly cut garment pieces with the odd bit of craft here and there so both straight lines and curvy bendy bits but I now prefer it to scissors.
Let it sew, let it sew, let it sew

Ellabella

« Reply #9 on: December 07, 2019, 20:41:57 PM »
I find a rotary cutter much more accurate than scissors when cutting knits.

Lollipop

« Reply #10 on: December 07, 2019, 21:40:00 PM »
I love mine, although using lycra and net I do go through a lot of blades. I use for straight cutting with a metre rule and freehand around curves. I do still use scissors too - they complement each other.

Was Sewnanny

Nevis5

« Reply #11 on: December 08, 2019, 09:40:55 AM »
I wouldn't be without mine, either.  As a lefty I find them invaluable for cutting properly close to the seam lines.  I was wondering if maybe you were pressing a bit hard on your cutter,  @pip  ? Sometimes that can make it hard to cut straight with them.  Also if you are having to snip bits with your scissors, you may need a new blade.  Some fabrics, as @Marniesews  says, like lycra, etc, blunt them in an instant.

Good luck x

BrendaP

« Reply #12 on: December 08, 2019, 09:53:22 AM »
I am another who is fine using the cutter against a ruler for straight cuts (patchwork pieces) but not for cutting outdressmaking stuff.  Good sharp shears/scissors every time for that.
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

pip

« Reply #13 on: December 08, 2019, 11:52:27 AM »
I could be pressing too hard @Nevis5  because I don't know how hard you're meant to press and also because it doesn't feel like it's going to cut thru if I don't. Possibly the blade is blunt, again, because I don't know how often they need changing and right after I changed the blade it was still happening. Maybe I need a better quality cutter. Also I'm a bit nervous when I do it so maybe that affects it.  I'll try changing the blade again and not pressing as hard!   

Elnnina

« Reply #14 on: December 08, 2019, 12:03:10 PM »
May I add a word of caution to those changing the blade on a rotary cutter for the first time.  Carefully look and note which way the pieces go on the cutter, as if you put part of it back in the wrong way you will have problems - I learnt the hard way.