The Sewing Place

Fleece

Vezelay

Fleece
« on: December 03, 2019, 21:33:55 PM »
I've decided to make some snoods for Christmas gifts - quick and easy once I have the right fabric.

On YouTube videos I see them using a very stretchy soft fluffy (on both sides) type of fleece. It's neither the polar fleece I'm familiar with (which doesn't really stretch) nor brushed sweatshirt fleece which is only brushed on the one side and stretches only a bit.

So what am I looking for? I see something called cuddle fleece - is that it? Any ideas please? Ideally I want about 4 half metres.

Catllar

Re: Fleece
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2019, 23:47:40 PM »
I think it's called Minky.
If life gives you lemons, add to gin and tonic !

BrendaP

« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2019, 00:21:43 AM »
Cuddle fleece has a longer pile than minky.  Both are softer than polar fleece.  Minky sometimes has a  'dimpled' texture.

I haven't used minky but cuddle fleece is easy enough to work with using the overlocker, BUT it does tend to stretch a bit on the cross grain (weft if it were woven) and I have had a couple of horizontal seams give way/ladder under a bit of stress.
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

Vezelay

« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2019, 19:26:25 PM »
Thanks - I'll have look at both minky and cuddle. I think what I had in mind is something that has the texture of the brushed side if sweatshirt fleece but with that on the outside and with good stretch. Not too plush or thick though, just cosy. It will be reversible, so two layers sewn together.

Bodgeitandscarper

« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2019, 19:29:11 PM »
Maybe microfleece would work, especially if you want two layers.  Cuddle fleece usually has quite a pile, almost fur-like.

Vezelay

« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2019, 22:51:14 PM »
Aha! Just had a look and I think it could indeed be micro fleece I want @Bodgeitandscarper. I've found some that states it's stretchy and it looks right. I'll look again tomorrow and see can I source some at a reasonable price (delivery is often the issue).