The Sewing Place

Christmassy garment needed fast!

Acorn

Re: Christmassy garment needed fast!
« Reply #15 on: December 09, 2019, 14:17:00 PM »
It looks to me as though it would make an excellent waistcoat. 

Maybe you could make it so that the waistcoat would also work as a sleeveless top, which you might get further wear from in the future (since you could put a black blouse or jacket over it).
I might look as though I'm talking to you, but inside my head I'm sewing.

SkoutSews

« Reply #16 on: December 09, 2019, 16:06:59 PM »
Could you use the fabric for a mobius strip scarf? There are instructions and/or videos out there.

A waistcoat would be nice, but sounds like a lot of work  :S

UttaRetch

« Reply #17 on: December 09, 2019, 16:14:58 PM »
Here's the said charity shop frock.
Remove the bodice and refashion the skirt.

Vezelay

« Reply #18 on: December 09, 2019, 18:04:31 PM »
Remove the bodice and refashion the skirt.

Yes, I reckon there should be enough in the skirt for a waistcoat. I'll find a free pattern see if it will work.

Could you use the fabric for a mobius strip scarf? There are instructions and/or videos out there.

I love this idea (had to look it up) but it really needs fabric with some drape and I think mine is too stiff.

I was chatting with an orchestra colleague today who is horrified by our new Christmas "dress code", so it's not just me!

Missie

« Reply #19 on: December 10, 2019, 08:12:43 AM »
I think I'd be inclined to stitch a bit of tinsel the sleeves and lower edge of a black jumper (I was going to suggest neckline but it would irritate me so haven't, although clearly I have now  0_0).  Quickly catch it down so it is easily removed, some kind of festive hat and away you go.

annieeg

« Reply #20 on: December 10, 2019, 08:30:04 AM »
@Missie
Like your idea and might use it myself over Christmas.
I HATE jumpers but have a nice simple black cardigan that would lend itself very well to a bit of tinsel.
Thanks for the tip. :D
annieeg

Gernella

« Reply #21 on: December 10, 2019, 11:19:31 AM »
I am so glad I am not the only one that hates Christmas jumpers.  My local Morrisons has the staff in them and one lady had a black jumper with just some sparkles in the centre of it.  It did look very nice and when I mentioned it she did say that a few people had said the same.  So yes, black and sparkles is the way to go for a bit of elegance amongst the tat. .
Stash extension 2024- 6.1 meters
Left at the end of 2023 - 66 meters now (includes fabric found hidden out of sight)  Lining fabric not included

wrenkins

« Reply #22 on: December 10, 2019, 11:55:00 AM »
Psst!
Steal @BrendaP 's hat!  :ninja:
Harbouring resentment is like swallowing poison and waiting for the other person to die!

Missie

« Reply #23 on: December 10, 2019, 16:03:56 PM »
@Missie
Like your idea and might use it myself over Christmas.
I HATE jumpers but have a nice simple black cardigan that would lend itself very well to a bit of tinsel.
Thanks for the tip. :D
annieeg

You are welcome.  Can you tell I have children who tell me last minute that they need a costume?  0_0

So Chic

« Reply #24 on: December 10, 2019, 16:38:45 PM »
I'm another who hates Christmas jumpers, in fact, I don't like fancy jumpers of any sort.  I'd just go with a bit of glitter that can be discarded at the earliest possible moment. 

Also I'm fed up with all the magazines, etc. saying that we all need "party" dresses and they all seem to cost a small fortune.  I have one posh frock about ten years old that does for all occasions, I've even worn it to a funeral.
So Chic
Bernina Artista 630, Bernina 800DL, Janome Cover Pro 1000CP and an elderly Singer Touch & Sew 720G as a back up

UttaRetch

« Reply #25 on: December 10, 2019, 17:02:40 PM »
Yes, I reckon there should be enough in the skirt for a waistcoat. I'll find a free pattern see if it will work.
I wasn't thinking of turning the skirt into a different garment, but rather removing the bodice and using the bottom as a modified skirt.

coffeeandcake

« Reply #26 on: December 10, 2019, 18:49:26 PM »
Following nup on Missie's idea of applying tinsel.  One year I took a black long-sleeved T-shirt and sewed some fluffy white stuff round the neckline, wrists and hemline.  You could also attach a Christmassy patch on the front using wash-away fabric glue.

Vezelay

« Reply #27 on: December 10, 2019, 19:28:26 PM »
Yes @Missie that could definitely work. There's tinsel in a bag in the loft (up you go DH dear).

Meanwhile I found a rather nice scarf I bought a few years ago and forgot! Wore it once I think. What d'you reckon - any good?
  [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]  

Vezelay

« Reply #28 on: December 10, 2019, 19:40:36 PM »
I should probably mention that no one in the audience will see my lower half. It'll be stuck behind a music stand on the back row. So no fancy skirt, just plain black trews (where in my memory did I fetch that word from?  0_0)

Acorn

« Reply #29 on: December 10, 2019, 20:32:34 PM »
I think that scarf works perfectly - it looks lovely and you're entering into the spirit without being coralled into clothes you're not comfortable in.  Nice one!   0_0
I might look as though I'm talking to you, but inside my head I'm sewing.