The Sewing Place

Christmassy garment needed fast!

Vezelay

Christmassy garment needed fast!
« on: December 08, 2019, 21:00:06 PM »
I'm playing in a Christmas concert in town with the orchestra next Sunday afternoon and last night this came in an email as an oh by the way

"Instead of our usual black dress code, we have decided to make this concert less formal, so everyone is invited to wear a Christmas jumper or something bright and festive."

Well thanks a lot! I have no Christmas jumper and nothing bright and festive - nothing, honest, Unless you count a red fleece or DH's red gardening tee shirt. Oh, and no festive fabric in my stash unless you count dark purple ponte. And I'll be busy most of the week. Best I can come up with at the moment is seeing if our local fabric shop has something I could fashion into a glittery waistcoat/vest. That or wear some of our Christmas tree tinsel.

Practical suggestions please...

SkoutSews

Re: Christmassy garment needed fast!
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2019, 21:22:53 PM »
Don't you just loathe this assumption that we all have a "Christmas jumper" lurking in a drawer somewhere! Can you get hold of (beg, steal or borrow) a scarf or wrap in 'festive' colours and wear it over your usual black clothing? Don't allow yourself to be be bullied.

Bodgeitandscarper

« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2019, 21:39:54 PM »
I'd just wear whatever you usually do, with a bit of tinsel.  I'm another one who doesn't have a "christmas jumper or bright and festive".
« Last Edit: December 09, 2019, 16:23:10 PM by Bodgeitandscarper »

Acorn

« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2019, 21:46:38 PM »
I agree with the scarf or tinsel idea.

I'm getting unseasonably annoyed with the Save the Children jumper day adverts.  I keep telling that boy that it would make much more sense for everyone if I DON'T to buy a jumper that I will only wear once a year (and not happily) and to give more than the £2 they are asking for so that I can NOT wear it.

Although, to be honest, I'm more likely to give the money to a charity that hasn't tried to inveigle me into buying clothes I don't like or need.
I might look as though I'm talking to you, but inside my head I'm sewing.

UttaRetch

« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2019, 22:06:18 PM »
@Vezelay, if you feel constrained to go along with this dictate just get a cheesy Christmas jumper.

Lachica

« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2019, 22:23:16 PM »
I'd be annoyed at such short notice too. Wrap a length of tinsel round your neck (unless you're the violinist) :o
Mary
2020 stash: not gonna count, not gonna feel guilty.

Vezelay

« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2019, 22:34:43 PM »
@UttaRetch that crossed my mind too but it would pain me to pay money for something I know I'd never wear again. A quick recce while in Tesco this morning only confirmed that!

@SkoutSews I forgot DH has a red scarf. Knowing him it'll need a wash but could work. Actually I have an ancient green scarf/stole that was my mother's. Good suggestion. Possibilities emerging  :).

« Last Edit: December 08, 2019, 22:37:24 PM by Vezelay »

Greybird

« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2019, 23:02:25 PM »
Charity shop?

Vezelay

« Reply #8 on: December 08, 2019, 23:33:20 PM »
Charity shop?
That reminds me I have some kind of fancy red taffeta charity shop skirt in my the scrap fabric box I keep for crafts. It won't be wearable but worth a look tomorrow. Maybe I could do a kind of GBSB alteration Challenge  -<
« Last Edit: December 09, 2019, 07:57:24 AM by Vezelay »

wrenkins

« Reply #9 on: December 09, 2019, 07:18:16 AM »
Stick a Santa hat on top! Nothing says jolly like a nylon hat!

I'm one of a group of dissenters/conscientious objectors in work who pays to my charity what I would have spent on tat. Not Bah Humbug, just economic sense.
Harbouring resentment is like swallowing poison and waiting for the other person to die!

Tim Sr

« Reply #10 on: December 09, 2019, 07:43:20 AM »
Stick a Santa hat on top! Nothing says jolly like a nylon hat!

I'm one of a group of dissenters/conscientious objectors in work who pays to my charity what I would have spent on tat. Not Bah Humbug, just economic sense.
I have to agree with @wrenkins and add the scarf, call it good for such short notice.
Remember that the stage will probably be hot during the concert, and the hat and scarf will add to the discomfort so take plenty of water.
If you really "Want" to make a jumper then purple would be fine. But why waste good fabric for a one off one occasion thing. If you play an oboe or clarinet, then candy stripe the instrument  0_0 and if you play a string instrument, candy stripe the bow shaft.

Tim
Sew it up, Rip it out, Sew it up, Rip it out, Sew it up...check the pattern..Rip it out!

HenriettaMaria

« Reply #11 on: December 09, 2019, 11:40:25 AM »
I'm in agreement regarding cheap, gimcrack Xmas woollens.  My 'Xmas' jumper is a Gudrun & Gudrun snowflake jumper (think Sarah Lund) but in navy ground and pale grey pattern (colourway now discontinued).  It is wearable for all of Dec & Jan.  It would be wearable longer than that but it is so dang warm!   NB - they're pricey - mine was a treat when I got a fairly sizeable end-of-year bonus a few years back - so probably not something you buy on a whim!

Any Fair Isle-type sweater in a jolly colour (ie, not beige, brown or muddy greens) would do the trick and be wearable outside of the two weeks either side of Xmas, especially if you add something sparkly on your head, ears or neck! 

UttaRetch

« Reply #12 on: December 09, 2019, 13:46:30 PM »
Arthur Christmas reindeer slippers.  I'll get me coat.

Vezelay

« Reply #13 on: December 09, 2019, 13:55:47 PM »
Here's the said charity shop frock. Please don't say wear it as it is or I'll go off and sulk. It's large and I'm not, the venue will be chilly, and clarinet players don't wear frocks/skirts when playing seated.

Think GBSB Alteration challenge - 60 minutes. I was thinking simple waistcoat/vest. Otherwise not a clue. Imagination not my forte. Fabric is kind of stiff.

I may just stuff it back in the box so it's only a thought.  [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]  
« Last Edit: December 09, 2019, 13:57:34 PM by Vezelay »

Catllar

« Reply #14 on: December 09, 2019, 14:07:25 PM »
I'll send you  a Christmas jumper from our local little dress shop: they're a snip at a mere 105€ each and yes they have reindeers and Father Christmas on them! Who the heck would pay that much!!?!?!
If life gives you lemons, add to gin and tonic !