The Sewing Place

Hi from NZ

badgermat

Hi from NZ
« on: December 08, 2019, 21:21:31 PM »
Hi all,

I’m new to the forum and new to sewing.

That said, I’m not a complete stranger to home-made clothes as my mother was a former theatrical set designer and wardrobe mistress, so we all grew up in outfits that were designed to be seen from a distance and maintained on a daily basis.

Oh how I yearned for shop-bought clothes as a seven-year old :)

What that did leave me with though was a huge intolerance to things that don’t fit. So, now I have a bit of time on my hands I thought I’d take the opportunity to learn some core sewing skills so I can do my own alterations. Oh and maybe treat my new grandson to a little of our family tradition for oddly home-made outfits.

Things to expect of me: stupid questions, lack of realism about my actual skill level, guilty enjoyment of the Great British Sewing Bee.

Things not to expect of me: competence, any desire to show the results of my amateurish rag-stabbing.

Right, now to go and see what’s happening.

bm

Bodgeitandscarper

Re: Hi from NZ
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2019, 21:41:50 PM »
Hello, and welcome.
I'm sorry to tell you, but we will be demanding photos of things you make  0_0 0_0

Acorn

« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2019, 21:42:19 PM »
Welcome!

Questions are never stupid - ask away!  We will, however, pester you for pictures... because we love pictures!

Oh, and most of us like Sewing Bee - there are a few who get very frustrated by it, but most of us enjoy/like/love it.   :)

[Crpss-posted withn Bodge, who agrees with me!]
I might look as though I'm talking to you, but inside my head I'm sewing.

UttaRetch

« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2019, 22:13:05 PM »
@badgermat  : thank you for your entertaining introduction.  I especially like '… family tradition for oddly home-made outfits' and '... amateurish rag-stabbing.'

Don't be afraid to ask questions, we don't bite, well not very hard.  :D
« Last Edit: December 10, 2019, 11:52:23 AM by Iminei »

Greybird

« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2019, 23:03:46 PM »
Hello and welcome!

fajita

« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2019, 23:49:00 PM »
Welcome, @badgermat  :flower: :drink:

Vezelay

« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2019, 23:56:25 PM »
Hello from me too :). GBSB was responsible for igniting my own interest so it has a lot to answer for. As others have said, we look forward to seeing graphic images of your efforts  :)

Silver Rose

« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2019, 07:06:40 AM »
Welcome @badgermat
Still learning

Puzzler

« Reply #8 on: December 09, 2019, 07:09:37 AM »
Welcome to TSP.  :drink: :cake:

Sewingsue

« Reply #9 on: December 09, 2019, 07:22:40 AM »
Hello and welcome.
Bernina Aurora 440QE, Brother BC-2500, Singer 99K (1938), Juki MO-654DE overlocker, Silver Viscount 620D overlocker.

Tim Sr

« Reply #10 on: December 09, 2019, 07:32:51 AM »
Welcome @badgermat
"Oh how I yearned for shop-bought clothes as a seven-year old"
I have to say I remember the same as you at 7 years old or earlier.
I too am new to this forum and to sewing as well. I have found this to be a wonderful place to come for advice, suggestions and a wealth of information. You are in a GREAT place here.

Tim
Sew it up, Rip it out, Sew it up, Rip it out, Sew it up...check the pattern..Rip it out!

Renegade Sewist

« Reply #11 on: December 09, 2019, 07:35:50 AM »
Well hello @badgermat ! Make yourself to home, have some snacks  :drink:  :cake:  :gin: and ask away. I'm with @UttaRetch  about your intro. Trust me, you will fit right in with this crowd. It's an entertaining and talented crowd. Theatrical clothing as a child sounds like fun. Who needed to play dress up? Your Mother dressed you up in costumes everyday. Sounds like a dream childhood to me.

When I see photos of my own Mothers made for me garments I have a better understanding of why I like the unusual and weird in my fashions. A lot of my clothing matched the living room curtains, collars were just sewn on outlines of decorative stitching. My love of crop pants seems to come from outgrowing my pants as a child.
Hey Bill! Read the manual!  Hehehe.

Lachica

« Reply #12 on: December 09, 2019, 07:43:28 AM »
Welcome @badgermat
"Oh how I yearned for shop-bought clothes as a seven-year old"
I have to say I remember the same as you at 7 years old or earlier.
Tim
Well put, I remember it well - made for my kids until they learnt the difference - now inflicting on my grandchildren. We definitely need to see pictures but not of the insides, that's for the maker to know and others to imagine as beautifully finished.
Sad to read of the volcano & flooding in NZ at the moment. We were there in March, a week before the Waiho bridge was washed away last time. Thinking of all the people affected by the floods.
Mary
2020 stash: not gonna count, not gonna feel guilty.

b15erk

« Reply #13 on: December 09, 2019, 09:16:31 AM »
A bit late to the party, but a big welcome from me too.  Look forward to seeing some of your projects!

Jessie
Jessie, who is very happy to be here!!  :),  but who has far too many sewing machines to be healthy, and a fabric stash which is becoming embarrassing.

Helen M

« Reply #14 on: December 09, 2019, 10:04:12 AM »
Hello @badgermat welcome to TSP!
Stash Busting 2024 - Goal: 25 metres
So far:  3.0 metres  ------ Donated : 0 metres
Items decluttered: 72