The Sewing Place

Hi from NZ

badgermat

Re: Hi from NZ
« Reply #15 on: December 09, 2019, 10:18:22 AM »

Thanks to everyone for the warm welcome.

I will, of course, show pics of every alteration I do and claim the entire garment as my own :)

bm

mums sewing machine

« Reply #16 on: December 09, 2019, 11:30:51 AM »
Hi and welcome from me too @badgermat

Where are you from in NZ? We used to live just north of Welly. I’d move back in a heartbeat....
No such thing as too much fabric

snoozi soozi

« Reply #17 on: December 09, 2019, 13:02:52 PM »
I will, of course, show pics of every alteration I do and claim the entire garment as my own :)

bm

I hadn't thought of that  ;)

@badgermat welcome along
Let it sew, let it sew, let it sew

pip

« Reply #18 on: December 09, 2019, 17:00:13 PM »
Hi badgermat, it's wonderful to see you here :) I pricked up my ears when you said about making things for your new grandson. I'm loving making things for my own grandchildren, the latest of whom is 4 months old. It's such fun making little things which take less than half a yard of fabric and are so quick and cute, like diaper covers (although we call them nappies here). I love browsing the tutorials with the free patterns, they are brilliant. I'm not new to sewing, however I'm a bit amateurish, so in a sense a newbie too, well, new to lots of aspects of it. When I started sewing, we didn't have the internet! Anyway, a warm welcome to you!

Gernella

« Reply #19 on: December 10, 2019, 11:28:32 AM »
Just curious @badgermat, but since I have never had anything to do with sewing stage clothes, what does designed to be seen from a distance mean? 
Stash extension 2024- 6.1 meters
Left at the end of 2023 - 66 meters now (includes fabric found hidden out of sight)  Lining fabric not included

Iminei

« Reply #20 on: December 10, 2019, 11:55:12 AM »
any desire to show the results of my amateurish rag-stabbing.

Welcome to TSP @badgermat  ... Im afraid part of the ethic of our family is that we do post lots and lots of pics ...

and never mind that you may think that NZ might be out of our reach ...  :devil:

We have agents EVERYWHERE  :ninja:
The Imperfect Perfectionist sews again

Lilian

« Reply #21 on: December 10, 2019, 12:01:26 PM »
Welcome @badgermat I know what you mean, I am better viewed from a distance  ;)  :drink:  :)
Willing but not always able :)

badgermat

« Reply #22 on: December 10, 2019, 23:56:28 PM »
what does designed to be seen from a distance mean?

Haha ... in truth, it was a slightly facetious remark.

But my mother did have a penchant for clothing with big features, big colours/patterns, designs that allow relatively easy movement, closures built for rapid changes, and not being over concerned about details. All of these things are valid (or even useful) when garments will rarely be viewed from any closer than the front stalls.

Many of these features also made it into the clothes we wore   -<

bm

badgermat

« Reply #23 on: December 10, 2019, 23:58:53 PM »
Hi and welcome from me too @badgermat

Where are you from in NZ? We used to live just north of Welly. I’d move back in a heartbeat....

Auckland. Which, despite feeling very remote from the world sometimes, just now feels like we're a safe distance from it. Volcanos notwithstanding.

bm

Kenora

« Reply #24 on: December 11, 2019, 11:16:42 AM »
A warm welcome from me too @badgermat . :flower:
Minding my P's & Q's in Portreath

Ohsewsimple

« Reply #25 on: December 11, 2019, 11:35:52 AM »
Bit late but welcome to the group.   :)
No question is too stupid on here.  The only stupid one is the one you don’t ask. 
The internet has been wonderful for connecting like minded people across the world.  When I started to sew seriously I was the only one.  None of my friends sewed.   Magazines were just about non existent.  I scoured libraries in the vain hope of finding something really interesting.  A lot of what I learned at that time came from using Vogue patterns. 
My mum also sewed for me and I remember some of those garments that I wore till they almost fell apart. 

badgermat

« Reply #26 on: December 25, 2019, 06:37:01 AM »

Okay, so when I said I was new to this I wasn't kidding.

Here's my first ever project. Christmas Day red trousers for Jasper, my grandson.

Butchered together from a promotional tee-shirt I happened to have lying around. Made the design up myself, guessing at the size. Only took me two hours, a bit of blood on my brand new sewing machine (stabbed myself with a pin) and a lot of swearing :)

Enjoy my dubious finishing.

bm

wrenkins

« Reply #27 on: December 25, 2019, 07:15:01 AM »
HaHa! Absolutely brilliant. Nothing quite like throwing yourself in at the deep end.
Does he like them (seems to) and did you learn anything?
Keep up the good work!
Harbouring resentment is like swallowing poison and waiting for the other person to die!

badgermat

« Reply #28 on: December 25, 2019, 09:45:24 AM »
Does he like them (seems to) and did you learn anything?

He's 10 weeks old, so I'm not wholly sure that liking them is in his capability set yet. But he doesn't dislike them, so that's a win.

As for learning, yes heaps. Mostly about how stretchy jersey is and how fernickity sewing machines can be when you catch a thread on something. Also, never use kitchen scissors for cutting fabric. Bad mistake :(

bm

Lollipop

« Reply #29 on: December 26, 2019, 00:03:08 AM »
Welcome @badgermat and can I say that Jasper is adorable  :loveit:
Was Sewnanny