The Sewing Place

Remodelling a rtw coat

Bodgeitandscarper

Remodelling a rtw coat
« on: December 09, 2019, 09:40:15 AM »
Not only do I usually alter patterns, but I often alter bought items as well.

The latest is a softshell coat.  I couldn't be bothered to make one, so bought one that I quite like, but they have tried to put so much detail into it that, as it's thick softshell, it's just ridiculously bulky in places.  It has a false front inner section with zip as well as an outer zip with placket over. 
The first bit to get rid of was the inside zipped chest pocket - who wants a pocket on their boobs?  At one seam, there were five layers of the thick fabric, so out came the pocket and the pocket welt, leaving an uncovered zip to nowhere - now much less bulk there!
The next bit to go has been the false inner front - it had a collar as well as the main coat collar - how many layers that wouldn't fold down??  Much better without it now, and I just need to sew a little bit of the grosgrain ribbon off the inner (removed) section along the neck seam to tidy it up.
Next may be a look at the hip pockets - yup, lots of layers.  I may remove the pocket bags and put in some from a thinner fabric, but not sure yet.
I will get this coat to be more wearable!

BTW, in case you wonder why I bought it, I ordered four different ones, and this one was the only one that was anywhere near to fitting that I liked.

b15erk

Re: Remodelling a rtw coat
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2019, 09:48:17 AM »
What an interesting project Bodge.  Look forward to before and after pics!

Jessie
Jessie, who is very happy to be here!!  :),  but who has far too many sewing machines to be healthy, and a fabric stash which is becoming embarrassing.

jen

« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2019, 12:16:04 PM »
I never thought of buying to alter, but given the costs of the various bits and pieces you need for coats this strikes me as a darn good idea.

Bodgeitandscarper

« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2019, 19:24:39 PM »
Some pics of removed bits, and the coat as it is now.

Bodgeitandscarper

« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2019, 19:26:36 PM »
« Last Edit: December 11, 2019, 19:28:46 PM by Bodgeitandscarper »