The Sewing Place

Christmassy garment needed fast!

SkoutSews

Re: Christmassy garment needed fast!
« Reply #30 on: December 10, 2019, 21:36:12 PM »
Perfect, that'll do the trick.

Went to choir tonight. Guess what? "Please wear Christmas jumpers for the concert!"

BrendaP

« Reply #31 on: December 10, 2019, 21:39:58 PM »
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

SewRuthieSews

« Reply #32 on: December 10, 2019, 22:12:21 PM »
I will admit that I've gradually picked up a number of Christmas themed garments
- a plain navy jumper with a white polar bear on it
- a navy jersey dress covered in a gingerbread man print
- a cream man's t shirt with a bear wearing a scarf
- 2 blouses one cream, one navy with small Christmas prints (good for work)

There are a number of ideas online for taking a plain sweater/cardigan and applying removable decorations. I quite like the stars embroidered with contrast yarn.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LaPLWd6bV7Q

I also have some Christmas earrings (holly/reindeer) and brooches (tree, snowflake, reindeer) which I add to a 'normal' outfit for interest.
I work in an office that does really like Christmas - there's a contest to decorate the bays.
For the craziest days I have a santa hat, elf hat or reindeer antlers.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2019, 22:56:33 PM by SewRuthieSews »

Vezelay

« Reply #33 on: December 10, 2019, 22:34:25 PM »
@SewRuthieSews, it sounds like you could open an entire Christmas shop! Although even if you didn't possess anything suitably festive I've no doubt you could whip up a whole matching outfit overnight  0_0

Went to choir tonight. Guess what? "Please wear Christmas jumpers for the concert!"
Oh no!!! What's wrong with these people?

Conclusion: I think I will probably wear my scarf then, but it's been fun pondering everyone's suggestions so thank you  :).

SewRuthieSews

« Reply #34 on: December 10, 2019, 23:04:23 PM »
My make in the last half an hour.

Old plain navy purchased sweater.
A ball of sparkle yarn from an inexpensive shop.
A yarn needle.

I did a simple running stitch in the shape of my (slightly wonky) star/snowflake and then threaded the yarn through the running stitch tying off at the back.

Missie

« Reply #35 on: December 11, 2019, 08:33:43 AM »
Goodness me @SewRuthieSews, I thought that was a spider at first as I scrolled down and saw the top part come into view!  Lovely idea and so (or should that be sew) quick and easy!

WildAtlanticWay

« Reply #36 on: December 11, 2019, 09:23:19 AM »
School said the same thing regarding my son’s nativity play and his last Christmas jumper is far too small so I sewed some battery operated lights onto his black sweatshirt and a little pocket on the inside to hold the battery compartment.
This was taken last night at a distance but you can see him quite clearly.

Vezelay

« Reply #37 on: December 11, 2019, 09:55:40 AM »
Was that a suggestion for my concert apparel @WildAtlanticWay0_0

I see that at least one other parent saw the edict and thought "feck it, I'm not spending money on a Christmas jumper he'll have grown out of by next year"

UttaRetch

« Reply #38 on: December 11, 2019, 10:18:09 AM »
I see that at least one other parent saw the edict and thought "feck it, I'm not spending money on a Christmas jumper he'll have grown out of by next year"
I commend that parent, but I wonder how her child felt.  Children are such conformists and don't like to be thought of as different or to be left out.

@Vezelay: I would ignore the edict.  What are they going to do, send you home?

Sewbusy

« Reply #39 on: December 11, 2019, 10:35:59 AM »
Horses for courses isn't it? Everyone has differing taste, likes or dislikes, As long as it's right for you that's OK. I dress to suit me, not other people.

Christmas jumpers? if someone wants to spend the money for an item they wear just a couple of times in a year or brave the  "Didn't you wear that last Christmas?" comments , fine.