The Sewing Place

Hi from Minnesota, USA

whisker21

Hi from Minnesota, USA
« on: December 10, 2019, 14:55:42 PM »
Hello, everyone. 

I picked up my first sewing machine about a week ago (Janome New Home ML 3023) and the first thing I did was disassemble and get it in working order.  It required quite a bit of oil and a touch of grease, as a couple of parts were locked up.   ;)  Now it's working like a charm.  I have no idea if this is a good sewing machine or not, but at $30 USD, I figure it's a good starter machine. 

So far, I've made a skull cap and a simple glove from t-shirt material (to practice my skills) and hemmed some maternity jeans for my wife last night after watching a YouTube instructional.  The look she gave me when I completed a quality product was priceless.

This forum seems like this a great place to swap ideas and learn some really good tips and skills.  Thanks for having me!

Helen M

Re: Hi from Minnesota, USA
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2019, 15:09:52 PM »
Hello @whisker21  and welcome to the forum!

I'd say you have got yourself a great little machine for $30! Have Googled and it's the same as the Janome My Excel 2023 which has had many new names over the years. I had the My Excel 3018 (5 less stitches as it was a lot more ££ than the 3023 at the time!) bought around 1990. Fast forward to 2011 and I re bought it as the Janome 4618LE as the first had a few problems and I got a great price on a new one. These machines are workhorses and I'd say are the same as the Janome HD models. Put it this way I bought a computerised Janome and I don't use it as this one just does what I want.

Shout up if you have any queries. Did you get any extra feet with it?

« Last Edit: December 10, 2019, 15:11:56 PM by Helen M »
Stash Busting 2024 - Goal: 25 metres
So far:  3.0 metres  ------ Donated : 0 metres
Items decluttered: 72

Acorn

« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2019, 15:10:51 PM »
Welcome!   :drink:   :)
I might look as though I'm talking to you, but inside my head I'm sewing.

Greybird

« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2019, 15:12:06 PM »
Hello and welcome!

whisker21

« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2019, 15:27:26 PM »
Thanks for the history on my machine, Helen M!

It sounds like I have a little workhorse on my hands.  That's encouraging.  I did get a zigzag foot and ordered a kit of feet from sewingpartsonline.com, so I'll have some more training to do!

StitchinTime

« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2019, 15:37:42 PM »
Hello and welcome to TSP.

If the $30 didn't include a manual, there is one free to download on the Janome website.
(It this is not the correct machine, other "retired" machines are listed here.)

snoozi soozi

« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2019, 16:32:41 PM »
@whisker21 welcome, looking forward to seeing your creations   :)
Let it sew, let it sew, let it sew

Lilian

« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2019, 17:15:11 PM »
Welcome @whisker21  :drink: :)
Willing but not always able :)

Ohsewsimple

« Reply #8 on: December 10, 2019, 17:49:16 PM »
Welcome.  I’m sure you’ll find plenty of help on here should you need it. 

Iminei

« Reply #9 on: December 10, 2019, 18:05:45 PM »
Welcome to TSP, we have some really knowledgeable peeps here so ask away!
The Imperfect Perfectionist sews again

whisker21

« Reply #10 on: December 10, 2019, 18:16:22 PM »
Thanks, @StitchinTime !

I did download the manual and had previously found an OEM parts list, which has already been helpful.  I appreciate the assist!

fajita

« Reply #11 on: December 10, 2019, 18:37:53 PM »
Welcome, @whisker21  :flower: :drink:

Helen M

« Reply #12 on: December 10, 2019, 19:03:55 PM »
Thanks for the history on my machine, Helen M!

It sounds like I have a little workhorse on my hands.  That's encouraging.  I did get a zigzag foot and ordered a kit of feet from sewingpartsonline.com, so I'll have some more training to do!

I forgot to add that it is still sold today as Janome 5024!
Stash Busting 2024 - Goal: 25 metres
So far:  3.0 metres  ------ Donated : 0 metres
Items decluttered: 72

Puzzler

« Reply #13 on: December 10, 2019, 19:59:23 PM »
Welcome from me too. Enjoy your sewing exploits and don’t forget to show us what you make.

Tim Sr

« Reply #14 on: December 10, 2019, 21:25:16 PM »
@whisker21 Welcome!! Glad you are here.
Fantastic on reviving the Machine and breathing new life into the poor thing. Sounds like we are of the same cloth, not afraid to dig in and find the problem. It is good to know there will be someone else here that has mechanical abilities, although these fine ladies here are quite capable I am finding. There are also a few good men here too! The same can be said for them as well.
Sounds like you ahead of me on ability to sew, and I would love to see a picture of the Skull cap, and everything else you sew up. I am pondering trying my hand at a beret.

Tim
Sew it up, Rip it out, Sew it up, Rip it out, Sew it up...check the pattern..Rip it out!