The Sewing Place

Hi from Dorset, UK

JudyN

Hi from Dorset, UK
« on: December 10, 2019, 15:43:44 PM »
Hello all :)

I'm not much of a sewer... I am the proud owner of my mum's 60-year-old electric Singer 201K (she 'upgraded' years ago) and I did go through a phase of making clothes, but badly... I can't even stitch in a straight line :| However... I have sensory sensitivities which mean I can't stand tight waistbands and I have a few stretchy garments (including tights) that I'd like to try altering. But my trusty Singer only does straight stitch and I don't have a zig-zag foot for it so I'm wondering whether to hunt down a zig-zag foot or to take the plunge and buy a new sewing machine.

So that's me - I'll post for advice in the appropriate section later (when I've worked out which the correct section is!) :)

snoozi soozi

Re: Hi from Dorset, UK
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2019, 16:34:41 PM »
@JudyN hello, welcome, I too cannot sew in a straight line but it never stops me from trying  0_0
Let it sew, let it sew, let it sew

Acorn

« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2019, 17:02:01 PM »
Welcome!   :drink:  :)

My lines aren't particularly straight, but it's amazing how often it doesn't show!!
I might look as though I'm talking to you, but inside my head I'm sewing.

Flobear

« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2019, 17:05:26 PM »
Hello @JudyN and welcome.
Another Dorset resident here - east side of the county. You'll find lots of advice, help and encouragement in TSP and, probably, like me, you'll end up buying doing things you'd never imagined!
Proud new owner of Elvistoo !!

Helen M

« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2019, 17:10:51 PM »
Hello @JudyN , welcome to the forum!
Stash Busting 2024 - Goal: 25 metres
So far:  3.0 metres  ------ Donated : 0 metres
Items decluttered: 72

Lilian

« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2019, 17:15:53 PM »
Welcome @JudyN  :drink: :)
Willing but not always able :)

Ohsewsimple

« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2019, 17:54:15 PM »
Welcome to the forum.  Sewing in straight lines is just a matter of practise.  You can use an old needle, remove the thread and use some lined paper to practise  on.  However, don’t get too hung up on it to start with.  Just enjoy the process of sewing.  Who cares if the lines aren’t straight at the start.   :)

Iminei

« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2019, 18:01:11 PM »
Welcome from myself, located in Deepest Darkest Dorset ... Where abouts are you????

At this rate next year we could have a TSP Christmas party!!!!

The Imperfect Perfectionist sews again

fajita

« Reply #8 on: December 10, 2019, 18:58:41 PM »
Welcome, @JudyN  :flower: :drink:

JudyN

« Reply #9 on: December 10, 2019, 19:13:42 PM »
Welcome from myself, located in Deepest Darkest Dorset ... Where abouts are you????

At this rate next year we could have a TSP Christmas party!!!!

Ooh, party!!! 0_0 I'm definitely not in one of the deep and dark parts of Dorset - I'm close to Poole. Where are you?

Thank you everyone for the lovely welcome. I've spotted a couple of dog avatars... might just add my dog as mine!

Puzzler

« Reply #10 on: December 10, 2019, 19:56:29 PM »
Can I come to the party? I am from south eastern Dorset - well not originally but as of last March. Welcome Judy and to your  :woof:

JudyN

« Reply #11 on: December 10, 2019, 20:40:53 PM »
Can I come to the party? I am from south eastern Dorset

Same as me then :) It's a small world!

Tim Sr

« Reply #12 on: December 10, 2019, 21:15:48 PM »
@JudyN  Welcome to a very friendly place, AND HELPFUL!
"I can't even stitch in a straight line" ...Me either!
I am new here and glad you are hopping into the the TSP pool, pool of some of the nicest people I have met.

Welcome!
Sew it up, Rip it out, Sew it up, Rip it out, Sew it up...check the pattern..Rip it out!

BrendaP

« Reply #13 on: December 10, 2019, 22:03:26 PM »
Welcome to TSP

Sewing in a straight line is only practice, more important is being able to sew parallel to the cut edge with the stitching the correct distance from that edge.

The Singer 201s are greatt workhorses, but they have their limitations; ie only straight stitch.  Whilst my go-to machine for patchwork and straight seams is a 201 I wouldn't be without something that can do zig-zag and a few other utility stitches.  I also wouldn't want to be without an overlocker with all the stretchy fabrics that are around nowadays.

I have a Singer zig-zagger but it's not that good.  On the other hand the Singer buttonholers are brilliant, better than most modern fancy modern machines can do.
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

pip

« Reply #14 on: December 10, 2019, 22:24:58 PM »
Hi JudyN, and welcome from me also. I think if you're thinking of getting back into sewing it'd be worth getting another machine which does more, even a second hand one. Sewing a straight line isn't as easy as one might think!  ;)