The Sewing Place

Linton tweed

Sewsuzie

Linton tweed
« on: April 27, 2017, 14:49:27 PM »
Love their fabrics and have just finished making a fringed jacket for a customer. Super pleased with how it's turned out, as was she, and she's allowed me to show a pic of it.
I've put the pic in the gallery so it's not on view to the rest of the world, as she's wearing it to a wedding next month, and another one in December.
It's based on Burda 6703 https://jaycotts.co.uk/products/bd6703-misses-blazer-jacket#.WQHsout4WrW with added lining and adjustment to front darts. The single waist dart was too wide and threw the grain line of the fabric off too much, so I made a side bust dart and transferred some of it there.
I interfaced all the pieces with a soft iron-on weft insertion interfacing to keep its shape and cut down on fraying (and boy, does it fray!).
After making sample fringe both ways of the fabric, I decided to go with the warp threads and made miles of it, to go round all the edges. Laborious but enjoyable.
It fastens with large press studs under the buttons, covered in a fine silk satin to blend into the tweed - no way was I going to attempt buttonholes on it!
Just finished cutting out a simple shift dress for her to wear with it, so better get cracked on with that.

Suzie  :vintage:
Never let your sewing machine know you're in a hurry

Vegegrow

Re: Linton tweed
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2017, 15:48:51 PM »
That's lovely .. so smart  What colour is the shift dress?
"The only place where housework comes before needlework is in the dictionary." ~Mary Kurtz

BrendaP

« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2017, 17:20:15 PM »
Ooh! That's quite special.  No wonder your client is pleased with it.
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

Fabric Lover

« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2017, 17:27:30 PM »
That jacket is lovely, Suzie well done!
Stitching in Staffordshire with Style! (Well hopefully anyway)

Sewsuzie

« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2017, 17:29:45 PM »
That's lovely .. so smart  What colour is the shift dress?
It's a light taupe satin backed crepe. It does pick out 1 of the colours in the jacket, but it wouldn't have been my choice. She chose it.
There's a lovely electric blue in the jacket that would have looked nice, or I suggested the pale gold that also runs through it.
The jacket is probably a bit brighter than the photo shows.

Suzie :vintage:

Addict

« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2017, 19:25:56 PM »
Suzie the jacket is fab

Ploshkin

« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2017, 19:43:40 PM »
Great jacket, that fabric must have been a challenge to work with.
Life's too short for ironing.

Efemera

« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2017, 20:06:07 PM »
That's lovely... I have a piece of Linton Tweed I bought 25 years ago..maybe I should get you to make it up for me!

maliw

« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2017, 20:16:21 PM »
That's lovely, how long did it take to make? I can see what you mean about the colours for a dress, electric blue would be stunning. I too have some Linton tweed stashed away somewhere that I've had for a few years, I must go and dig it out.
At leisure on the leisure penninsula

Marniesews

« Reply #9 on: April 27, 2017, 20:56:47 PM »
That's an impressive jacket!  :D

Coincidentally I've been reading a lot about the challenges of making a jacket from Linton Tweed in 'The Pink Suit' and its ability to fray and shed is a big feature in it.
Hopefully back more regularly! Ballroom sewing may be permanently paused but bag making is the current focus.

Sewsuzie

« Reply #10 on: April 27, 2017, 21:09:53 PM »
Thanks for all your lovely comments.
Dress is nearly ready for a fitting now.
Ploshkin - the fabric wasn't too challenging, once it was stabilised. The hardest part was getting it all straight on the table, for cutting out, so there were no wobbly lines. Then fixing the interfacing, keeping the shape and grain correct. After that it was pretty ok.
Efemera - I hope I've inspired you to make your own jacket  ;)
Maliw - I think it was 23 hours, including pattern adapting, making toile and doing sample fringing etc. Not a quick job, to say it was speed tailored. Are you inspired to make one now, as well.
Another customer has rung me today to place an order for something similar, in plum colours, for December. Looks like I'll be fringing again!

Sewsuzie

« Reply #11 on: April 27, 2017, 21:22:22 PM »
Coincidentally I've been reading a lot about the challenges of making a jacket from Linton Tweed in 'The Pink Suit' and its ability to fray and shed is a big feature in it.

That is a coincidence. I guess back then, they didn't have such lovely iron-on interfacings. It really did the trick without making the fabric stiff, and the glue really stuck well.
Just googled the book and it sounds like a good read.

Suzie  :vintage:

Marniesews

« Reply #12 on: April 27, 2017, 21:36:35 PM »
... it sounds like a good read.

Yes, I'm enjoying it.  :) It's one of the few books that my daughter has passed on to me to read - she thought I'd enjoy all the sewing bits.  I'm old enough to remember the global shock of the shooting too.
Hopefully back more regularly! Ballroom sewing may be permanently paused but bag making is the current focus.

maliw

« Reply #13 on: April 27, 2017, 21:45:13 PM »
Twenty three hours, that's pretty good going for something that needed pattern matching as well as all the sewing, pressing etc, well done. I got the fabric to make a 'Chanel style' jacket but still haven't got round to doing it. I've got everything ready to make it, lining, chain etc but it got put on the back burner and I think the light has gone out :[
At leisure on the leisure penninsula

Sewingsue

« Reply #14 on: April 29, 2017, 09:50:28 AM »
Yes, I'm enjoying it.  :) It's one of the few books that my daughter has passed on to me to read - she thought I'd enjoy all the sewing bits.  I'm old enough to remember the global shock of the shooting too.
Oh, that Pink Suit (makes note to find out about the book) and I remember that day too.

I see I am not the only one 'storing' some Linton tweed.
Bernina Aurora 440QE, Brother BC-2500, Singer 99K (1938), Juki MO-654DE overlocker, Silver Viscount 620D overlocker.