The Sewing Place

Santa suit fabric

Mamashep

Santa suit fabric
« on: December 13, 2019, 16:55:59 PM »
Many years ago I made DH a santa suit. I could not find velveteen, so made it in cotton, and it has served well. However now that we have 2 grandaughters, it's time for an upgrade.
Has anyone come across a decent non-stretch velveteen in santa colurs at a reasonable price?
The last fabric I ordered off the internet was nothing like the colour shown. I don't need it for this year, but want yto buy it now whilst the christmassy fabrics are easier to find

Acorn

Re: Santa suit fabric
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2019, 17:18:12 PM »
I've bought lovely offcuts of cotton velvet and velveteen from Ralston Fabrics.
I might look as though I'm talking to you, but inside my head I'm sewing.

Mamashep

« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2019, 20:57:07 PM »
They have lovely fabrics, but I noticed it said it may not be colour fast for the first few washes. I think I will need to get a polyester velvet for washability and colour fastness.

arrow

« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2020, 18:04:10 PM »
I found an uk based ebay store with a good reputation. I have bougth two yards of a slik-viscose blend in red. The basic red is very red and suitable for Christmas. My trouble is finding the right hue, I need a dark red, or something like "burnt red". It has a bit of stretch diagonally, but nothing side to side or up and down the bolt of fabric. I'm not a silk expert at all, but the price isnt' bad at all, and I would say it's better quality than most velvets around. I like cotton-viscose velvets too.

I have to add; this fabric has a hint of luxury, but it is light, not the heavy type you might be looking for.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2020, 19:56:30 PM by arrow »

HenriettaMaria

« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2020, 20:33:46 PM »
I made three Santa suits in fairly quick succession, well, in the space of three Xmases.  Two were for the primary school 'Santa's grotto' attraction at the winter fundraiser and one was for the school site manager, who does Santa in his own time elsewhere.  In all cases I used a fairly firm cotton twill weave.  Anything heavier was just too hot to wear, particularly in the confined space of the 'grotto', aka the cubby hole where the photocopier and paper recycling point usually live!

I got the fabric in a shop on North Street (I think) in Chichester, which is where I also got shortish pile fur for the trim and longish pile fur for the beard.  Don't live anywhere near there but MiL lives near Havant so was able to make a trip of it during summer visits.  I used McCall's M5550.

WendyW

« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2020, 22:24:12 PM »
I can't offer any sources, but since temperature has been mentioned, I thought I'd chime in.

I made a St. Nick robe for my husband several years ago. I used velvet, with a satin brocade lining. He has a matching brocade vest. We live in Minnesota and our daytime temps in December are usually in the teens to twenties (f). He wears his robe walking around our downtown, outside, often in wind, and has never gotten too cold, other than feet, hands, and ears. Any time spent indoors, and he is HOT. (I think he's hot regardless, but that's not relevant here. ;) )  I highly recommend considering his usual location when deciding on fabric.