The Sewing Place

Ruler quilting

maliw

Ruler quilting
« on: April 27, 2017, 21:40:22 PM »
I've just been watching a video by Leah Day about ruler quilting. She uses a special machine foot - Bernina, I've had a look and can't find anything compatible with my Janome or Elna. My question is - has anyone done this ruler quilting and if so which machine foot did you use? I've used cut out paper templates and used my ordinary darning foot that I use for FMQ but this foot that Leah uses is 1/2" across and with the needle in the middle will sew a 1/4" width between lines also. It was just a thought, it doesn't help when I think too much as it usually costs me money!!!!!
At leisure on the leisure penninsula

Lilian

« Last Edit: April 27, 2017, 22:18:02 PM by Lilian »
Willing but not always able :)

Lantana

Re: Ruler quilting
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2017, 00:14:16 AM »
I got mine from The Cotton Patch (when they had a promotional sale on I might add!!)

https://www.cottonpatch.co.uk/acatalog/Westalee-Ruler-Feet.html

I've not tried it much as I'm going to try out some piecing techniques to make practise sandwiches rather than just plain squares (feeding two birds with one crumb in other words don't believe in killing them lol). From the little I've tried I can see that having the ruler will give confidence but that like everything else it will take practise. I've got so many quilts that have stalled at the quilting stage that I thought it was worth giving it a go ... but I did feel guilty at buying such an expensive birthday present for myself :)

The Westalee youtube vids have a very bad sound problem so it's worth looking for others. I've just looked at the link that Lillian posted and that was far more help.

Sorry not to be able to give you more insight but hope the CP link helps. I'm sure the staff there could answer any questions if you need more info. about which would be the right foot. On the order form you give the make of machine you are ordering it for. I don't know if that is because there are different designs within the general categories of high, low or medium shank or just so as they can check that you are ordering the right one!

Lanta  :vintage:
« Last Edit: April 28, 2017, 00:21:35 AM by Lantana »

Iminei

« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2017, 09:50:27 AM »
But surely (Shirley) those are just small straight edge rulers you are holding against the foot ???!!!

OK, one is  in the shape of a Dresden plate so you can use it as a template but Jeez Louise its just a straight edge!

I have a 6", a 6 1/2" sq ruler and a 12 1/" sq one all with 4 straight edges, and a 24 x 6 with 2 long straight edges,
not to mention the Binding Tool which doubles as a friendship braid template!

I thought Mali meant the one where your foot sits in a groove in the ruler ?? but then you still have to hold the ruler straight!

For long straight lines try masking tape!

« Last Edit: April 28, 2017, 09:52:39 AM by Iminei »
The Imperfect Perfectionist sews again

Lowena

« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2017, 10:38:46 AM »
I use quilter's "low stick, 1/4" masking tape"  you can even reuse it ( thrifty  ;) )
Triumph of hope over experience :D

Ploshkin

« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2017, 11:34:04 AM »
Maliw, Cotton Patch sell the (Australian) Westalee quilting rulers and do special feet for most machines.  They also have a downloadable e book with a lot of information and videos.  Here is a link

Edit - Sorry, a bit quick on the draw, I've just seen that Lantana gave the link previously.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2017, 11:35:50 AM by Ploshkin »
Life's too short for ironing.

Lantana

« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2017, 14:46:19 PM »
Hi Iminei,  yes if your aim was straight line quilting the ruler would not really be needed although some people might be more confident using one.  :)

The idea of the rulers is that you can do all sorts of other patterns using the various different templates/rulers ... much like is done on a long arm quilter. Of course if you get really good like our Quiltysisty you won't need them but us mere mortals who wish to branch away from straight lines and whose courage fails need a little help!  :)

Never underestimate my ability to get things wrong IM ... I'd manage to go all over the masking tape and have the devils own job unpicking it from the stitches! Maybe I shouldn't be let anywhere near a sewing machine!

Lanty  :vintage:
« Last Edit: April 28, 2017, 14:52:04 PM by Lantana »

maliw

« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2017, 16:15:29 PM »

maliw

« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2017, 16:54:16 PM »
I've just been having a look at the e-book, reading on the back pages it says that most Janome machines use the low shank foot, which is what my Elna is but ........ Horizons use the high shank foot. Ok I get that but my Horizon(it's one of the original ones) uses exactly the same feet as the Elna, now I'm confused. I may have a look if Cotton Patch are at FOQ as I'm not in any hurry. Better get saving the pennies as FOQ is only just over three months away.

Lantana

« Reply #9 on: April 28, 2017, 18:03:25 PM »
Sounds like something you'll need advice on .... maybe that's why they ask on the order form for the make of machine as it's not straightforward?

L :vintage:

rubywishes

« Reply #10 on: April 30, 2017, 00:18:47 AM »
https://www.google.com.au/search?q=is+my+sewing+machine+high+shank+or+low+shank&oq=high+shank+or+low+shank&aqs=chrome.5.0j69i57j0l4.899

If you google you can find out how to determine whether your machine is a high shank or low shank machine. I have the Westalee ruler foot and some of the templates and need/use the Bernina adaptor foot.   I haven't used it extensively yet, only played with it all a bit but am keen to incorporate it with my next quilt project.  The little I have done with it, I have been pleased with the results. My only grumble is that if I ever change machines I am either going to have to stay with the same shank distance machines or buy a whole new set of stuff. :(  I have sent several queries to Westalee as I am the proverbial numpty and they have always been incredibly prompt and helpful in their response....good customer service.  I will say that it took me quite a bit to get Bernice the Bernina "set up" as I had to experiment and drop the presser foot pressure to "the negatives" for it all to work........all explained in the information and emails I got but it still took a bit of trial and error for me to "get it". Once again, Westalee were very good at "hand holding"! :)

And yes, it is really important to get the right foot for your machine otherwise you can damage the machine. :'(

In retrospect, for me, the advantage of the ruler system is that it gives me "ready made" templates and pattern ideas.

« Last Edit: April 30, 2017, 00:23:06 AM by rubywishes »
Juki TL2010Q, Juki DX7,  Singers: 1917 27K treadle (aka Gertie), 1957 99k (aka Vincent), 1951 99k knee lever (aka Shirley), 1950 99k handcrank (aka Alice), 1927 28K (aka Dora), 1947 201K treadle with motor conversion (aka Livvy)
....and the dusting and vacuming can wait!

rubywishes

« Reply #11 on: April 30, 2017, 00:20:45 AM »
woops...how did I do this?
Juki TL2010Q, Juki DX7,  Singers: 1917 27K treadle (aka Gertie), 1957 99k (aka Vincent), 1951 99k knee lever (aka Shirley), 1950 99k handcrank (aka Alice), 1927 28K (aka Dora), 1947 201K treadle with motor conversion (aka Livvy)
....and the dusting and vacuming can wait!