The Sewing Place

Sentinel Jabaru wall hanging (Dragonfly fabrics)

rubywishes

Sentinel Jabaru wall hanging (Dragonfly fabrics)
« on: December 01, 2019, 23:23:10 PM »
I have started my Jabaru wall hanging which I bought for a screaming bargain of $10 AUS (reduced from $45 AUS..including fabrics) some time back at a local quilt show.

I unpacked my little packet of fabrics, worked out which bit of fabric was for which part and then read the instructions with growing trepidation.......I've never used fusible stuff and never done applique....cripes, I still haven't worked out fully how to find all the decorative stitches on my DX7 let alone a suitable applique stitch.

However, 2 days later  I have learnt to use double sided adhesive vliesofix to trace my pattern pieces and fix them to my background and have attempted my first fmq to "make" grass AND I've found my applique stitch on my machine! Grandparent duties call for today so further progress into this mysterious world of weirdness will have to wait but I must say...I am truly chuffed with myself...so far! Just hope it doesn't end up in the bin like the last project!
« Last Edit: December 03, 2019, 08:12:08 AM by rubywishes »
Juki TL2010Q, Juki DX7,  Singers: 1917 27K treadle (aka Gertie), 1957 99k (aka Vincent), 1951 99k knee lever (aka Shirley), 1950 99k handcrank (aka Alice), 1927 28K (aka Dora), 1947 201K treadle with motor conversion (aka Livvy)
....and the dusting and vacuming can wait!

Lilian

Re: Jabaru wall hanging.
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2019, 23:27:05 PM »
That is wonderful, certainly not for the bin  :o.  You have done a great job so far. I love the grass  :)
Willing but not always able :)

Iminei

« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2019, 07:01:01 AM »
Wonderful stuff Rubes!

Were the stones from a stone fabric or ?????

BTW ... Get to the bin before the bin men!!!  :devil:
The Imperfect Perfectionist sews again

Lachica

« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2019, 08:26:31 AM »
That's fab!
Mary
2020 stash: not gonna count, not gonna feel guilty.

rubywishes

« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2019, 08:39:31 AM »
@Iminei yep, the stones were from a gorgeous piece of stone fabric that came with the kit. Just so lovely but unfortunately the piece was only about a fat 1/8th so I have saved what little scraps I have leftover and will probly never use them instead putting them on my bedside table and stroking them each night before I go to bed...ahem....fifty shades of grey happening here :S
Ah....too late...the bin was emptied last week and I did not shed a tear...in fact I have trained my brain into believing it just never happened in the first place! LOL...amazing how a nightly glass of something will help enable selective memory!!
But I fear I may be sinking into the same trap...I have already replaced jabarus's legs in an effort to get him standing straight rather than the slight drunken tilt I had him on when I took the photo. I really do need to get my OCD under control!!!
Juki TL2010Q, Juki DX7,  Singers: 1917 27K treadle (aka Gertie), 1957 99k (aka Vincent), 1951 99k knee lever (aka Shirley), 1950 99k handcrank (aka Alice), 1927 28K (aka Dora), 1947 201K treadle with motor conversion (aka Livvy)

rubywishes

« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2019, 08:08:27 AM »
...and now with the applique done (ends not tied off yet) and the borders put on. Next....sandwich, baste and a light quilting.....oh and I have an eye to put on....and drips of water to go under the raised leg. But, work now for the next 3 days so it will all have to wait....but am very pleased with it so far.

Iminei

Re: Sentinel Jabaru wall hanging (Dragonfly fabrics)
« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2019, 08:25:12 AM »
Its glorious! I love it!

Reminds me of  Hello Flamingo

rubywishes

« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2019, 08:39:20 AM »
@Iminei Oh, pretty, pretty flamingo 0_0 

Iminei

« Reply #8 on: December 03, 2019, 16:42:39 PM »
Not as exotic as your Jabaru!!!

rubywishes

« Reply #9 on: December 18, 2019, 04:58:57 AM »
....and we are finished (except for the hanging sleeve, the  Jabirus' eye and the water droplets around his lifted foot aka beads but that's all going on tonight while I watch the tellie).

I'm not overly happy with the fmq I did on the sky...I might let it hang for a few weeks and if it still bugs me I may unpick it and redo but otherwise I'm pretty happy with the rest of it.  I found doing the applique stitching very easy with the DX and I also ended up using the DX (instead of the TL) for all the fmq as the TL hated stitching on the batik section. The minute I wandered the needle over to another section it was all fine and dandy but it just refused to cooperate when I got near the batik section. I think it might have had something to do with the vliesofix I used to fix the pieces onto the background (as per the instructions) making the already tight weave batik even more resistant. Anyway it got me to try the DX for fmq so that's another new experience under my belt. The fm isn't the best...a lot of uneven sized stitches but for a first effort on a "throwaway $10 bargain" I'm content! I also tried using a ladder/buttonhole stitch to stitch down my binding and I really liked doing that. Mind you, it took me an age to fiddle bout with the DX to find the stitch pattern I wanted as the manual for this machine is woeful but once I discovered the right stitch and was able to mirror it I fell in love with it and I think this will be my "go to" for attaching binding from now on...it's fast, decorative and very forgiving.

« Last Edit: December 18, 2019, 05:01:46 AM by rubywishes »

Iminei

« Reply #10 on: December 18, 2019, 05:01:45 AM »
Wonderful Rubes, just wonderful!!!!!

Puzzler

« Reply #11 on: December 18, 2019, 07:03:39 AM »
Great job! I see you have the DX7 and you have been putting it through it’s paces. I agree about the manual. Looks good when you flip through it but not when you want a clear drawing or good explanation.

rubywishes

« Reply #12 on: December 18, 2019, 09:00:06 AM »
Great job! I see you have the DX7 and you have been putting it through it’s paces. I agree about the manual. Looks good when you flip through it but not when you want a clear drawing or good explanation.

Incredibly frustrating isn't it!

Sheilago

« Reply #13 on: December 18, 2019, 15:24:20 PM »
That is a bargain @rubywishes and it looks wonderful: a work of art and very calming to look at.
 How are you coping with the heat that we keep hearing about on the news? Is it better in Melbourne? Must admit,  I’m glad of our 1C temperature today when I hear about the heatwave, even if it’s now getting dark here at only 3.20 pm.

rubywishes

« Reply #14 on: December 18, 2019, 18:56:47 PM »
@Sheilago , yep, this was a real little bargain that I found at a recent quilt show. Obviously someone had purchased it some time back and had lost interest in doing it and had donated it for sale. I really enjoyed doing it particularly knowing that it had cost me so little so it wasn't a crisis if I stuffed it all up!
Our summer is going to have its brutal days...today is going to be a nice 23C but tomorrows' forecast is for 41C. I love the heat and usually cope well although I have noticed during this recent stretch of hot days that my dodgy little ticker bangs around a bit in my chest if I'm outside watering the plants and pottering in the direct heat. It is a very worrying time with the bushfire season and always so infuriating when you hear on the news how some of our fires are started by idiot firebugs looking to cause misery. A thrashing is too good for the mongrels.