The Sewing Place

Today I made a discovery

Lowena

Today I made a discovery
« on: December 19, 2019, 19:49:50 PM »
I was looking at the lovely work @Stitches had produced with her embroidery machine...when..... she let slip  ;) that you can use it to quilt patterns on a sandwiched quilt. It looks like FMQ but the machine does the work for you  :S You just move the hoop around  :S
So.... some of the work which looks so difficult and technical might be done on an embroidery machine with computerised patterns.
I find that very interesting..... food for thought....... counting my pennies  :devil: :D
P.S. this subject reminded me that I went into EWM today  :S and bought a present  :o ( it was only a pair of thermal gloves and they weren't embroidered  :D )
Triumph of hope over experience :D

Ellabella

Re: Today I made a discovery
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2019, 19:58:20 PM »
@Lowena have you had hard liquor or been hypnotised?

I find it hard to belive you went into EWM without some form of coercion.  Next thing you will be telling us the gloves you bought were green!!!

Bodgeitandscarper

« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2019, 20:05:13 PM »
I think we all suspect that very soon @Lowena will be showing us her new embroidery machine...   0_0 0_0 0_0

Acorn

« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2019, 20:32:18 PM »
So they weren't like these then @Lowena?
I might look as though I'm talking to you, but inside my head I'm sewing.

Lowena

« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2019, 21:16:20 PM »
OMG they certainly were not @Acorn   :D Not were they green!!! They are plain, tasteful, dark grey and for OH  :P
I did find a force field blocking the shop entrance @Ellabella , but I was brave and pushed through....as Next didn't have any and I was desperate  :D
I'd be tempted @Bodgeitandscarper if there wasn't so much faffing about to do with them....and...apart from quilting, I wouldn't know what to embroider  :S

Iminei

« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2019, 20:58:56 PM »
These maybe?

[ You are not allowed to view attachments ]  
The Imperfect Perfectionist sews again

Lowena

« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2019, 22:19:19 PM »
But what would I do with them @Iminei ???

datcat23

« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2019, 22:53:09 PM »
@Lowena ....... I don't mean to enable ...... but here I am .... enabling away.

This was a QAYG baby quilt I made for a friend.

Front by Dani, on Flickr

And the back, so you can see the quilting.

Back by Dani, on Flickr

I will be doing more of this next year, I love the idea that the machine does it for you. 
The barefoot seamstress:  smelling vaguely of lavender and mothballs, and desperately craving chocolate.
2024:  Mending:  2  | Fabric used:  2.5m | Items made:  1  |  Quilts:      |  Fabric destashed:  25m

Lowena

« Reply #8 on: December 22, 2019, 11:24:08 AM »
But, @datcat23 does it still feel like your work if the pattern is set and the machine just gets on with it?

Iminei

« Reply #9 on: December 22, 2019, 11:58:26 AM »
@Lowena make them into hairslides, brooches for your beloved granddaughters?
The Imperfect Perfectionist sews again

Stitches

« Reply #10 on: December 22, 2019, 12:08:02 PM »
But, @datcat23 does it still feel like your work if the pattern is set and the machine just gets on with it?
Yes Lowena it does still feel like your own work.will show you how it works .

Celia

« Reply #11 on: December 22, 2019, 12:14:31 PM »
@Lowena That is always my problem I don’t always feel connected to the project.

Lowena

« Reply #12 on: December 22, 2019, 12:22:44 PM »
@Iminei my granddaughters are teenagers......think of what a 15yr old would think of a butterfly hair slide  :D :D :D :D :D :D
Thanks for the suggestion though <3

datcat23

« Reply #13 on: December 22, 2019, 20:56:42 PM »

@Lowena ...... you aren't a passive part of the process.  You are still piecing the top and sandwiching the blocks, you have to source and choose the embroidery design, you still have to load the machine and make sure its doing what you want, where you want it.  If its QAYG blocks, well then of course you still have to put the finished blocks together.  If its a whole quilt ...... wow! I'm impressed .... I haven't done that yet. 

I have an entire quilt top with my friend who has a long arm machine, and she will be quilting it for me.  Her quilting it doesn't make it any less my quilt.  So quilting on my embroidery machine doesn't either.   
The barefoot seamstress:  smelling vaguely of lavender and mothballs, and desperately craving chocolate.
2024:  Mending:  2  | Fabric used:  2.5m | Items made:  1  |  Quilts:      |  Fabric destashed:  25m

Lowena

« Reply #14 on: December 22, 2019, 22:29:59 PM »
I would worry about it not feeling like mine if I had it longarmed as well. Perhaps it's silly of me -<