The Sewing Place

Interesting discussion re:"semi-industrial" sewing machines on Facebook!

KayK

Re: Interesting discussion re:"semi-industrial" sewing machines on Facebook!
« Reply #15 on: January 17, 2020, 13:06:33 PM »

Just because a machine is a Bernina doesn't necessarily mean it's a good specimen. The high (inflated) prices sometimes delude the naive buyers.

Very true.  Back in the 70's a lot of sewing machines in schools and colleges were Bernina as they were thought to be the most reliable and repairable - however I wouldn't want to buy one as I reckon they had serious mischief done to them by some pupils!

I am constantly amazed by the prices asked for some Singer Featherweights - I have seen £600 being asked.  That is of course not to say that it sold for that much. 
I have learnt by my mistakes: Sewing machines now are Bernina 720, Bernina 1008, Bernina 801 from 1981, Brother overlocker, ancient but works well

Sewbusy

« Reply #16 on: January 17, 2020, 15:43:29 PM »
@KayK There are a few Singer 222K Featherweights for sale on Market place atm. if you have £1000 to spare!

Kwaaked

« Reply #17 on: January 17, 2020, 23:58:50 PM »
I just turned a featherweight into a hand crank and removed the motor and will let my 8 year old learn to sew on it.  You should have seen the comments I got for that, and it ranged from destroying the machine to me being mental for allowing a child to use that expensive machine (aside from the fact it looks like a toy).

No one paid attention to the fact that the motor had been on fire before.
The wiring was shot throughout the machine due to that fire.
Fixing it was more then the machine was worth.
I spent a week cleaning, oiling and refurbishing the machine to make it work.
Doing this made it usable and not a boat anchor.

toileandtrouble

« Reply #18 on: January 18, 2020, 04:41:06 AM »
Did  they offer to buy and fix it?  I thought not.  An excellent  introduction for your daughter to a lifetime pleasure.  Much better than one of those horrid toys.
Yarn down:  1000g
Fabric down:  29m

Rhapso

« Reply #19 on: January 18, 2020, 17:55:10 PM »
But... I thought an industrial SM is defined as a machine that usually is astonishingly fast, has just one function (eg straight stitch or buttonholing), an external clutch motor and needs plenty of space because of the size of the table, etc., and a technician in attendance to make any adjustments? Also, try moving one! In truth, a purely domestic application would be silly, I think.

Seriously though, it is marketing speak as pp have said to the uninitiated and I guess the moral of the story has to be 'Buyer beware'. Personally, if a poor metal domestic machine had spent its days in a surfer dude's bedsit mending sails or repairing motor bike seats, I wouldn't want it. ;)

Kwaaked

« Reply #20 on: January 19, 2020, 04:44:11 AM »
Did  they offer to buy and fix it?  I thought not.  An excellent  introduction for your daughter to a lifetime pleasure.  Much better than one of those horrid toys.

Nah, of course not.  Of all of them, this is the one my daughter likes.  The industrial scares her, the 201 is too big, my 128 hand crank goes too fast for my liking for her and the treadles are a bit more complicated then she wants to mess with. 

She is already scared of sewing with "real" machines...even with a finger guard.  Part of her perfectionism is in there too, I suspect.  So, I got the part that one rotation is one stitch...so it is nice and slow, even if it isn't the most economical in terms of use.  Nice thing is: it's my machine.  Is it stupid to give a kid a machine every one else seems to want?  Maybe.  I know I've got more money in it then it is worth, but how do you put a price tag on a machine that your kid feels is just right for them?  (You can't.)

As to real industrials, my sales/repair guy came by to check on me and see if I needed anything because he was in the area and I had a ticket for a screw if he happened to be on the route so I didn't have to have the $50 min order for a 60 cent screw.  I do have all my machines out and he is always amazed at what I have.  He is an industrial machine repair, and I was giving him a hard time about my "semi-industrials", of which I have a few: a Singer 201, a Bernina something or other and every other domestic put into use in the shop. 

His reply: there is no such thing, and we carry no parts for any domestic machines...AT ALL. 

Professional repair guys say they don't exist.  And I can't get a part for them from industrial sewing machine part shops...so...

<mumbles>it's a domestic!

crfrench

« Reply #21 on: February 26, 2020, 11:11:52 AM »
Interesting topic.
I owned a 930 Bernina during a year a few years ago. I had bought it 50 € in Switzerland, so it was worth. I loved it. But I apply to the opinion that it was not a semi industrial machine, just a very heavy and solid domestic one.
Unfortunately, the motor finally crashed (this is their fragility, the metal pieces hold, but after a 40 yers service, well, the motor has issues).
Thus I searched a new one.
I finally chose 2 new ones : one I call semi industrial or professional for straight stitch, and one domestic for zz and stretch stitches.
Talking about the semi industrial one, this is a Juki TL series. I am not afraid to call it semi industrial due mainly to its characteristics whose some are implemented from industrial series. This is not an industrial one, of course, its speed is 1500 / min only, but for the rest, it is quite comparable.

KayK

« Reply #22 on: February 26, 2020, 13:42:30 PM »
I have Juki TLP - I recognise that it does 'borrow' some industrial parts (the threader and the feet, and the relatively high speed).  I absolutely love it.  I use it for fast accurate straight stitching - I love the thread cutter!  I also use it for free motion stitching - the feet are so heavy and non-fragile, as is the pedal, which weighs a ton and doesn't slide around the floor.  I hope you enjoy your machine,  I purchased mine second hand for about  £300 three years ago and nothing would make me change it!
I have learnt by my mistakes: Sewing machines now are Bernina 720, Bernina 1008, Bernina 801 from 1981, Brother overlocker, ancient but works well

crfrench

@KayK, yes, I am just in love with my TL. I've owned 'her' since 4 years and I've never had the least issue with her. Except last summer when I used a too thick thread and she said 'stoooop !'. Well, I dismantled and cleaned her up completely, and she worked like a new one. She is the best machine I have ever had, she sews very thin silk and very heavy jeans as well. I know she is very appreciated by quilters (which I am not), but she does the job wonderfully for sewing clothings too.
Unfortunately, I never found a second-hand one, I had to pay the high price to get her, but I don't regret a second !  <3

Gernella

I'm using (occasionally) a Husqvarna Mega Quilter, similar to the Janome 1600P.  I think the most work it has ever had was when I tried my hand at making a quilted bag and some chair arm covers for DH.   It does work wonderfully well and happily switches from heavy fabrics to light with no need to change the tension.  Yes she only does one stitch but it is a nice stitch.  In a former life she was used to make fabric handbags although when I got her and took her apart, she had obviously never been  cleaned since the day she was bought.  Now, she does not get used much but she always works.  Of course me being me, I have also lusted after the Juki at one time or another but just gave myself a  :fish:

Unfortunately I don't think she is built to work 24/7 for 5 years or more.  When they make recommendations Juki usually comes out on top so their Juki TL series is probably the best and nearest you will get to a professional machine, although I would be out of my depth with 5000 spm on the 'big' ones. 

Going back to the website, it was funny that the section About Us, was actually nothing About Us, just more blurb. 

Stash extension 2024- 6.1 meters
Left at the end of 2023 - 66 meters now (includes fabric found hidden out of sight)  Lining fabric not included

Kwaaked

@Gernella on the SPM, my industrial is considered ultra high speed at 5500.  I think my servo is set somewhere around 2K for the most part.  If memory serves, my Rimoldi overlocker is 2700 on a clutch motor.

Like any other part of sewing, you have to learn to use machines at that speed.  I can sew faster on the machines then I do,